Honolulu sure could use a 24-hour jazz station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu sure could use a 24-hour jazz station

Once in a while, I listen to Jazz with Don Gordon on KIPO 89.3. Mr. Gordon's mix of jazz includes some smooth jazz tracks and adult standards. Last night at 11:28 PM, Mr. Gordon played "It's a Blue World" by the Four Freshmen. I started thinking that it would be grand if KIPO did jazz 24/7. KUVO 89.3 in Denver is a fine example of a 24-hour jazz station. Like KIPO, KUVO does NPR news every hour on the hour. Now that 99.5 the Jewel is defunct, KIPO could satisfy adult standards die-hards by playing jazz full time since traditional jazz includes adult standards. KIPO can also give Hawaii's Smooth Jazz KORL 101.1 FM some competition by going full time on jazz. If Denver can have a full-time jazz station, IMHO so can Honolulu.

Re: Honolulu sure could use a 24-hour jazz station

While the Seattle area has an NPR station (KPLU) that does straight-ahead jazz when not doing news programming (and a couple nights of blues), our local commercial smooth-jazz station (KWJZ) just went dark last week after decades. They blame it on the new Arbitron monitoring methods that dropped them from No. 3 in the market to No. 22.

Lifestyle-formats are being decimated by the new PPM system, but that will probably bode well for internet radio.

Comment

I dunno, IB...I'm a huge jazz fan but I'm not sure if there's a large enough jazz audience for 24/7. The station has to sell ad time to generate revenue to keep it on the air during those off-peak hours. It's gotta be a hard sell, esp. with ipods for the car and internet radio for home. Would love to see it happen, tho'.

Comment

I'm bummed at the Jewel's demise, no more is the "Sounds of Sinatra" from
        9 - 11 am on Saturdays I though it was only due to the all Christmas music
        format but as you all have pointed out it's an entirely different concept now.
        That stinks I so looked forward to Saturday mornings!

Comment

I went to a couple Jazz festivals in Portland and they were amazing, top talent coming in, in addition to talented locals. I think we have a ton of Jazz fans not only on Oahu, but all of the islands. It helps when you have a jazz station coinciding with a big Jazz Festival too. When was the last big jazz event in Honolulu?

Comment

Didn't we have one back in the 80's called KSHO? That was a 24-hour Jazz station if I recall.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I love Hawaii Public Radio and am a volunteer drive-time talk host on KIPO. But if years of listener feedback and ratings data have meant that jazz "settled" into the late-night, weekend time slots it has now, that makes me doubt a commercial 24/7 jazz station would survive here.

I was bummed that their world news show was dropped in favor of another format. But frankly, in the age of Pandora, Rdio, Spotify (coming soon) and other streaming radio on the Internet, "niche" is best left to on-demand technologies, where the selection is huge and "long tail" demographics are perfectly fine. That leaves most terrestrial radio scrambling to hold onto the mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                I went to a couple Jazz festivals in Portland and they were amazing, top talent coming in, in addition to talented locals. I think we have a ton of Jazz fans not only on Oahu, but all of the islands. It helps when you have a jazz station coinciding with a big Jazz Festival too. When was the last big jazz event in Honolulu?
                Jazz festivals, esp. the more traditional Monterey JF, are just so much fun! Audiences are enthusiastic and well behaved, the musicians so approachable and I love all the events associated with them...the musicians sitting in at various venues, workshops, craft fairs, etc. The late Abe Weinstein put on the annual Hawaii International Jazz Festival for many years, bringing in some top names and featuring a night with local musicians. Some research shows that the event has continued but I don't think I've seen any advertising. Click on the web site link at that page! Michael Paulo, in addition to his ongoing smooth jazz concert series, started the Pacific Rim Jazz Festival last Nov. It sold out so hopefully it will become an annual event.
                Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                I love Hawaii Public Radio and am a volunteer drive-time talk host on KIPO. But if years of listener feedback and ratings data have meant that jazz "settled" into the late-night, weekend time slots it has now, that makes me doubt a commercial 24/7 jazz station would survive here.[...]
                WAIT!!! Shoulda done my research before my previous post! It appears KORL 101.1fm is, in fact, 24/7. It's pretty much confined to smooth jazz, tho'. I listen to it in the car so am unaware if the midnight to 6am time slot is any different. No radio at home and poor reception in Makaha.

Comment

I like smooth jazz. It transistions into new age stuff for late night listening.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I always got LA's 94.7 The WAVE playing at home on a computer hooked up to my surround system.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X