Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 53rd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music Nominees

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Whatever you might think of Tia, she's a local girl who found success in the showbiz mainstream and now finds success almost as far away from the mainstream as you can be. It's one thing to disagree about whether or not Tia's album is worthy; it's another entirely to shun her and the people who voted for her.

Everyone loves Israel Kamakawiwoole's "Over the Rainbow" and takes great pleasure in seeing its mainstream success all over the world. That's less Hawaiian than Tia's album.
    You're right, Scriv. The reason why some locals are upset with Tia and Daniel winning Grammys has nothing to do with the music itself.

And emphasis should be placed on the word "some." I believe that if a poll was taken, you would find that most people in this state are okay with Tia winning. Those who are disgruntled may be a very vocal bunch, but they don't speak for everyone.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Amy Hanaiali`i tweeted "I feel sad, sitting here with two GREAT Hawaiian musicians, Uncle Dennis and Uncle Cyril and they r contemplating a request to dissolve the Hawaiian music category".
      But she finished the comment with: "I say we just HOLOMUA!"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        You're right, Scriv. The reason why some locals are upset with Tia and Daniel winning Grammys has nothing to do with the music itself.
        Very, very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          But she finished the comment with: "I say we just HOLOMUA!"
          Thx for keeping the quote in context, LL. I'm not a tweeter/twit/whatever so would not have known there was more to the quote.

From Amy, on Facebook...and in it's entirety:
          I wanted to take time to reflect on everyone’s aloha to us, we have to remember that we honor Hawai'i through music and that is our first joy. MAHALO to Adrian Kamali'i and his team at Pae ‘Āina Communications for all that they do to keep me connected with you all! Thanks to Honolulu Pulse for allowing us to share this experience with you! ALOHA NUI!

Comment

So Amy added a sit-on-the-fence comment. If that's how she really feels, why did she herself quote Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui as planning to request the Grammy's drop the Hawaiian music category?
            The fact that Amy is on the fence is manini. The part about Dennis and Cyril is HUGE and is the part that everyone is going to be talking about.
            That's why I only quoted that part. Her last sentence is next to meaningless and has nothing to do with context.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Amy has been very public (repeatedly) on social media with her congratulations to Tia and Daniel, as has Chino Montero (who was also on the album with Amy).

Uncle Dennis, on the other hand, told me "this is war." I understand his anger and disappointment - yet that comment took me by surprise. It will be interesting to see what steps he and Uncle Cyril choose to take, and how effective they can be, considering what tremendous respect they have in the Hawaiian music world.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what steps he (Uncle Dennis) and Uncle Cyril choose to take, and how effective they can be, considering what tremendous respect they have in the Hawaiian music world.
                Indeed, and that was exactly the point of my earlier posts.
                So many people spent so many years trying to get a Hawaiian category into the Grammys, and after just a few years many now want it removed. It'll indeed be interesting to see what happens.
                But most of what happens will be of low visibility to the general public. In the field of Hawaiian music the 'aloha image' is one thing, with the musicians and related folks putting on a happy face for the public and often pretending that everything is lovely and fine, but among each other their opinions often change 180 degrees.
                Today's Star-Advertiser had the latest issue featured on the front cover with the headline "Grammy fractures Hawaiian music circles" and John Berger's story is at this link.
                He also points out Amy's followup comment about "holomua," to improve and progress. But it's entirely possible that Amy might mean that eliminating the Hawaiian category would be improvement and progression and that she agrees with Dennis and Cyril. Hmmmm...

Comment

"this is war', "we've been robbed!" my oh my, just think what they'd be saying if steel guitar took it every year, like it should!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

After reading John Berger's article I feel that Leah Bernstein, president of The Mountain Apple Co. says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                      After reading John Berger's article I feel that Leah Bernstein, president of The Mountain Apple Co. says it all.
                      I'm in agreement there. There is a contingent of people in the Islands who are qualified to join NARAS, but have not done so - these are experienced, knowledgeable & talented folks who could make a difference in influencing the direction of this particular award. Why they do not do so mystifies me.

Comment

There is a contingent of people in the Islands who are qualified to join NARAS, but have not done so - these are experienced, knowledgeable & talented folks who could make a difference in influencing the direction of this particular award. Why they do not do so mystifies me.
                        This exact thing has been a mystery here for years and years, ever since the first attempts to get a Grammy category even started.
                        It's always been a very low turnout of qualified people interested in participating.
                        But even if we doubled or even tripled the current number of people, it wouldn't be enough to sway the votes. Ergo, most people figure "why bother?".

Comment

Ergo, most people figure "why bother?".
                          Something about "lighting a candle" rather than "cursing the darkness," perhaps?

A tripling of NARAS members from Hawai`i would most assuredly become an influential block of voices.

Comment

But most of what happens will be of low visibility to the general public. In the field of Hawaiian music the 'aloha image' is one thing, with the musicians and related folks putting on a happy face for the public and often pretending that everything is lovely and fine, but among each other their opinions often change 180 degrees.
                            Well, the curtain is being pulled back. Check out today's issue of MIDWEEK. Page six has an article written by winners Tia Carrere, Daniel Ho and Amy Stillman, defending themselves pretty strongly against all the negative reactions.
                            Then on page 25 is a counterpoint article by Cyril Pahinui that will shock you with how strongly he attacks Tia, Daniel and Amy.
                            This is some truly shocking stuff, folks.

Comment

This is not good. If Cyril thinks the other nominees were that much better than the winning entry, he's certainly entitled to that opinion and I don't begrudge his expressing it. But this stuff goes beyond the music itself and now I only want to root against him.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'll repeat here what I posted in another forum:

Moving forward, will more qualified individuals join The Recording Academy and get involved in the process, as some of us have already done for many, many years? If they can but do not, then they have no room to express complaints about how an industry operates their own celebration of their peers.

(For those not already aware, I am a voting member of both NARAS - the Grammy folks - and HARA - the Nā Hōkū Hanohano folks, and have been for many years; as a member of the Pacific Northwest branch of NARAS, I've long been an advocate for adding the "Best Hawaiian Music" Award to the Grammys. Yes - that means I have a bias.)

Comment

Working...
                                X