Possible reasons for hit-and-run accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible reasons for hit-and-run accidents

After reading about recent hit-and-run accidents, e.g., an accident involving an SUV driver colliding with a bicyclist and fleeing the scene, I can't help but wonder why those hit-and-run accidents happen. One possible reason is deadlines, i.e., having to arrive at a particular place by a particular time. Americans are notorious for being in a hurry. Thus, American drivers who collide with a pedestrian, bicyclist, or vehicle do not have time to stop and render aid. Heck, they don't even have time to slow down to avoid getting into an accident in the first place. Another possible reason is rudeness, i.e., the reckless driver's parents probably didn't teach him or her to share the road and treat other people with respect. As far as the idiot driver is concerned, he or she is the only one on the road and is in no mood to stop or slow down for other people. The errant driver has a "my bubble, my rules" attitude, thereby thinking that because he or she is not interacting with the world around them, it doesn't exist and therefore shouldn't interfere.

What is your opinion about the reasons I gave above? Can anyone think of other reasons for hit-and-run accidents?

Re: Possible reasons for hit-and-run accidents

The biggest reason why hit-and-run incidents occur is because the driver causing the accident is afraid of getting sued and/or arrested.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There was a hit and run in Nanakuli a couple of months ago. A man in his 80s driving an SUV hit a toddler. When found, the driver said he was completely unaware that he'd hit somebody. IIRC, the SUV's wheel didn't run over the child. I remember thinking that I believed the elderly man and that, possibly, it was time for him to stop driving.

To answer your question, IB, I think FEAR is the biggest reason. I doubt deadlines or narcissism play into it much, if at all.

Comment

After my thread on this over a year ago the number of H&Rs has skyrocketed. It's this ll close to murder. And often it's accompanied by fellow gutless non-humans that know the incident occurred yet do nothing but keep a zipped lip. Start publicizing/prosecuting these actions in a major way and the trend may reverse to where such a cold-blooded act is once again rare instead of the norm it's become.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Drugs and/or alcohol?
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

My response is for the "running" part of the Hit & Run. While distracted or impaired driving (etc.) may be a cause of the initial impact, the fleeing part is solely on the Primary driver.

-Drunk/Impaired Driver (this includes substances, age, mental capacity): May not even know they hit anything, and just keep going.
            -No Insurance: Took the risk of driving without it in the first place, and now that they hit someone, they fear losing driving privileges, arrest, lawsuits, etc.
            -"No witness, no crime" mentality: If no one saw me do it, good luck proving I did... if you can find me.
            -Driver may already have a warrant/on the lam: If the driver stops and the police check their record, they'll be arrested for previous crimes.
            -Legitimate fear: Driver shocked he/she actually did that and is afraid to face their consequences. (Ah, looks like it's been mentioned already.)
            -Driver doesn't care: May have an inherent evil inside to just not care about human life in the first place (probably rare enough as it is, but you can't discount some of those people).

I'm sure there's plenty more, and each driver will have their own reason.

Comment

BJD, #s 2, 3, 4 & 5 are all sub-categories of fear. Hmmm...maybe #3 could also be a sub-category of #6.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                BJD, #s 2, 3, 4 & 5 are all sub-categories of fear. Hmmm...maybe #3 could also be a sub-category of #6.
                Partly due to fear, but also partly because something else illegal already happened as well.

Comment

No insurance. Expired license. Expired registration. Expired safety check. All of which can result in financial penalties.

Of course, nowhere near as expensive as the consequences for getting caught for hit-and-run.

Comment

Ahhhhh memories,

I think it is a combination of things, but personally, I couldn't live with myself knowing I had hit someone and took off.

As stated, I think fear is the biggest deciding factor, it's a shame that basic human decency isn't.

Drugs/Booze, sure, may play apart but then, imo, it boils down to fear: The fear of getting a DUI/going to jail/possession charge, etc. . .

I think in my case, it was a matter of a visitor feeling like it wasn't their "home" and it wouldn't catch up to them. . .and sadly, it didn't.

Karma's is a bitch though, so who knows.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

OMG...I remember that, Tatt. You were so, so lucky. Let's hope the perp wasn't and that Karma nailed him big time.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        OMG...I remember that, Tatt. You were so, so lucky. Let's hope the perp wasn't and that Karma nailed him big time.
                        yeah, I mean, I certainly don't wish ill on anybody, but that crap pissed me off. Like I said, I seriously couldn't live w/ myself if I was the driver. I guess my nature/heart is too compassionate, but I don't think that's a flaw.

I mean, if I efffed up, I KNOW it would suck, but I would face the consequences. If I were the driver of a hit and run, I wouldn't honestly be worried about consequences, I would have more concern for the person I just hit, their family/friends/loved ones/children that my poor decision just impacted for maybe forever. There is NO way in hell the person that hit me DIDN't know that they hit me.

I was fortunate to have kinda walked/hobbled away, but I was skunked for like 4 weeks, no fun. If the positions were reversed, I would have stopped, called 911 and faced what ever consequences came my way, accidents DO happen, but when you bail on a scene like that, you obviously don't value the lives of others, and that is just bull shit.
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Here on Big Island, a firefighter just pled no contest to "leaving the scene" for a hit and run fatality in 2005!!!!

Allegedly, he was drunk, lied to police about "his wife was driving", and never even called until THE NEXT MORNING, to say they hit "something".

He MIGHT get 90 days, and a $125,000 fine.

You gotta love the crookedness of Hawaii. LOLOLOLOL. Old Boys Rule.

If you don't love it, you won't be happy here.

One thing is for sure. Mainland "newsies" have no idea about the shenanigans of Hawaii Island.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

"He MIGHT get 90 days, and a $125,000 fine"
                            Instead of a legit minimum 10 yr. sentence... But you find this crap almost everywhere, not just ol' Hawaii.

It all boils down to I DON'T CARE. How Hawaii has changed!
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                              Ahhhhh memories,

Drugs/Booze, sure, may play apart but then, imo, it boils down to fear: The fear of getting a DUI/going to jail/possession charge, etc. . .
                              Yeah. Being drunk and staying at the scene will get one arrested for one felony (aggravated DUI). Not like most drunks can consciously think about it, but fleeing a scene (although still a felony hit-and-run) may carry lesser of a punishment if there's no proof he was drunk (i.e. the alcohol wore off by the time he was arrested). After all, the 5th amendment protects the driver if PD asks if he's been drinking by that time.

Edit: Looks like timkona's post is an example of how that "worked."
                              Last edited by bjd392; January 14, 2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X