Kumu la'au, tree
    Mea kanu, a plant
    Pama, palm
    Niu, coconut palm

Ulu maika'i o na- mea kanu i ka- Keoni ma-la
    Grow well the plants in Keoni's garden

Ulu nui na niu i ka paka
    Grow many coconut palms in the park

I think this is all correct, I try. Interesting at all?

Comment

Re: A Hawaiian Language Thread?

Kekahi mau mea maloko o ka hale
      Some things inside the house

Papahele, floor
      Kaupoku, ceiling or roof
      Hikie'e, couch
      Moe, Kahi Moe, bed
      Noho, chair
      Lumi Kuke, kitchen
      Lumi Ho'okipa, living room
      Lumi Moe, bedroom
      Pahu Hau, refrigerator
      Lua, Lumi Ho'opau Pilikia, bathroom
      Moena, carpet
      Kapa, blanket
      Uluna, pillow

Hiamoe o Luka i ka noho, Luka sleeps in the chair
      Ke hamohamo nei na keiki i ka popoki i ka lumi ho'okipa,
      the children are petting the cat in the living room
      He mau pia anuanu maloko o ka pahu hau
      Some cold beers are inside the refrigerator
      E ho'oponopono ana au i ke kaupoku i ka la apopo.
      I will fix the roof tomorrow

Comment

What are the grammar rules in Hawaiian? Is the sentence structure similar to English? Female or male nouns, or is it a non gender language? I've always wondered about these things, and would be very interested to learn more, if someone doesn't mind answering. The Hawaiian dictionaries online are rather confusing.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Usually the verb comes at the start of the phrase,
          hele au i ke kuai hale
          go I to the store

Its gender neutral, kane applies to male anything and wahine to female anything, so...
          popoki kane, tomcat
          kohola- wahine, female whale

Ua is past tense
          ke (verb) nei is present tense
          e (verb) ana is future tense

you have particles that name subjects or show direction
          o shows a subject, ua hele O Kale i kahakai, Kale went to the beach
          and i = to in that case.

One of the handiest dictionaries is the Illustrated Hawaiian Dictionary by Kahikahealani Wight, it not only defines words, it uses them in sentences and expressions so you get a better understanding of the structure. Luana au i ke ao mai o ka olelo Hawai'i. (Enjoy I the learning of the Hawaiian language)

Comment

He pouli ka mahina i ke-ia po.
            An eclipse of the moon tonight.

No "to be" verb, its amazing how well you can get along without it.

E nana oe i ka pouli ka mahina i ke-ia po?
            Will you watch the eclipse of the moon tonight?

Comment

Ua nana ma-kou i ka pa'ani popeku o Hawai'i ame Tulsa i ke kiwi, ua manaka- nui ia. Ua lanakila o Tulsa. Kaumaha, ua pa'ani maika'i'ole ka- Hawai'i kimi--ke kua hapaha Hawai'i. Ua hiamoe au i ka hapaha eha. Aka-, ua maika'i ke ike i Hawai'i hou.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                About 1/3 of the words have the same meaning in Tongan.
                From what I have been led to understand all the Polynesian languages are related much in the same way as Spanish, French and Italian (the so-called 'romance languages') are.

Linguistic drift happens relatively quickly, to a separation of a mere 100 years will produce different words for the same thing and differences in dialect and pronunciation.

A simple example: Tahiti is known in Hawai`i as Kahiki. The more and longer the separation, either through distance or politics, the more differences there will be.

I have great difficulty with languages other than my own - being one of those who have a hard time reconfiguring my thoughts to fit different grammars. So I'll just watch.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

Comment

Fakafiefie ihe ta'u fo'o
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Ku'e kanawai o ka 'o-lelo ana i ke kelepona lawe lima oiai kalaiwa ana. He kanawai maika'i, pono maliu i ke kalaiwa ana o na mea kanaiwa.
                      Last edited by Kalalau; January 1, 2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                        Ku'e kanawai o ka 'o-lelo ana i ke kelepona lawe lima oiai kalaiwa ana. He kanawai maika'i, pono maliu i ke kalaiwa ana o na mea kanaiwa.
                        Lopeti, kouia, ihe pongipongia okuma lea 'he kelepona. Okuou pehe teou fe'iloaki moe te ihe monite.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                          Yes, I would be.

I'll start with this. In Captain Cook's journal, he mentioned Kamehameha. But the words he used was something like Tama'a ma'a.

Which makes me wonder, which one is more correct?

We like to say Kamehameha is correct, but we can list other examples of how Missionaries or people during the plantation days chop up and translate the words pretty bad. Like last names Ah-Soon, Ah Sing, Ah Mok Sang. Maybe not good examples, but anyhow.

The word Ka and Ta sounds different. Most part of Polynesia uses the words T instead of K. So could some of the Hawaii words be "wrong?"

Any comments to add?
                          Captain Cook and his recorders were not fluent in Hawaiian. Moreover, at the time, there was no written language, so the alphabet inventories would differ from recorder to recorder. What you would have, then, were recorders who were unfamiliar with the language improvising their own systems. Voices of Eden by Dr. Schutz is an excellent resource if you are interested in learning about the development of the Hawaiian writing system.

Kamehameha is most likely correct. Captain Cook may have written the name as Tama maa, or something of that nature, but he also wrote the name of Hawaiʻi as Owyhee, and Kauaʻi as Atooi. Meaning, his recordings of Hawaiian names were not accurate. However, several of Kamehameha's successors who were supremely fluent in the language maintained that name. If we were to decide which is more correct, we would be better served by abiding by a more venerable selection.

All Polynesian languages have undergone sound changes. I will list below some general changes from Proto-Polynesian to Hawaiian.

F - H
                          H - Ø
                          K - ʻ
                          L - L
                          M- M
                          N - N
                          Ng - N
                          P - P
                          R - L
                          S - H
                          T - K
                          W - W
                          ʻ - Ø

Because sound changes are natural, this means that Hawaiian names and words are not incorrect, but rather the natural product of sound changes that occur in languages.
                          I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                            Would anybody be interested in trying a thread in the Hawaiian language? Or about the Hawaiian language? It could be anything at all, from asking questions about the language to writing on any topic in it. E oluolu, kou mana'o, which I hope means please, your opinion.
                            Aloha mai kaua, e Kalalau.

Mahalo ia oe no ka hoomaka ana i keia kukai kamailio ana ma ka olelo makuahine. Aohe paha e nui na mea e komo pu ana i ke kukai olelo. He mau kanaka olelo Hawaii helu wale ko keia kahua paa punaewele. He mau makahiki aku nei, ua wehe au i kahi lopi no ke kalailai ana i ka pilinaolelo o kauwahi mapuna olelo mai na moolelo a kaao paha o ka wa ma mua, aka, he elua wale no maua i kukakuka e pili ana i ia mea, oia hoi o maua o Puai Manao. O ka nui o na mea i waiho i ko lakou mau manao ma ia lopi, he poe olelo haole wale no e hoike ana i ko lakou kakoo i ka lawelawe ia ana o ke kukakuka e pili ana i ka olelo Hawaii, ma ka olelo Hawaii io no.

Pehea ka loihi o kau hoopaahaawina ana i ka olelo Hawaii? Kakaikahi ka ike ana i na haumana e kakau nei me ka okina a me ke kahako ole. He eono oʻu mau makahiki i ao ai i ka olelo. O ka heluhelu ana i na moolelo Hawaii like ole koʻu hana punahele, a me ke kamailio pu ana me na manaleo.
                            I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

Mahalo no kau kakau hoihoi. No'eau nui kau 'o-lelo! Manaolana au maopopo ia kau kakau. Ua ho'opaa ha'awina au i na- ekolu puke "Na Kai Ewalu" a me "E Kamailio Hawai'i Kakou" mai ke ku-ai hale puke o ke Kulanui Hawai'i i Hilo. I "Facebook" he mau hoaloha a me hui i ka 'o-lelo. I Kea'au noho ka'u hoaloha o "Facebook", he kumu 'o-lelo Hawai'i oia. E kala mai ko'u kakau, 'a'ole a'u no'eau, aka- kulia au.

Comment

I nehinei ua hele maua i ke kia ho'omana'o la-hui i ka lae. Ua auinala nani, ua ike maua i ka hale ipu kukui, a ike i ho'okahi mokulu'u nukelea ha'alele o ke awa! I ka'u makahiki apau, 'a'ole i ike i ka ho'okele ana o ho'okahi mokulu'u nukelea, ikaika nui la-kou! Ua kakau au i ka'u blog 'Kaonamakekai' me kekahi mau ki'i o ka- maua la- ma laila.

Comment

Working...
                                X