Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai‘i Elects Tea Party Candidate!

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Well in a perfect world, since the bus is considered mass transit, ..............all that’s going to be tied up in the courts for years, beginning tomorrow.
    So that option is not a viable means of funding.

Cutting teachers’ salary wouldn’t make a difference one way or the other since they are funded by the state, not the city. Likewise, none of these bills affect the state deficit, since they’re under the city budget. Try to keep up, matapule.
    Okay let's put it in your context, but actually the City does hire some teachers. Does he propose to cut police and firemen staff or salaries? Does he propose to cut park funding? His "leadership" proposals are going to increase the City deficit without a means of funding.

You failed to answer the question with a viable means of funding, not something theoretical that will be tied up in the courts for years. Do you want to answer the question or just obfuscate?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      You failed to answer the question with a viable means of funding, not something theoretical that will be tied up in the courts for years.
      I take it back, then — it won’t be tied up in courts for years:

Rail foes win big
      The state Supreme Court agrees work on the project should not have begun without a full archaeological survey

By Kevin Dayton
      POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Aug 25, 2012

Opponents of the $5.26 billion Oahu rail project won a clear victory Friday as the Hawaii Supreme Court ruled that a state agency violated its rules by approving the rail project before an archaeological survey was completed for the 20-mile rail route.

In a unanimous ruling, the court found that rules governing the State Historic Preservation Division "do not permit the SHPD to concur in the rail Project" until the city finishes the survey to determine whether there are Native Hawaiian burials or other archaeological resources in the path of the rail line.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

I was stunned watching this on the evening news, a virtual death blow, if it and the impending win for Cayetano doesn't end the madness, then I guess nothing will. Great to see victory being pulled out of the jaws of defeat at the 11th hour. Please, let it be so.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          And out of that miniscule 23% voter participation, Berg got a whopping 18%, while his top two opponents effectively split the Democratic/labor vote. In a couple of years, when the seat is up for grabs again through the city's normal "non-partisan" election process, reality will hit Mr. Berg if he's planning a long-term career on the council.
          This was what I proclaimed nearly two years ago after Berg capitalized in a run-off election to get onto the city council. This was what I speculated, before Berg started making an okole of himself in public. Kym Pine's whopping 25 point victory comes as no surprise here.

Second only to Cayetano, Berg was the most outspoken opponent of rail. The defeat of those two, as well as the rest of the 2012 results, means that only one elected officeholder in Honolulu Hale (Ann Kobayashi) continues to stubbornly cling to an anti-rail position.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Leaving the tea party out of it ...and strictly in my opinion...Berg's biggest FAIL was his temper and lack of communication skills. I have democrat friends on the west side who supported Berg's candidacy. Then, he went on a rant on his FB page Tues. night. He made a total ass of himself to the point that we were questioning if he was drunk. My friends were terribly upset that they supported him. Then, there's APEC. And, council meetings. No matter how great his ideas might be, he's an embarrassment to his constituents. And, to the city. He's better suited for a position with FOX News where his temper and foul mouth would be applauded!

Comment

Good idea:
              Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Leaving the tea party out of it
              ... and then you didn't:
              Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              He's better suited for a position with FOX News

Comment

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-twitter.html

I didn't get her comedy on SNL.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Good idea: ... and then you didn't:
                  Hence...the !!! Maybe I shoulda used ?!

Comment

Well Tom Berg didn't get re-elected which makes some of you happy.
                    He did allow his temper in public and at the City Council meetings to overshadow the truth of misdeeds and mismanagement of Honolulu County by other Council members.
                    I think he was the best thing to happen there in many years! IMO

Someone wrote this to Honolulu Weekly and I agree... also a lot more than is stated here by this person.
                    "Thank you Tom [City Council member Berg] for [exposing] some of the worst, most blatant deceptions of all time (“The Election: What Happened?” Nov. 28).
                    Not only do the people not get heard on GMO labeling, they don’t get heard on the rail project, the spending of $5 million dollars for art at rail stations,
                    and most recently the botched election process where 70 polling places run out of ballots.

Nothing will be done to correct any of these situations, and it is depressing to realize that the elected officials of this state could be that outwardly and boldly corrupt.
                    I blame the people of Hawaii for not speaking up and holding those elected to a higher standard. The status quo is not only alive, it is becoming worse.
                    The problem for you Tom is that you’re the only voice willing to tackle the tough questions.
                    All the others are part of the problem.

“The Future is Bleek” via [HonoluluWeekly.com]"

http://honoluluweekly.com/letters/20...qL-Eo.facebook
                    Last edited by Menehune Man; December 30, 2012, 01:27 PM.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I regret losing a rouge voice for the people, if indeed he was that, but his outbursts set him up for ejection from the rancid pool. Maybe he'll find other avenues to promote his views.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Well Tom Berg didn't get re-elected which makes some of you happy.
                        Some?

Tell that to 60% of the voters in council district 1 who wanted to go in another direction and cast their vote for Kym Pine.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Someone wrote this to Honolulu Weekly and I agree... also a lot more than is stated here by this person.
                        "Thank you Tom [City Council member Berg] for [exposing] some of the worst, most blatant deceptions of all time (“The Election: What Happened?” Nov. 28).
                        Not only do the people not get heard on GMO labeling, they don’t get heard on the rail project,
                        "The people?" Oh, you mean the 47.4% of people who were outvoted by the 52.6% majority who supported the '08 rail referendum.

Or is it "the people" whose anti-rail mayoral candidate (Cayetano) was soundly defeated by the pro-rail candidate (Caldwell), 54 to 46% last November.

You know, people who support a losing candidate or find themselves in the minority on an issue are free to express themselves. But at the same time, they also need to respect the fact that the majority have spoken at the ballot box and not forget how democracy in this country works.

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        I regret losing a rouge voice for the people, if indeed he was that, but his outbursts set him up for ejection from the rancid pool. Maybe he'll find other avenues to promote his views.
                        There's always the neighborhood board to run for. And anyone is free to attend and offer testimony (at the appropriate times) at the council meetings.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          1)Some?
                          Tell that to 60% of the voters in council district 1 who wanted to go in another direction and cast their vote for Kym Pine.

2)"The people?" Oh, you mean the 47.4% of people who were outvoted by the 52.6% majority who supported the '08 rail referendum.
                          3)Or is it "the people" whose anti-rail mayoral candidate (Cayetano) was soundly defeated by the pro-rail candidate (Caldwell), 54 to 46% last November.

4)You know, people who support a losing candidate or find themselves in the minority on an issue are free to express themselves. But at the same time, they also need to respect the fact that the majority have spoken at the ballot box and not forget how democracy in this country works.

5)There's always the neighborhood board to run for. And anyone is free to attend and offer testimony (at the appropriate times) at the council meetings.
                          1) I was speaking to HTers here not District 1 residents.
                          2) Do you believe that 'WE' (all of us) were given the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about RAIL and it's costs to us before the vote? Or even up to this present date?
                          3) There was more than RAIL differences between those two candidates, and we'll see how we fare under a Caldwell administration.
                          4) I do. Too bad "The wool gets pulled over many eyes!" though.
                          5) Thanks for your input. Good ideas and there are many other avenues also. PBS Hawaii for one...
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X