Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian language, foreign language?

Aloha,
    my first question heads toward Hawaiian language. I heard that there aren't many residents who speak Hawaiian in Hawaii. Is this language taught in public schools or does it depend on each Hawaiian whether he learns it?

Re: Hawaiian language, foreign language?

a foriegn language to whom? I speak Hawaiian everyday - each time I say a street name or a location or sometimes even in describing my food. Do I actually have the skill to carry on a conversation in `olelo Hawaii? No, but I'm surrounded by the language every day. I know many who DO use the language everyday - some even use it on their FaceBook postings! I go to some meetings and the agenda is written in Hawaiian. I hear it on the street, on the bus - its not that unusual.

and, according to the state constitution, English AND Hawaiian are the official languages of the state. There are immersion schools that speak nothing but Hawaiian in the classrooms and encourage its use at home too.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      a foriegn language to whom? I speak Hawaiian everyday - each time I say a street name or a location or sometimes even in describing my food. Do I actually have the skill to carry on a conversation in `olelo Hawaii? No, but I'm surrounded by the language every day. I know many who DO use the language everyday - some even use it on their FaceBook postings! I go to some meetings and the agenda is written in Hawaiian. I hear it on the street, on the bus - its not that unusual.

and, according to the state constitution, English AND Hawaiian are the official languages of the state. There are immersion schools that speak nothing but Hawaiian in the classrooms and encourage its use at home too.

I fully understand. Actually, I'm glad for it. I only read about it somewhere. There was written that about 2 000 people can speak the language only as the full-valued one.

Comment

I have been studying Hawaiian for several years now, there are several places to look on the internet. Here is a link for the language center at University of Hawai'i, Hilo, you can buy Na Kai Ewalu textbooks (Kamana- & Wilson), also E Kama'ilio Hawai'i Kakou (Kahananui & Anthony).

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/khuok/hk.php

The link is a good start.

In the 19th century the territorial government tried to extinguish the language. For a while the number of speakers was quite low but because of the efforts of dedicated people, the language is now making a strong comeback. I have heard it used in ordinary conversation, I can stumble through a conversation but would love to be fluent in it. Its wonderful schools are teaching children the language, it is a beautiful language, children deserve to have it as part of their heritage.

Comment

It is also the case that the state constitution decrees that there are two official languages in the 50th state - English and Hawaiian.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
            I have been studying Hawaiian for several years now, there are several places to look on the internet. Here is a link for the language center at University of Hawai'i, Hilo, you can buy Na Kai Ewalu textbooks (Kamana- & Wilson), also E Kama'ilio Hawai'i Kakou (Kahananui & Anthony).

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/khuok/hk.php

The link is a good start.

In the 19th century the territorial government tried to extinguish the language. For a while the number of speakers was quite low but because of the efforts of dedicated people, the language is now making a strong comeback. I have heard it used in ordinary conversation, I can stumble through a conversation but would love to be fluent in it. Its wonderful schools are teaching children the language, it is a beautiful language, children deserve to have it as part of their heritage.
            I'm glad to hear Hawaiian is becoming more popular. I would like to learn more about this language. Are there any next good links with basics of Hawaiian?

Comment

Try http://ksdl.ksbe.edu/kulaiwi/

Comment

Tomas - you can get the books and try to learn the language. But, just like with any other language, you really must be able to HEAR it spoken to really understand it. Just pronouncing a letter wrong or putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable can change the mean of a word. Good luck to you!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Here's a Barnes & Noble link to Instant Immersion Hawaiian on CDs - put together by Kiele Akana-Gooch. Great stuff:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ins.../9781591507604

Comment

Thanks for the links.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      Tomas - you can get the books and try to learn the language. But, just like with any other language, you really must be able to HEAR it spoken to really understand it. Just pronouncing a letter wrong or putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable can change the mean of a word. Good luck to you!
                      I found some vids in Hawaiian with hawaiian transcriptions. So hopefully, it'll be enough for a start.

Comment

Working...
                      X