The 2011 Oahu phonebooks are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2011 Oahu phonebooks are here!

The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here!
    I counted 4 different phonebooks at the frontdoor.

Re: The 2011 Oahu phonebooks are here!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    The new phonebooks are here! I counted 4 different phonebooks at the frontdoor.
    What really irritates me is that Hawaiian Telcom delivers the phone book(s) to your door whether or not you have a phone line with them. Does the company realize how many people simply leave the books on the ground for days or weeks on end? What a waste. I consider the delivery to be worse then junk mail. At least that is delivered to your mailbox, where no one will trip over it and hurt themselves!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

How many people actually use phone books now days? I can't remember the last time I used one. If I want a phone number, I usually go to the internet.

Phone books used to be essential. But not anymore. Instead, they just gets bigger and bigger, there's more and more of them. And nobody uses them. What a waste!

Comment

I use a phone book all the time. It is way faster for me to thumb through one, than to turn on my computer and look up a number. Yes, I also have the option to use my cel phone to check on a number, but for me, a book is faster.

Although, with the typesetting getting smaller and smaller, and my eyes getting older and older, some of the books are unreadable.

I agree, a multitude of books is wasteful. Plus, some books have much more comprehensive listings than others, some are just too unreliable.

Gosh, all these complaints from me .... and I'm one of the dinosaur supporters of a hard copy phone book.

Now for my upcoming project, to sort through the different new books and keep the one that will be most useful in 2011.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I haven't used a phonebook in years though my wife still occasionally does.

I never liked the idea of automatically being put in the phonebooks with numbers and addresses. Once in California I got myself listed as Jeff Zapp just because I could.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I have found too many 'wrong numbers' - even C&C - in the new phonebooks.
            I don't know who manages their updates (Hawaiian Telcom), but I'm unimpressed.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I don't mind some of the phonebooks. Sometimes searching for things online is like the commercials for bing. If I'm looking for something nearby, I don't need the nationwide website for it.

But, at least the phonebooks are fun to practice tearing in half with your bare hands.

Comment

One real downside to phone books is that cell phone number are not normally listed. If you want to call someone, you can't look up their number. I suppose some people think that this blocks "junk calls". However, I still sometimes get them on my cell phone because there is NOTHING stopping a sales person from calling random numbers.

Comment

Sorry, my impression is that thereis too much paper wasted for duplicatie (no pun) inmfo\
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                    [...]I suppose some people think that this blocks "junk calls". However, I still sometimes get them on my cell phone because there is NOTHING stopping a sales person from calling random numbers.
                    I'm getting calls from creditors and debt collectors for the person who had my cell # before I got it 4 years ago! The creditors have been understanding. The debt collectors? There's a placed reserved in hell for all of 'em.

Phonebooks? I use them when my computer's off.

Comment

Every year, the chorus of "we don't want these" (and news stories reporting the same) seems to grow louder and more immediate. I can only hope these go the way of the dodo soon. I'm impressed to read a few here actually pick up phone books from time to time, but for crying out loud, given the volume of paper wasted, this should absolutely be an opt-in thing.

Alas, like Midweek, the phone books make money by selling advertisers on their ubiquitous distribution. I have no doubt an opt-in system would cut their "readership" by over 90 percent.

Can I also say that I was distinctly annoyed by the fact that the "Department of Emergency Management" notification system (which sends alerts for things like flash flood warnings and other items by SMS to people who enroll) was used to basically advertise the Hawaiian Telcom phone book? "You can look up tsunami evacuation maps in your Hawaiian Telcom yellow pages!" That's the kind of stuff that makes people tune out important information channels when it actually matters.

Comment

Decided to read the 2011 Oahu White pages today and on the inside front cover are the available options for the Yellow Pages version, as in if you want extra copies or you don't want future copies delivered to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X