Hawaiian Tel DSL Speed problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Tel DSL Speed problem?

the modem sits off to the side, connected to A/C and a phone line jack. the connections to my laptop, dvd player & kindle are wireless. i will soon be adding a wireless HP printer also.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

This is kind of interesting. Got a two-months free offer from Roadrunner so we switched. I just ran a test:

Huh.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Thanks for the update. Alas I have a personal bias against Oceanic, so wouldn't switch, even if I could.

Random story: The reason I dislike RoadRunner is because I had such awful service from them, even in Mililani, almost their backyard. I switched to Hawaiian Tel DSL and never looked back. But my wife missed digital cable, and in a moment of weakness, called to ask about it. Turns out that digital cable and RoadRunner are both no longer available for our townhome complex... even though we had it before. I guess they'd rather not deliver any service than poor service? That's the charitable explanation, at least.

In any case, here's a SpeedTest.net result over Hawaiian Tel DSL (over 802.11n wireless), I think their middle (3MBps) service level:

3.45Mbps Down/0.67Mbps Up

I'm about to upgrade to either 7MBps or 11Mbps, though, since our house is now consuming streaming video by the truckload, and I do upload a fair amount of video (which takes forever at 0.6Mbps). Alas, the upstream on even their top home plan is "up to 1Mbps" -- why aren't there any high-upstream service plans for content creators?

Anyway, I'll be sure to run and post another test when I upgrade.

P.S. Just got back from Seoul, Korea. Home fiber downloads are 100Mbps, uploads are 60Mbps. Screaming fast! Even their $15/mo. Mi-Fi type mobile hotspot gives you 6Mbps up/3Mbps down. Drool...

Comment

P.S. Just got back from Seoul, Korea. Home fiber downloads are 100Mbps, uploads are 60Mbps. Screaming fast! Even their $15/mo. Mi-Fi type mobile hotspot gives you 6Mbps up/3Mbps down. Drool...
          Jeepers! So that's what the Prez meant when he mentioned it in the SOTU address last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
            Jeepers! So that's what the Prez meant when he mentioned it in the SOTU address last night.
            yet another indication how 'Third World' we are....:

Comment

Try living out here in the boonies on the Big Island. For me broadband is a whopping 500Kbs per second on a good night, 28kbs on a typical night. Really sucks sometimes...no all the time
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Upgraded to the 7Mbps plan and got a new Motorola modem with built-in Wi-Fi (was using an old Westell brick modem for years).

Over 6Mbps, albeit to a local server. No improvement at all uploading, which I guess was expected.

Generally happy, but Hawaiian Telcom's "Just go to hawaiiantel.com/hsiconnect to finish up!" instructions was incredibly maddening false advertising. Terms of service popup, "master account login" prompt, and... I simply got stuck. And I thought I knew my "master account login" and am pretty savvy. Asking an average user to go through this gauntlet is madness.

The irony is, if they'd just sent the basic configuration instructions for the modem, I'd be able to login locally and change my configuration as needed like any good geek. If you're going to inject an "idiot proof" step between a user and a system, better make sure that "idiot proof" step isn't worse than the straight-up system.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Try living out here in the boonies on the Big Island. For me broadband is a whopping 500Kbs per second on a good night, 28kbs on a typical night. Really sucks sometimes...no all the time
                  Satellite DSL available?

Comment

My DSL speeds had fallen off some time back. I checked the wiring, even replaced my interior wiring. Still bad. Turned out my modem was failing (a white "Wirespeed"). New DSL modem (Black with built-in WiFi) and I was screaming away.

Then a few months ago, HawTel upgraded my service. I'm getting 7Mbit service for the price of 3. Just wish my upload speed would increase. I'll need it when I finally sign up for a on-line backup service.

Comment

We switched to Roadrunner a month or two ago (2 months free!) and decided to keep it, so I called HawTel to cancel my DSL service. They checked and told me my DSL modem was so old they didn't want it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                        Satellite DSL available?
                        Satellite is worse, I'm told. And no DSL, too far from a central office.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X