Thread: Droid Software

Default Droid Software

I'm probably going to pick up a T-moble android phone next week.. Anyone out there using an Android phone to geocache? What software are you using?

Default Re: Droid Software

Quote Originally Posted by Wai`anaeCrider View Post
    I'm probably going to pick up a T-moble android phone next week.. Anyone out there using an Android phone to geocache? What software are you using?
    Don't tell me you all have i-Phones

I use a Droid phone and there is a Geocaching.com app for it. Check out the Droid Market and this link.
    I live with fear and danger every day, but sometimes I leave her to go GEOCACHING

Quote Originally Posted by Etoa Nrish View Post
    I use a Droid phone and there is a Geocaching.com app for it. Check out the Droid Market and this link.
    Thanks. As soon as I get the phone next Sat from T-moble I give it a try.

How do you like it so far? Did you try any of the 3rd party stuff?

Well, the Droid app is still under development and is way behind the iPhone app but they are working on it and it is improving. More to the point are the hardware limitations. I don't know what flavor of Droid you have but running the GPS puts a big hit on the battery. You are probably not going to be able to use it for a day of caching without recharging.
    I live with fear and danger every day, but sometimes I leave her to go GEOCACHING

Quote Originally Posted by Etoa Nrish View Post
    running the GPS puts a big hit on the battery.
    I agree. The first generation droids were real battery hogs. Not to sure about the newer models. Generally I turn the gps feature on online to run the geocaching app. Otherwise I am charging a dead phone by 2 in the afternoon. Other than that the app gets the job done. I usually use it in the quick run out of the house for the FTF only.

Thanks guys. It's going to be the My Touch 4G from T-Mobile. Hope it has an updated battery. Time will tell.

I am no help. But jealous, i not 2 smot wit dis kine stuff. Still trapped in a plan dat has me locked to WM. Been using GCz by NICQUE. Good stuff. ONI feature I like see added, is the da no show micros button. I am DaGeek and I approve dis message.
    Laterz,

DaGeek

Never had a "smart phone" so I don't know if i'm any better than you :-)

With luck I will be by Monday

Got the phone and it's smarter than me. Slowly getting the hang. Downloaded the Geocaching app and it works pretty well.

Anyone know if there is a app w/O`ahu mountain areas? Mine just shows a big blank spot when you get off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai`anaeCrider View Post
    Got the phone and it's smarter than me. Slowly getting the hang. Downloaded the Geocaching app and it works pretty well.

Anyone know if there is a app w/O`ahu mountain areas? Mine just shows a big blank spot when you get off the highway.
    Like a topo map? I believe there is an app called Backcountry Navigator. I have not tried it so I am not sure if Hawaii topos are included.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalohepirate View Post
    Like a topo map? I believe there is an app called Backcountry Navigator. I have not tried it so I am not sure if Hawaii topos are included.

I saw that one listed, but didn't download it yet.