Nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts!

After seeing those pistachio nut commercials (Get Cracking!), I broke down and bought a package of pistachios and began to “get cracking” myself. And I thought: This is a lot of work to get at those little nuts! But it’s worth it, since I love pistachios.

And this being the holiday season, I also thought how nuts have always been a part of the holiday tradition. (That’s where the nutcrackers come in, right? And the “chestnuts roasting on an open fire.”) At least that’s the way it seems to me. When I was a kid, there would always be a large bowl of mixed nuts around and there would be the passing around of the nutcracker. The passing around of the nutcracker was important. It was a very communal activity, very holiday-ish. But I don’t seem to see that anymore. I think it’s gone from our tradition. At least that’s the way it seems to me.

So what about you? Are nuts a part of your holiday tradition (now or once upon a time)? Or am I the only one who’s nuts about nuts?

Re: Nuts!

It has been a while but I would have to say peanuts would be the type of nuts I would eat.

Comment

I love cashews and of course, candied walnuts or pecans.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Wasabi or garlic flavored almonds.

Comment

When I was a kid walnuts were used for stocking stuffers much like styrofoam peanuts are used to cushion and fill gaps in packages. Santa knew we'd rather have nuts than crumbled paper or worse...broken stocking gifts. There was always a bowl of unshelled mixed nuts with the obligatory nutcracker on the coffee table. All other nuts shared the same family last name!

Comment

All year I've focused on pecans that are packaged as 'pecan pie', sold at Safeway in the nut section (green pax), and are like those on top of... pecan pie. yums
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              And the “chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
              Interestingly enough, chestnuts are indigenous to the Tongan islands and we would roast them in an umu and eat them. They are a different species than what we purchase commercially in the US. The Tongans also used the shells of the chestnuts (called "ifi") for wrist and ankle bracelets while dancing "ta'ulunga." They made kind of a clicking sound.

So what about you? Are nuts a part of your holiday tradition (now or once upon a time)? Or am I the only one who’s nuts about nuts?
              In our family, our tradition is for matapule to make his world famous "sweet, hot candied pecans" every Christmas. That reminds matapule, he better get "cracking!" Ha, ha, jus a lil fakakata
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

This could be good http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Celebrating National Macadamia Nut Day In Hawaii | News | kitv.com

Macadamia nuts dipped in chocolate.

Comment

Working...
                  X