• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Irons R.I.P.

What a sad and strange thing. . .

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...way-at-32.html

November 2, 2010 | 4:23 pm
    Legendary surfer Andy Irons has died at the age of 32.

Pete Thomas Outdoors is reporting that the three-time world champion passed away during a layover en route from Puerto Rico to his home in Hawaii, according to the surfer's main sponsor, Billabong.

Irons, who was raised on Kauai, became ill during the Rip Curl Pro Search Puerto Rico, the ninth of 10 events on the 2010 ASP World Tour. He was apparently suffering from symptoms similar to those associated with dengue fever.

Irons is survived by his wife, Lyndie, as well as his younger brother, Bruce, who is a former World Tour competitor.

-- Kelly Burgess
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Re: Andy Irons R.I.P.

Looks like we heard the news at the same time, Tatt.

Comment

indeed, tutu. I also echo your sentiments from your thread. So sad. Also, very strange.
      flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Google is filling up with reports now. If the cause of death is dengue fever, depending on when this article was written, there's been an outbreak in Puerto Rico. I wonder how long Andy had been in PR prior to getting sick.

Comment

or, how/why, he was allowed to travel.
          flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

This is a blog out of Australia that appears to be affiliated with a talk radio station. I couldn't find an "About Us" page!! Anyway, it has more details. Whether there's any fact to them remains to be seen, I guess.

Comment

And more...
              The Star-Advertiser is taking it on the chin for the headline.

Comment

Ouch, quite conflicting stories.
                flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

So sad. AI was one of the greatest watermen the islands ever produced. Condolences to his family.
                  R.I.P.

Comment

Just found out. How sad. I read that his wife was 7 months pregnant. I can't even imagine...Condolences to his family. He will be missed.
                    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Late afternoon, early evening yesterday in Makaha, the sounds of horns couldn't be ignored...horn after horn after horn. I wonder if it was the Oxbow contestants and the crowds way of paying homage to Andy as they were leaving at the end of the day.

Comment

Irons' widow goes to court, seeking a 6 month delay in the release of the coroner's report.

The legal complaint states that because of Irons' celebrity status, "his death has been reported by various news media outlets with the suggestions and innuendo of drug use."

Lyndie Irons said the branding of her husband's company will be "immediately, irreparably and severely tarnished if the official autopsy report is released at this time, when the coverage of this event by the press is at a frenzy." She and their newborn son, Andy Axel Irons, are financially dependent on Irons' company.
                        Hmmm. Lyndie Irons trying to delay and maybe block the release of the autopsy for the sake of protecting her late husband's image indicates that some kind of recreational drug use was the cause of death, not dengue fever or a toxic mixing of prescription medication as speculated earlier.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I've heard the word, and if so it takes everything off the table that we thot we knew. But really, it does'nt/shouldn't tarnish his rep or accomplishments. His system was already greatly compromised and nearly anything could have contributed similarly to his end that night. No doubt she doesn't want a mountain made from a molehill.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

http://www.khon2.com/content/news/de...crlmtYQJw.cspx
                            The Tarrant County autopsy report listed prescription drugs, cocaine and methamphetamine.
                            Disturbing and sad news, another life cut short with illegal drugs involved.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              http://www.khon2.com/content/news/de...crlmtYQJw.cspx

Disturbing and sad news, another life cut short with illegal drugs involved.
                              Not surprising, if you know what surfers on Kauai are like.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X