Obama's address to the nation, 01/13/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's address to the nation, 01/13/11

I thought Obama's address yesterday was one of the best Presidential presentations EVER. Inspirational, it sent chills up my spine! I could see nothing overtly political in that address. Parts of that address will be quoted into eternity. Obama is proving himself to be one for the ages even though I completely disagree with some of his policies.

Already, some conservative pundits are finding fault with the presentation. How do the conservatives on HT feel about it?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Obama's address to the nation, 01/13/11

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    How do the conservatives on HT feel about it?
    As tho it were sulfuric acid in their eyes?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Another stellar alumni from my school has a hand!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...,5216207.story

Comment

There will always be critics; but, not all of them are conservative. Regardless of who the President is, the emphasis will be placed on the opposite ideology's criticism. We can't discount the fact that people in his own party can still show harsh criticism.

Looking at follow-on news articles, websites and blogs, they say even Obama's staunch critics are showing praise. In the wake of a national tragedy, it is absolutely essential that the President be present and address the nation. Pick your tragedy: Pearl Harbor? Challenger? Oklahoma City? Columbine? 9/11? Columbia? Katrina? Consider it the President's duty to be there, and that moment is meant to put aside differences.

The President's speech certainly performed the function as required by his position. Giving credit where credit is due, his staff of speech writers did an excellent job (and that's the same sentiment I feel to every other tragedy speech).

A tragedy and a speech is only one event in a timeline of American History, and like time itself, it moves on. America still has other issues and problems to deal with, and a Presidency isn't defined on how well he speaks at a memorial. An "approval rating" will traditionally spike (as it is being shown now), but where it goes from here is determined by how well the nation's figurehead works with the nation's representation. At this point, Obama still has a lot to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
          There will always be critics; but, not all of them are conservative. We can't discount the fact that people in his own party can still show harsh criticism.

In the wake of a national tragedy, it is absolutely essential that the President be present and address the nation. Pick your tragedy: Pearl Harbor? Challenger? Oklahoma City? Columbine? 9/11? Columbia? Katrina? Consider it the President's duty to be there, and that moment is meant to put aside differences.

At this point, Obama still has a lot to prove.
          Right there is a huge difference between the free minds willing to call foul or critique when needed, as opposed to the lock-step-never-break-rank-even-for-the-country's-most-serious-needs mentality of the cons.

As tragic as this latest mass murder is, it's not a national tragedy unless your going to address the entire insanity of having this horror so common it's nearly ho-hum.
          This president, to his and our detriment, has put aside differences constantly, only to be kicked in the teeth again and again by the cons.

Prove what, that he's a legit American born president?
          He doesn't need to prove a damn thing to anybody! And all too many will never give him his due breaks any way.
          He's got 4 years to do his job no matter who thinks otherwise, and after that the public will vote, that's where they have their voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Prove what, that he's a legit American born president?
            He doesn't need to prove a damn thing to anybody! And all too many will never give him his due breaks any way.
            He's got 4 years to do his job no matter who thinks otherwise, and after that the public will vote, that's where they have their voice.
            To the contrary, the "proving" part for a 1st term President is being able to convince a nation that he's worthy enough to secure the second term. Once you're a second term President, then the statement holds true... because then there's no focus on re-election. If he doesn't plan on seeking a second term, then that statement holds true as well.

Besides, there's already a Birthers thread with over 435 posts in which I posted 0 of them, because I don't care about that issue. No need to combine that can of worms into this one.

Comment

I thought he made a good speech, maybe one of his best ever. while the service was five days after the tragis event and was a goood time to discuss the event, it may have been more helpful if he had spoke a litlle sooner to clear the air about all the politicizing of this tragedy. its too bad the college aged crowd wasnt more respectful of the fact that it was a memorial service and not a political rally. some one (pres of univ?) should have prodded a gentle reminder to the group earlier on. even obama seemed ill at ease with all the applause. interupted 52 times with applause is a little too much for a solemn occasion. The professor that offered the invocation was a little overthe top....taking too long to make a simple "prayer" smacks of activism, but maybe the culture in AZ is okay with this we are outsiders looking into their community and I am sure many wouldnt understand the hawaii tradition of blessings for new endeavors.
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

To the contrary, the "proving" part for a 1st term President is being able to convince a nation that he's worthy enough to secure the second term. Once you're a second term President, then the statement holds true... because then there's no focus on re-election. If he doesn't plan on seeking a second term, then that statement holds true as well.

Besides, there's already a Birthers thread with over 435 posts in which I posted 0 of them, because I don't care about that issue. No need to combine that can of worms into this one.
                Bull!
                The way things go for the good ones in this country, there is hardly any assurance that they'll even survive the kooks and inside-job coups/assassins, or choose/be healthy enuf to run again. He was deemed worthy by those that voted him in and that's that.
                Besides, W proved he was a major wimp/loser/failure/disaster and beat that rap for a 2nd term, thanx to con lies about Kerry and a pitiful voting public.

The birther thing is just one of many bogus piles the frantic hate crowd throw up to disrupt every Dem's job. They suck.
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 14, 2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The public has a voice every two years.

Comment

[COLOR=blue]
                    The President's speech certainly performed the function as required by his position. Giving credit where credit is due, his staff of speech writers did an excellent job (and that's the same sentiment I feel to every other tragedy speech).
                    His speechwriter did do an excellent job but it's not as if Obama simply read what someone else wrote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011306022.html

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/201...-speeches.html (/snip President Obama, meanwhile, was said to have worked throughout the night on the speech he is set to deliver at tonight's memorial service in Arizona, “Together We Thrive: Tucson and America.” /snip)

I expected that some people would always be able to find something to criticize in whatever Obama does. I was not surprised by a few comments that the speech was too long or too much like a lecture. I was a little surprised by some people suggesting that there were too many religious references and that those references must be purely for political purposes because some people doubt that Obama even goes to church. Do they not recall the bruhaha over his former pastor? or the churches in DC vying to become the one the Obamas attend?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      His speechwriter did do an excellent job but it's not as if Obama simply read what someone else wrote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011306022.html

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/201...-speeches.html [...]
                      And another article!

What I noticed most was how much feeling our President put behind that speech. He has a 9 year old daughter. I'm sure he identified with the parents of Christina. Most parents would. It makes me sick that the tea crappers have to rip to shreds everything Pres. Obama says/does/wears/moves/breathes. They're tearing this country apart at the seams and they don't give a $h!+. Shame on them.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        It makes me sick that the tea crappers have to rip to shreds everything Pres. Obama says/does/wears/moves/breathes. They're tearing this country apart at the seams and they don't give a $h!+. Shame on them.
                        As bad as some of them are, the flea bags are minor compared to the destructive evil of the cons who truly don't care how far down they take this country just as long as they are the captain at the helm as we all drown in their sewage. They treat it as a sick game, one where everybody loses.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          And another article!

What I noticed most was how much feeling our President put behind that speech. He has a 9 year old daughter. I'm sure he identified with the parents of Christina. Most parents would. It makes me sick that the tea crappers have to rip to shreds everything Pres. Obama says/does/wears/moves/breathes. They're tearing this country apart at the seams and they don't give a $h!+. Shame on them.
                          TTSue - your "another article" was the same one I posted! Great minds!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                            TTSue - your "another article" was the same one I posted! Great minds!
                            Well, so it is! Dang, I need to stop trusting that little arrow next to the thread title. I thought it was supposed to take me to the last post I read. But it takes me to the last post in the thread. I keep missing posts! Including yours! Oh well, it was a worthwhile read, even twice!

Comment

Working...
                            X