53rd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music Nominees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53rd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music Nominees

Best Hawaiian Music Album - Vocal or Instrumental.

1. HUANA KE ALOHA
    Tia Carrere
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

2. AMY HANAIALI'I AND SLACK KEY MASTERS OF HAWAII
    Amy Hanaiali‘i And Slack Key Masters Of Hawaii
    [Peterson Productions]

3. POLANI
    Daniel Ho
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

4. THE LEGEND
    Ledward Kaapana
    [Rhythm & Roots Records]

5. MAUI ON MY MIND - HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR
    Jeff Peterson
    [Peterson Productions]

Re: 53rd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music Nominees

That's a lot of ki hoalu.

I haven't heard any of them, 'though I've been eying that Amy CD since it came out. How many have you heard?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      How many have you heard?
      I have all five, but haven't given them all as deep a listen as I will need to now, before I vote.

Tia's is another lullaby-oriented disc, Daniel's is his solo `ukulele work. The Amy disc, while featuring her with different artists, also puts the spotlight on other folks (including, finally, some singing from Chino Montero - we've been pushing him to do his own album for years). This collection was put together by Jeff Peterson - which might draw attention away from his own album, a great collection of mostly originals. And Led is Led - what can you say? His work is always a prime representation of ki ho`alu.

I'll be profiling all of them on my radio shows this weekend.

Comment

The laser-guided focus Grammy voters have on slack key has been discussed extensively here... so I'm actually pleasantly amused to see Amy Hanaiali'i basically going with the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          The laser-guided focus Grammy voters have on slack key has been discussed extensively here... so I'm actually pleasantly amused to see Amy Hanaiali'i basically going with the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" strategy.
          You can thank Jeff Peterson for that, it was his "concept."

(Remember, though - there was one year slack key didn't win; Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho did.)

Interesting note as well - this is the first year since they started issuing annual collections from the weekly slack key concerts on Maui that the compilation from those shows did not get a nomination.

Comment

Very well-written article on the topic coming out in this Sunday's NY Times:
            http://moourl.com/zzn7s

Comment

That is well done. Guy knows his stuff and I think he hit on the complexity of the issues without getting too esoteric or seeming to take sides. I was expecting to have to put my dukes up once again in defense of ki hoalu, but I think he represented my position fairly well, although I'd have gone further than to call Led Kaapana, Sonny Chillingworth, and Gabby Pahinui mere "virtuosos." Whatever one might say about the music they play(ed), nobody really discounts them as not being Hawaiian enough. I might have leaned a little harder on that point. But then I have a ki hoalu bias.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

As someone who's expressed dismay at the ki ho'alu tunnel vision, I, too, thought the piece was well-written. So yes, kudos to Nate Chinen for balance and comprehension. At the very least, it's national exposure for a debate that must otherwise seem pretty esoteric, if not silly.

A pity the introduction of a hyperlink introduced a typo: "Their campaigning for a stand-alone category finally paid of in 2005."

But I liked this:
                In a twist, neither of [Daniel Ho's] nominated albums this year feature slack-key guitar. That may tilt the scales toward the other nominees... [like] Ms. Hanaiali‘i, with her fifth nomination, "Amy Hanaiali‘i and Slack Key Masters of Hawaii" (Peterson Productions). “That was a definite strategic play,” Ms. Hanaiali‘i readily admitted of her album’s concept and title.
                Last edited by pzarquon; February 4, 2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

That is well done. Guy knows his stuff ...
                  Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  ... yes, kudos to Nate Chinen for balance and comprehension...
                  I must admit, I have always wondered if the writer has Island ties; the only Chinens I know have all been from Hawai`i (good Uchinanchu name...) So I looked up his bio:
                  I was born and raised in Hawaii, a place where tradition and commerce coexist fruitfully, if not always agreeably. My parents were entertainers; much of my childhood was spent at the musicians union and in nightclubs. For some years I had designs on following in their footsteps, though writing also captivated me early on. Live music was a tangible thing for me long before recordings.

Comment

So could his parents be Teddy and Nanci Tanaka? I believe Teddy Tanaka's real name is Teddy Chinen.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                      So could his parents be Teddy and Nanci Tanaka? I believe Teddy Tanaka's real name is Teddy Chinen.
                      A friend on another board did some research and found that your guess was correct: http://www.iolanibulletin.org/issues...ures/tam_young

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Best Hawaiian Music Album - Vocal or Instrumental.

1. HUANA KE ALOHA, Tia Carrere, [Daniel Ho Creations]

2. AMY HANAIALI'I AND SLACK KEY MASTERS OF HAWAII, Amy Hanaiali‘i And Slack Key Masters Of Hawaii, [Peterson Productions]

3. POLANI, Daniel Ho, [Daniel Ho Creations]

4. THE LEGEND, Ledward Kaapana, [Rhythm & Roots Records]

5. MAUI ON MY MIND - HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR, Jeff Peterson, Peterson Productions]
                        And the winner is TIA CARRERE.
                        It seemed like most people were pulling for Amy Hanaiali`i, partly to get away from the slack key domination over the past years, but even Amy had "slack key" in her album title, which many felt was her attempt to sway voters.
                        Tia's win is guaranteed to be controversial. And this is her second Hawaiian Grammy.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; February 13, 2011, 03:22 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You know, I haven't decided if all the "controversy" is good or bad for local music. I appreciate the discussion and the attention it might bring to otherwise overlooked nominees, but when it turns into whatever the heck happened to Eric Gilliom, when the local music community uses it as a way to take shots at itself, it sucks.

Whatever you might think of Tia, she's a local girl who found success in the showbiz mainstream and now finds success almost as far away from the mainstream as you can be. It's one thing to disagree about whether or not Tia's album is worthy; it's another entirely to shun her and the people who voted for her.

Everyone loves Israel Kamakawiwoole's "Over the Rainbow" and takes great pleasure in seeing its mainstream success all over the world. That's less Hawaiian than Tia's album.

I congratulate her.

(Lika, this wasn't aimed at you; I realize that following your post it's going to sound like it is.)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

(Lika, this wasn't aimed at you; I realize that following your post it's going to sound like it is.)
                            No problem, Scriv. I realized right off that you weren't aiming at me. After all, I haven't taken any sides in the Grammy wars, I only posted the results, so no reason anyone would aim at me.

Comment

The heat is already flaming up.

Amy Hanaiali`i tweeted "I feel sad, sitting here with two GREAT Hawaiian musicians, Uncle Dennis and Uncle Cyril and they r contemplating a request to dissolve the Hawaiian music category".

And Dennis Kamakahi tweeted "We've been robbed!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X