Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me ID this Hawaiian song I used to sing as a kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ID this Hawaiian song I used to sing as a kid.

* let me first say excuse me for butchering the language of the song as I'm trying to sound it out in text the best I could.

Once I know the title, I can find the lyrics on-line (I hope). I trying to re-learn how to play the ukulele - after 35 years.

I know the Brother Cazimero also recorded it. I heard them play it once live 15 years ago.

U a ike mau ke aloha
    U..........kane
    mau ke aloha.

Thanks.

If Ukulele experts wants to jump in on this one, please share any tips on playing this song. I want to get (back) to good enough were I can intro my kids to this (first) Hawaiian song.
    Last edited by cabanalane; January 5, 2011, 05:55 AM.

Re: Help me ID this Hawaiian song I used to sing as a kid.

anyone know?

Comment

Hawaii 78?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
        Hawaii 78?
        Not it. That title seems to come up with Israel Kamakawiwo`ole.

There is a chance I could be wrong, meaning it's not from the Brothers Cazimero.

I don't know why but here is the DVD.

http://www.hawaiianmusicstore.com/videos/v02.html I tried to look at the lyrics for the Cazimeros, but it's not it. So now back to square one?
        Last edited by cabanalane; January 24, 2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

What I can get from the lyrics you've posted is Pua Hone, but it doesn't seem to match.

I think your best bet is to find 30 second sales samples of their albums and find the song that way.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            What I can get from the lyrics you've posted is Pua Hone, but it doesn't seem to match.
            I tried the best I could from memory.

Thank You!!!! That's it.

Comment

Wow, GG - I'm impressed that you got "Pua Hone" from that lyric snippet (I know, CL, you tried your best to remember) - that's one in my repertoire, as well. Composed by Dennis Kamakahi as an engagement gift to his fiancee (now wife), and sung to her over the phone while he was up in the Pacific Northwest on tour.

Comment

Such a beautiful song...to me, feels like a breath of cool upcountry air.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this thread. Pua Hone is in my top 5 favorite songs regardless of genre. I knew Dennis wrote it but didn't know the back story. Lucky Robin. Thx, LL.

Comment

This PDF of the ukulele chords has a bit more detail on the story. Since some of my family lived in Tacoma for a few years, I hiked and kayaked around the area where he composed and performed the song...It's gorgeous, if too cold!

http://www.bizcardpro.com/Kolohe/PuaHone.pdf

Comment

The federal prison at McNeil Island was just closed down earlier this year, for budgetary reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X