Best Part of Today - Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Part of Today - Chapter 2

I saw the brothers pre-DLR in Norwalk, but they were called something else. I knew the kid would make a name.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      I saw the brothers pre-DLR in Norwalk, but they were called something else.
      Before using the Van Halen name, I think they used the names Mammoth and Genesis. Ring a bell for you?
      That was the same time frame when Kenny Loggins was a college classmate and several of us used to play together a couple of times a week. Kenny had a huge ego even then, and that was before Jim Messina found him.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Nope, and those LA bells are getting more distant every day..., but I wasn't surprised when I first heard a cover of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love in '76/'77 and soon found out it was that same kid on his way to the big top. If these guys can keep it adult, with the old kick ass replacing the silliness, they could reignite that fire and do something memorable again.

I'm also hoping for a Messina/Jokers reunion...

Comment

Best part of today so far was scary at first. I was in Kaimuki and saw a big sign in the window of the legenday Harry's Music Store and noticed the interior was pretty empty, and that made it look like they were going out of business. But no, they're just moving a couple of blocks west and will be opening next to that McDonald's on Waialae Avenue in February. Hooray!!! They're staying in business!
          I've given them a lot of $$$ over the years.

Comment

The day got better. Just got a nice pay raise! More money to spend at Harry's Music, I guess.

Comment

What are they moving into, a kiosk on the sidewalk? I love Harry's, especially that last lesson room at the end of the hallway, but how and why they've stayed in business the last 20 years is a mystery, they must be dedicated to their remaining pubic, me and that other guy. Truly a teeny recceeding island in a raging sea, and it saddens me that they're moving from that historic spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                What are they moving into, a kiosk on the sidewalk?
                It's a stand-alone building on the east side of the McDonald's there, mauka side of Waialae Avenue instead of the old makai side. Small parking lot in front, so at least no more street parking! Though I was almost always able to find a spot right in front.

I love Harry's, especially that last lesson room at the end of the hallway, but how and why they've stayed in business the last 20 years is a mystery, they must be dedicated to their remaining pubic, me and that other guy.
                They're *the* source for sheet music, of course, but the bulk of their income comes from the sale of band instruments to almost all of the schools.

Truly a teeny recceeding island in a raging sea, and it saddens me that they're moving from that historic spot.
                I agree. Gonna miss that classic old location.

Comment

Best part of today was putting my son on a plane for Oregon, to continue his college education. Though he will be missed, we are encouraged by his striving for improvement.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Best part of today was just now, finished watching my DVR of last night's episode of Hawaii Five-0. I've always been disappointed that they don't use more Hawaiian music, but at the very end of this episode there were three notes from a nylon string guitar that immediately told me the song was "Hi`ilawe" and moments later the vocals were John Cruz, and they played quite a bit of it. Hooray!
                    There was also a nice promo with John's photo and name and that the song is on the Hawaii Five-0 CD that's been released. I hope that promo aired nationally.
                    Best for me was the memories of playing with John dozens of times back in the day, as several of you here on HT know and attended. And nothing warmed the heart of all of us more than when he did Hi`ilawe. And now there it was again, on national TV, just as he's leaving today for a West Coast tour.
                    Maika`i, John!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      There was also a nice promo with John's photo and name and that the song is on the Hawaii Five-0 CD that's been released. I hope that promo aired nationally.
                      Yep. Can verify mainland CBS audience saw same promo message with "Best Buy" tie-in!

Comment

The day is still young, but I came across a blog with some really good photos taken a couple of weeks ago by someone hiking the trails above Ka`a`awa and also above the Crouching Lion Inn. Here's the link. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          The day is still young, but I came across a blog with some really good photos taken a couple of weeks ago by someone hiking the trails above Ka`a`awa and also above the Crouching Lion Inn. Here's the link. Enjoy!
                          That was cool Likanui! Great photos he took.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I can see my pad!
                            Too bad he only got a fraction of the best hoody in the known world, and called the head of the Sleeping Giant the Lion, which is right nearby and obvious.

Comment

Working...
                            X