Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Part of Today - Chapter 2

Preface... worked 16 hours yesterday.

Getting picked up by a friend shortly and headed up to the back of Ka'a'awa Valley today!!! Ahhh Sanctuary! I'm sooo excited to get out there. Will post photos later...
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Every Sunday morning from 700 to 1100, the city of Cabo San Lucas closes off the downtown streets and makes it into a pedestrian mall for bicyclists, strollers, skate boarders, skaters, and dog walkers. Matapule did about 15 miles of loops on his bike. Then it was back to the casa for a breakfast of Huevos Revueltos y tortillas de maiz. !Que padre!, what a way to start the day! I don't have nothing left to do today.....and I don't know if I will be able to finish that by nightfall.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Matapule, you know that the Baja Ha-Ha group arrived in Cabo on Friday? About 165 boats. Big party at "Squid Roe" yesterday, one of my favorite restaurants in Cabo right behind the "Giggling Marlin."
        Have fun!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Matapule, you know that the Baja Ha-Ha group arrived in Cabo on Friday? About 165 boats. Big party at "Squid Roe" yesterday, one of my favorite restaurants in Cabo right behind the "Giggling Marlin."
          Have fun!
          Yes, I do know, HaHa 17. I came down with HaHa 13. The fleet is anchored out in the bay as I speak. I ran into (not literally) some of the HaHa participants who were out jogging this morning. Was hoping to cross paths with Richard, but didn't see him about.

As far as Squid Roe and Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo........not on my recommended list. I will not patronize them. Too many drug dealers and prostitutes. I'm over the hill as far as frenetic, ear splitting rock and roll and being jostled by drunks. (I didn't go to Squid Roe with the HaHa 13 group either)(it is rumored locally that the owner of Squid Roe uses it to launder drug money). I like to sip a nice glass of aged single malt Scotch with some quiet smooth jazz on the Ipod.

Lika, if you think that Squid Roe has good food, you gotta nother think coming. Stop by for a visit and I will take you to some restaurants at half the price with food that will keep you begging for more (e.g. Los Tres Gallos).

Sunny today, 87F, very light breeze. Pretty darn nice!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Was hoping to cross paths with Richard, but didn't see him about.
            Either hanging out on Profligate or else cruising around taking photos, as you know. Tough job being Grand PooBah.

As far as Squid Roe and Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo........not on my recommended list. I will not patronize them. Too many drug dealers and prostitutes.
            Sounds like things have changed since I was last there, about 15 or 16 years ago. Cabo San Lucas was already turning into a big tourist trap even then (we called it Las Vegas By The Sea), and I'm sure it's developed even more over the years. Shoots, the first time I was in Cabo was in the 70s and it was just a sleepy little fishing village.
            In the 80s and early 90s I did a lot of races from SoCal to Cabo (and sometimes to Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan), mostly on the ultralight 70-footers. All we had on board was freeze-dried food, cold water, and no alcohol at all, so when we'd get to Cabo our first goals were a hot steak, a good drink, and a hot shower. Squid Roe and the Giggling Marlin were fine back then. (Never went to Cabo Wabo Cantina, since it opened after the last time I was there. I saw Sammy Hagar in Cabo a couple of times, but he hadn't built the cantina yet.) I think I wrote about a story from the Giggling Marlin in the RIP Roy Disney thread. (Found it! It's at this link.)
            The last time, I stayed at what's now called the Tesoro Los Cabos hotel right on the harborfront, and it had just opened for business the week before (under a different name).
            The marina in the inner harbor hadn't been built yet. And did they ever get rid of that rickety/risky old wooden fuel dock? I hope they finally built a new one farther inside the harbor, in flatter water!

Stop by for a visit and I will take you to some restaurants at half the price with food that will keep you begging for more (e.g. Los Tres Gallos).
            I'd love that. It'd be nice to meet you and see your boat, though seeing what Cabo is like today would make me sad. (I was first over here in the early 60s, and the overdevelopment here makes me sad too.)
            And of course I'm waiting for you and your boat to get over here!

Lest anyone accuse us of thread drift, I'll say that the best part of today has been reminiscing about Cabo San Lucas.
            Last edited by LikaNui; November 7, 2010, 05:36 PM. Reason: Added the link to the Giggling Marlin post from last year.

Comment

The best part of today was seeing my nephew in a Doritos commercial. It's a contest for the Super Bowl. My nephew is a commercial pilot, and a friend of his created and submitted the commercial. I think it's one of the contest finalists.
              You can see it (and hopefully vote for it) at this link. My nephew is the one in the striped shirt. Can't miss him, even if you do get distracted by... something else.

Comment

KIMCHI!!! I LOVE KIMCHEE!!!!! Best part of today was discovering that I LOVE kimchi!!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

The best part of today is that I just got home with my new computer, after being offline for 6 days.
                  My old one died Monday night. I had it checked out to see if it could be saved, but nope. Dead.
                  The good news is that I knew there would be fantastic prices on Black Friday, and there sure were! I saved hundreds of dollars.
                  The bad news is that it was totally strange being offline and without internet or e-mail for six days. And now I've got tons of e-mails to answer and work to catch up on.
                  Odd thing: just now logged back onto HT fir the first time in 6 days and, as always, clicked on Latest, expecting to see several dozen threads to catch up on. But there were only 7 threads. Has it really been that quiet in here???
                  Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    [...]The bad news is that it was totally strange being offline and without internet or e-mail for six days. [...]
                    Sounds like nirvana to me!
                    [...] But there were only 7 threads. Has it really been that quiet in here???[...]
                    I'm sure there've been more. Doesn't it show just the past 24 hours or sumthin' like that? Helen?

Comment

BEST part of today = power came back on!! and I got a veeeery handsome boy for a thanksgiving present!
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Since we don't have kids, our dogs mean the world to us. My dog Sam became horribly sick on the 23rd- there was blood pouring out when he'd squat, and he had several accidents, which he NEVER has. We had to cancel our Christmas plans and rush him to the emergency vet hospital. They kept him overnight and we were able to pick him up late Christmas Eve. After a short relapse, he seems to be doing much better, and we caught his bacterial infection just in time. The best part of today was him being strong enough to eat all his food and jump up for a snuggle with me.

I love that snuggle puppy of mine.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by surlygirly; December 26, 2010, 01:48 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Whew! Lucky you - lucky Sam! Thanks for sharing the good news of his recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                            Since we don't have kids, our dogs mean the world to us. My dog Sam became horribly sick on the 23rd-
                            Same thing happened to us Christmas, one year ago. Our oldest daughter brought her dog with her to our house for Christmas like she has for his 14 years. Since we don't have any grandchildren, he was our "grand dog!" Christmas morning, while we were unwrapping some gifts, he became horrible sick. He couldn't stand up and was foaming at the mouth. We found a vet who was open on Christmas morning!!!!! and rushed him to the office, about 5 miles away. It will always be a memorable Chistmas for us. He remained in the hospital for 3 days until he was well enough to bring home. It took him almost 2 months to recovery completely.

Unfortunately, he died last August from old age. 14 years finally caught up to that Australian Shepherd. So this was kind of a melancholy Christmas this year without him. We have a picture of him hanging on our Christmas tree and he will always be part of us.

There are always better days ahead.

Comment

* bump *

The last post here was December 26. Or is there a new thread, Chapter 3?
                              Anyway...
                              The best part of today is codeine. Oh, I almost never take pain pills, but a dental surgery five hours ago called for a little relief, even though I usually have a high tolerance for pain. So, codeine. Whooooopeeeee!
                              Afternoon off. Gonna watch the basketball game (go, Dallas!), then the finale of American Idol (go, Scotty!).
                              Hopefully no more codeine, but...

Comment

Looking forward to the Lantern Floating Ceremony from Magic Island this evening @ 6:30pm. Anyone else gonna go?
                                http://www.lanternfloatinghawaii.com/

From the website...
                                "Every Memorial Day thousands of people gather at Ala Moana Beach Park for the Lantern Floating Ceremony led by Her Holiness Keishu Shinso, the spiritual head of Shinnyo-en. The ceremony remembers those who gave their lives in conflict, allows for reflection on the memories of loved ones and dedicates prayers for a peaceful and harmonious future. Just as the waters of the Pacific merge with each ocean, the wish for peace and happiness extends from Hawaii across the globe.

We invite everybody to take part in this meaningful event. The Lantern Floating is free and open to all regardless of nationality, race, faith or lifestyle. Each individual who takes part in the ceremony will bring their own unique life journey, memories, and hopes with them. Each personal experience adds to the healing and transformative power of the event.

For those wishing to make prayer requests, they will be accepted from all people regardless of religious belief. A limited number of lanterns will also be made available to the public (one lantern per family on a first-come-first-serve basis) beginning at 1 p.m on the beach. Your remembrances can also be placed on a community lantern to be released by a volunteer (these requests are accepted until 6 pm)."
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X