Should there be a requirement for National Service in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should there be a requirement for National Service in the US

I think your wording on the question is truly insulting to human intelligence. Just because we don’t REQUIRE national service as if it were punishment of some sort, doesn’t mean we don’t NEED it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Three YES'S!!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I think your wording on the question is truly insulting to human intelligence.
        It wasn't my wording, it was HuffPost's. But it is your perfect right to be insulted. Some people like going through life being insulted. Insults says more about the person being insulted than the person who is viewed as being insulting.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country

If not the military or the peace corps, there's community service such as the Lions, Rotary, Elks, Jaycee's...

There are organizations such as volunteering for the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, Red Cross, etc.

There are environmental causes such as Life of the Land, the Outdoor Circle, heck even Greenpeace!

I do believe it's a great start to require all graduating high schoolers to provide a nominal amount of time of community service as a requirement for graduation.

I believe everyone should serve in a soup line for the homeless, and required to work minimum wage in a retail store. You will see firsthand the humbleness as well as the arrogance of the poor and the demanding of either.

I believe we all need to do something for our fellow man, and not wait for handouts.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think if our school had better matched skills or interests with the required service hours, it would have been a much better experience. But the administration didn't care, as long as they got done, so that attitude was shared by the students. I have volunteered since then on my own, and it has been much more rewarding.

I think you're right, Craig. Everyone should have those experiences. I was just thinking forcing it on kids who obviously don't care usually results in them not getting out of it what they should.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
            X