Is it ever okay to use offensive slurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ever okay to use offensive slurs

Continuing our Friday converstions, inspired by Huffington Post, "is it ever okay to use offensive slurs, especiallly on the Internet?" This question results from the offensive messages that Bristol and Willow Palin posted this last week on Facebook when someone was critical of their mother's new "show."

Let me say, right off the bat, that matapule has been guilty of this a time or two. But matapule knows it is wrong and he has a guilty conscience afterward. Even if someone were to say something mean about uaifi or matapule's daughters, he knows that it is wrong to stoop to the lowest common denominator and respond in like kine.There is always room for improvement in matapules.

The results of last weeks conversation are 7 in favor of a National Service requirement and 4 opposed. Interesting comments all the way around.
    No, it is never justifed.
    66.67%
    Yes, it is sometimes justified.
    33.33%
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Friday conversation: Is it ever okay to use offensive? slurs

Words are words, and can have many meanings which can vary depending upon the background of the people using them.

But if you MEAN the words to be "offensive slurs," then you really ought to be thinking very hard about why you are using those terms.

Frankly, I've been surprised at a political movement that calls their members "tea-baggers," considering the sexual slang connotation. Can you imagine a political movement, dedicated to the rights of cigarette smokers, that would ever call themselves "The Faggot Party"?

Comment

Re: Is it ever okay to use offensive slurs

It is no more OK to use offensive language/slurs on the internet than it is to use use it in "real life". I consider anything I post to be the same as if I were to say it in public. I try to use the same rules of etiquette in person and on line.

Comment

One person's 'offensive slur' is another's badge of self-esteem. Beauty and ugliness is all in the mind of the beholder.

Faggot Party? Why not 'Fag Suckers'? That conveys a much clearer image and is my favorite form of address for those of that inclination.
        Last edited by salmoned; November 29, 2010, 09:39 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

hahaha - you actually edited your post to be more or less offensive than it is right now?
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Darn, duplicate post.
            Last edited by salmoned; November 30, 2010, 08:19 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

My post is not offensive in the least. Funny, yes; offensive, no. I enjoy editing my posts so as to appear to say something that, in the end, I didn't. I call it self-restraint. If you catch me by quoting an early version - I'm stuck with it.

Comment

No, it was not funny. Yes, it was offensive. But, then you in general are usually offensive so I guess its no big deal and no less than I would expect of you. So.....................Carry on! I always enjoy your posts.
                Last edited by anapuni808; November 30, 2010, 03:20 PM. Reason: edited to make an additional comment that I mean very sincerely :)
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think the use of the traditional derogatory terms has lessened, and usually the ones that say it are the ones who were raised in that era where it was considered... "acceptable" for its comparative time. Seeing younger kids rattle off slurs is really a lack of respect and/or poor parenting.

But with the amalgamation of words and phrases nowadays, anyone can be offended at anything someone says, even if the words aren't traditionally or typically derogatory. So you're either in that wimpy category where every word hurts you, or you toughen up and move on with life because you know it's a waste of time and energy.

Comment

Can a kid say bullshit when told of the "sticks and stones" saying?

Comment

anapuni808, if it wasn't funny why were you laughing and to whom was it offensive? To 'smokers'? There's a moniker I just don't get. Smokers don't smoke, their fags smoke [when lit]. So, smoking fag suckers is the most accurate moniker possible, or, in short, fag suckers. How could that be offensive, unless sucking fags, in and of itself, is offensive? In any case, there is no offensive slur intended or present in any of my comments here, even if you find the terms present offensive.

Comment

oh please - give me a break (and all the rest of us) you can attack me if you like but I really don't care.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                        X