Arizona congresswoman shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arizona congresswoman shot

"During his campaign effort to unseat Giffords in November, Republican challenger Jesse Kelly (a Tea Bagger) held fundraisers where he urged supporters to help remove Giffords from office by joining him to shoot a fully loaded M-16 rifle. Kelly is a former Marine who served in Iraq and was pictured on his website in military gear holding his automatic weapon and promoting the event. "

Bizarre and irresponsible! In my opinion this guy is just as wacko as the shooter in this case. How that congressional contest could have even been close shows how out of touch about 50% of the Arizona voters are in that district!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

"When asked by a reporter if Giffords being shot could have been motivated by "prejudice and bigotry," Dupnik responded, "All I can tell you is that there's reason to believe that this individual may have a mental issue. And I think that people who are unbalanced are especially susceptible to vitriol."

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

First of all, I have less than 6 degrees of separation from the Green family, and that lovely little girl. So sad. All my prayers to the families.

The 2nd Amendment is a real thorn in the side of some folks. Darn that constitution.

Prison is no longer a deterrent because in the last 75 years jails have gone from miserable to "Country Clubs". There are 3 things that prisoners do NOT need. Warm Food, Clothes, Blankets. As long as there are kooks who think that prisoners have "rights" then prisons will never be deterrent again.

Gun control means hitting what you aim for. Outlawing guns means that only outlaws will have guns.

The left is still stinging over the hilariously dismal failure of Air America. Attention Lefties, if your thoughts on policy held any water, Air America would be successful.

Wackos do crazy things all the time. Try calling it what it is rather than looking for someone or something to blame.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

This video is bizarre, even if proven it wasn't a product of Loughner. I've also heard he left a good-bye message on Facebook. He is on FB but has many privacy settings. If both are true doesn't that show premeditation?

ETA:
          First of all, I have less than 6 degrees of separation from the Green family, and that lovely little girl. So sad. All my prayers to the families.
          Oh Tim, if you are a friend it's your loss, too. I'm so sorry. Come to think of it, yesterday's tragedy is a national loss. This article about that sweet little girl gave me chills.
          Last edited by tutusue; January 9, 2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            It is my fervent hope that some gun toting fool, whose perceived rights to be a gun toting fool you support, doesn't do the same thing to someone who is only one degree separated from you. And for the record, all of us have less than 6 degrees of separation from the Green family.

The 2nd Amendment is a real thorn in the side of some folks. Darn that constitution.
            It is unclear and arguable what the Constitution means by an "armed militia." But presently, it appears that more than 50% of Americans are gun loving advocates. But given a few more of this type of incident, that will change.

Gun control means hitting what you aim for. Outlawing guns means that only outlaws will have guns.
            I have no idea what that means. These are tired cliches paraded by the NRA, the National Revolutionary Army. Sounds subversive to me, maybe even Communist!

The left is still stinging over the hilariously dismal failure of Air America. Attention Lefties, if your thoughts on policy held any water, Air America would be successful.
            What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I don't know what Air America was, I never listened. What you should be talking about is the success of Faux Nerds and Radio Jerks and how they appeal and pander to the basest instincts of wackos. They even fabricate "news" to suit the appetite of their viewers and listeners.

Wackos do crazy things all the time. Try calling it what it is rather than looking for someone or something to blame.
            Yes, and sometimes they post their tu'umama'o on HT.......just calling it what it is. And that is exactly what I am doing, looking for the root cause of the incident.

Comment

A wounded woman is the first to confront and attempt to disarm the shooter.

Hooray for women! This woman had cajones! Who knows how many more might have died had she not done the heroic.

Bless you unknown woman.

Comment

Sorry to have to break the news: prison does not = country club. Prison is shackles and chains, cramped cells, forced body cavity searches, steel beds and toilets, lousy food. Country club is spacious greens, fresh air, fine food, and you can come and go as you please. That an intelligent person would say prison = country club is about as good as an example you could show of the persuasive power of radio to sell ideas, no matter how ridiculous. Sorry.

Comment

The left is still stinging over the hilariously dismal failure of Air America.
                  Aww, who's still stinging from the con butt kicking every morning by now Senator Al Frankin? His portion was a huge success, and you're still feeling it.

I'd bet big $ that the victims of any serious assault would have preferred a different outcome, particularly the dead ones, and their families. A gun handily strapped to themselves could have provided that crucial difference.
                  To have a populous armed, trained, and ready is not my idea of utopia, but it's better than being a victim or hearing daily of mass murders. My last time back to LA in '80 almost all my friends, even the peace lovers, were packing out of need for protection. Lucky we live Hawaii where the chances of such a need is much less than the madland. But that's been changing.

BTW, Palin quickly issued a statement of condolences to the victims and families. This supposedly covers her butt and now she doesn't need to comment further on it, how convenient. Then today they go back on the attack with more lies http://content.usatoday.com/communit...alin-/1?csp=34
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 9, 2011, 02:23 PM.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Mata, you know how much I love you. And by less than 6 degrees, I meant 2. And if the shit really hits the fan, you are welcome to stand behind me and help reload. And sometimes my tu'uma'oma'o strays into pono mana'o.

Ron, we may differ here and there, but I am also ALL FOR wide open carry laws. If EVERYBODY has a gun, the sane armed citizenry will outnumber the wacko armed lunatics by a jillion to 1. I think that would tend to put a lid on the kettle, so to speak. I have a sneaky suspicion that you and I agree on a lot of stuff.

Kalalau, I will say it again. Prisoners do NOT need clothes, blankets, or hot food. Also no need for weights, basketball courts, a commissary, the most expensive medical program since Congress, and a whole host of other things that are superfluous.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

We could get into a whole new thread on prisons and crime here. America already has the highest number of prisoners of any country in the world, and a higher percentage of our population locked up than any other country. A huge number of prisoners are in for victimless crimes, a huge number of them are in on mere cannabis charges. They haven't hurt anybody. Why treat them inhumanely, if they have to be in prison at all. Jesus said something about judging us on how we treat the least among us, not His exact words obviously but the point is everybody deserves some basic level of decent care, otherwise you are endorsing how Stalin and Hitler ran their prisons. Then the whole issue of innocent people locked up. In the death penalty revival thread we ran over and over the stats that there are and have been innocent people on death row, and if death row why not in the general population as well. Just the other day, another story about a guy who did 30 YEARS for a rape that DNA proved he couldn't possibly have committed. What do we owe the innocent locked up in our prisons? What do we owe the guilty? What do we owe the harmless ones who never hurt anybody? Do unto others as you would have done unto you, it easily could happen to any of us.

Comment

I'm totally against the whole War on Drugs. So we see eye to eye there.

The lady who grabbed the loaded magazine out of the perp's hands is a big hero. What a helluva story that is.

Even in AZ where concealed carry is law, not many folks flashed their heat.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          It is unclear and arguable what the Constitution means by an "armed militia." But presently, it appears that more than 50% of Americans are gun loving advocates. But given a few more of this type of incident, that will change.
                          There's a bit of difference between "gun loving" (as you put it) and rational realization that you need guns to fight guns. From the statistics online and in professional (not gun-control or NRA publications) papers, every jurisdiction that has kept guns out of the hands of honest citizens has seen an increase in crime, while wherever citizens are permitted to own and/or carry guns violent crime drops.
                          It would be nice if guns had never been invented, but it's too late for that and it's a fantasy to think guns can be eliminated or even controlled.
                          Perhaps there is something more we can do to protect innocents from crazies, but gun control has been proven to not work.
                          Perhaps we need more 'people control.' Here in Hawaii, to even OWN a gun, you must take safety classes. Perhaps a psych exam should be added as well.
                          FWIW, the 2nd amendment's "armed militia" was designed to protect Americans from all enemies, foreign and domestic.
                          Those who have guns have an advantage over those who do not.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Even in AZ where concealed carry is law, not many folks flashed their heat.
                            This was a Democratic event. Good Democrats don't carry guns - ask Nancy and Hillary.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              From the statistics online and in professional (not gun-control or NRA publications) papers, every jurisdiction that has kept guns out of the hands of honest citizens has seen an increase in crime, while wherever citizens are permitted to own and/or carry guns violent crime drops..
                              Huh?? Then how do you explain why other civilized countries with strict gun control laws, like England and Mexico, have lower violent crime rates than the US? Why does Alabama with an open carry law have one of the highest violent crime rates in the US? Despite the sensationalized "news" you read in the media about Mexico, I am safer in Mexico than I am in the US. Tucson has a higher violent crime rate than Tijuana (which has one of the highest in Mexico)!

Comment

FWIW, the 2nd amendment's "armed militia" was designed to protect Americans from all enemies, foreign and domestic.
                                The National Guard is an armed domestic militia. A bunch of gun-loving nuts is not.

Those who have guns have an advantage over those who do not.
                                Then consider yourself having an advantage over me. You are also probably younger and better looking too. BFD!

This was a Democratic event. Good Democrats don't carry guns - ask Nancy and Hillary.
                                That was a snarky comment and un-called for. I know many good Republicans who don't carry guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X