UH Warriors vs. Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH Warriors vs. Idaho

It’s a game being billed as the setup to Hawai‘i’s version of a BCS bowl. Fresh off an invite to the prestigious Senior Bowl, Greg Salas has not disappointed tonight, who along with the rest of UH, has DOMINATED the Idaho Vandals. The Warrior defense has come up strong with interceptions by Mana Silva and Corey Peredes. But the surprise of the night has been the adlibbing of quarterback Bryant Moniz, who had several big runs, not to mention passing the 3,000 yard mark in the air. Don’t know how the Warriors can improve in the second half. They’ve so far, played a perfect game. Keep this up in the second half, and just maybe, the team will receive a national ranking tomorrow.

Hawai‘i over Idaho 31-3 at halftime.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: UH Warriors vs. Idaho

I was downtown checking out Budos Band and Dengue Fever in concert (yeah!), so this was the first game this season I didn't catch on the radio. What I really want to know is how Kealoha Pilares did with the kickoff return duties. Anyone?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      What I really want to know is how Kealoha Pilares did with the kickoff return duties. Anyone?
      I think he did OK, but I couldn’t tell by listening to the radio. Am I the only one who thinks the radio broadcast of the game is terrible? So much commentary about everything except what’s happening on the field. How often have I heard that the pass was complete to so and so, followed by a bunch of commentaries, with me wondering: But did he make the first down? How many yards did he gain? The radio announcers seem to think we’re watching the game.

But that might be better than the Oceanic pay-per-view customers who lost most of the first half, which was when the game was decided.

As for Pilares, of more concern, he pulled a hamstring and didn’t play the second half. I hope he fully recovers for the Boise State game.

Comment

Listening to fan phones on the radio on the way home from the game. When asked of how the team feels about their upcoming game with #3 Boise State, B. Moniz says "it's too bad they're not ranked #1". Great attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          Am I the only one who thinks the radio broadcast of the game is terrible? ... But that might be better than the Oceanic pay-per-view customers who lost most of the first half, which was when the game was decided.
          Actually, only SOME of the Oceanic pay-per-view customers lost part of the first half. I was able to watch pretty much the entire game in beautiful HD, with the exception of eight seconds of black before kickoff... and I was watching on the channel in question: 1255. It would be interesting to know what percentage of customers had a problem, though. Our local news media conveniently ignored this except for a little blurb here and a little blurb there.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I don't think I was surprised that we won, but I was surprised by how soundly we trampled the Vandals. Good thing the second string got some time on the field and meanwhile gave Idaho its one and only touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Thanks to a Facebook friend, this was the first UH game my wife and I attended in person since 2007. Season tickets, south end zone, and for whatever reason, considerably fewer noisy drunk people than we expected (though the blowout sent a lot of people home early). It was great that it happened to be the Homecoming game, and people were in great spirits.

Of course, everyone was wearing green, but I got the bright idea for us to wear our bright red "Kukui High" shirts instead. We stood out like sore thumbs, but got a lot of thumbs up.

Comment

I'm a UH fan too. But I have to ask. Is the UH team "that good" or the talent level of WAC has dropped, with the changes?

What does it matter, they are winning. It's exciting. But I have to wonder as a long time fan.

Comment

50 years ago my stepdad played football for Idaho and remembers coming to Honolulu to play UH, so these two teams have had a long rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                  I'm a UH fan too. But I have to ask. Is the UH team "that good" or the talent level of WAC has dropped, with the changes?
                  I don’t think the talent level has changed too much over the years. Both good teams (BYU) and bad teams (UTEP) have left the conference. They’ve been replaced with fresh squads that have grown up to be BCS contenders (enter Boise State). Others (like Idaho) have been up and down. Hawai‘i’s win over nationally-ranked Nevada (who remains in the Top 25 despite the loss) has proven just how far they have come this season. The biggest test of the season is, ofcourse, still to come.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                  X