Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firearms in the USA

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I was allowed to own guns until the Veterans Disarmament Act was passed (HR 2640).
    Thank you for the explanation; I suspected it was something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      I was under the impression you wanted an intelligent discussion. If you are baiting, you are just trolling like BJ. End of discussion!
      Well, I did want an intelligent discussion, but all I found were accusations, recriminations, allegations, doubts and general negativity from you.

The 'bait' was Truth. I told the truth and you stormed in with recriminations and doubts. You showed your true colors. I doubt you even read or understood my answers to your accusations.

I answered all of your "questions" and you come back with an attack? You accuse me of being a 'troll?' You are sorely out of touch with reality. I will accept your apology when you get your head back on straight. If your apology is sincere enough, I might even forgive you.

I'm glad you are out of a discussion in which you cannot be objective.

Bye bye.
      Last edited by Kaonohi; January 31, 2011, 09:37 PM.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

OK guys...

I've seen people on BOTH sides of the gun debate:

say reasonable things...
        say unreasonable things...
        make snide remarks...
        view the other as undeserving of respect...

Instead of worrying about the other person, what we need to realize about ourselves is:

1) Fear drives our beliefs. Anti-gun people are afraid of being harmed by people with guns. Gun people are afraid of being harmed if they don't have their guns. Fear is why we get defensive and lash out. Fear blinds us.

2) We're ignorant creatures. There's a lot we don't know. There's even more we think we know but not really. We often choose to remain ignorant, to maintain our fear-based beliefs.

3) We're lazy thinkers. We rather tell 10 people about some sensational statistic or claim we've read, instead of spending 10 minutes being critical of its validity. Critical thinking is hard work and no fun. It also threatens the foundations of the beliefs we hold dear.

Stop trying to change the other person's mind, because odds are you can't. You're just gonna get frustrated and angry. Get comfortable with the idea that people will believe you're wrong. Maybe they're partly right...

What you can do is chip away at the ignorance; yours and theirs. You don't have to agree with the other person, but try to understand where they're coming from. Conversely, show the other person where you're coming from, and be prepared for them to disregard it.

And go watch something funny.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Nah, in arguments in which they can't win, they just call the victors trolls. Never mind that a majority of the posts I put up in this forum are factual, and in many cases, irrefutable. But if facts create a nuisance to those who can't handle them, then I'll gladly accept the title of "troll." But in examining the amount of restraint I place on all of my posts (with the exception of that one that's allegedly the 'troll' post), I am nowhere near the name-calling, whining nuisances of some people here who insist on living on a high horse while trudging in the muck.

Even some of the posters here have disclaimers in their signature blocks that admit they will post things that people disagree with, and too bad for you if you feel offended. Guess what? Too bad for you if you feel offended by what I say too. Unfortunately for you, I don't have a track-record of being a board troll; just a track record of posting comments that are not in agreement with a majority of other people here. I should be more concerned of some of you guys being trolls, because some of these posts are just irritating and annoying, and really try to make yourself look better while adding absolutely no value; but, I'm not going to baby out and go name-calling just because one of them seems a little more over the line than one's tolerance can take.

I discuss this board with people in the real living and breathing world, and even show these threads to some of my friends. As despicible as you think some of my comments are, MANY PEOPLE AGREE WITH THE COMMENTS, and actually pity you.

Otherwise, if I feel there's something I should take down, I have my own edit button, and I can take it down myself. But I usually don't feel that way after hitting the Submit Reply button.

Comment

Hey looky here:

Some guy tries to take on a police station with a shotgun. He didn't get very far.

It seems he had complete surprise. No one noticed him until he got off the first shot(s), at point blank range. I wonder if he knew you actually have to aim a shotgun? Maybe he thought all four officers would go POOF with the first shot? Too much video game training.

A video of a police commentary on the video.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I would have accidentally shot myself if I had a gun!
              People shouldn't underestimate their ability to control a gun, with the proper training and mindset. It didn't take me long before my index finger naturally wanted to point straight out, resting on the frame of the gun (a position which keeps it outside of the trigger guard). As long as they're not fighting bad habits, I believe people can quickly learn the proper muscle memory.

There are many more better reasons for not owning a gun than "you'll shoot our eyes out".

Now where I believe most people do accidentally shoot themselves is cleaning their gun when they were "absolutely sure" it was unloaded. Negligent discharges happen when gun owners become complacent. Usually something distracts you from your routine and you fail to realize you skipped a step or did something differently.

I have a better chance of being struck by lightning on the golf course (I don't play golf) than I have a encountering an armed intruder in my neighborhood.
              An intruder doesn't need to be armed to be dangerous; it's about disparity of force. Is he larger, stronger, faster, or more skilled than you? Is he gripping a pry bar or screw driver in his hand? Is he drugged up and feeling no pain? Did he bring an accomplice?

Another case of disparity is females vs. males. My wife struggles with opening jar lids; she won't have the upper body strength to fight off an average male (of course there are some woman who could slap me silly; lucky husbands).

On the subject of odds and probabilities, I will concede the odds are fairly low. According to the Bureau of Justice's NCVS, in 2008, 2.6% of homes were burglarized (+2% for low income homes, -1% for high income homes). In addition, sane burglars commit their crime in the middle of the work day, when the odds of someone being home is low.

My concern is for the burglars willing or wanting to break in when someone IS home. I consider a gun a form of insurance. We buy insurance for events that are unlikely, but are devastating if they do occur (life insurance, home insurance, etc.).
              "

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                I am nowhere near the name-calling, whining nuisances of some people here who insist on living on a high horse while trudging in the muck.
                Ummm....

Oh, forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Ummm....

Oh, forget it.
                  Yeah, I vote we try to stay on topic rather than using this thread for reasons that are obviously off-topic.

The poll was an attempt to find out how HT members view firearms and restrictions. No poll is perfect, but I found the results interesting.

I don't know if it's valid or on-topic to answer challenging questions... or to challenge incorrect assumptions. Too often it ends up as a mud-slinging event.

I'm probably too sensitive to posts directed at me personally which seem to be attacks. I'll work on that.
                  Last edited by Kaonohi; February 1, 2011, 12:37 PM.
                  ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                    I've seen people on BOTH sides of the gun debate:
                    (...)
                    Instead of worrying about the other person, what we need to realize about ourselves is:
                    1) Fear drives our beliefs.
                    2) We're ignorant creatures.
                    3) We're lazy thinkers.
                    Stop trying to change the other person's mind, because odds are you can't.
                    What you can do is chip away at the ignorance; yours and theirs.
                    I just thought that your reasonable and thoughtful post should not go unacknowledged....
                    ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      I just thought that your reasonable and thoughtful post should not go unacknowledged....
                      Thanks, buddy You distilled it well. Nice job editing.
                      "

Comment

I would love to see that list applied to a discussion of society as a whole. We should make a thread.........

What to call it?????? Where to stick it (be nice now......)?

Decisions, decisions

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          I would love to see that list applied to a discussion of society as a whole. We should make a thread.........

Decisions, decisions
                          Please, do contribute! Knowledge elevates us as a species. Consensus and/or differences discussed brings us closer together.

Please consider working on just that thing!
                          K?
                          ~ ~

Comment

Looks like among respondents we have a majority for firearm rights for law-abiding citizens in America, excluding 'some people' (assumed lawbreakers, incompetent, etc.), excluding machine guns and similar weapons (of mass destruction?), with a strong desire for training and screening (good call!).

I learned some things about framing a poll as well, and next time I'll include more instructions in the title and frame questions better (I hope).

For those who participated, thank you. The poll is still open till the afternoon of Feb 22, for those who have yet to participate.
                            This poll is representative only of those members of HT who chose to participate, and is not intended to represent a majority opinion of Americans or even of all HT members.
                            ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post

Where to stick it indeed...

We could go academic and call it, "The Human Condition", or in another vein, "We All Stay Mess in da Head"

Since lists have a genetic desire to grow, I would also add:
                              4) EVERY human action is a "selfish" one

On a tangent, my friend was trying to explain Lacanian psychoanalysis to me. Apparently EVERYONE is one of three types: Neurotic, Psychotic, or Pervert

There's no sane person, just people who have adapted enough to be accepted into society (or whose insanity is found useful by society in certain contexts).

The Neurotic gains pleasure through fantasy. The Neurotic guy will brag about how he'd bang the hot girl, but if ever given the actual chance, he'd sabotage himself.

To the Psychotic, there is no difference between fantasy and reality. If he believes water is acid, he'll writhe in pain whenever he sweats.

The Pervert doesn't care about fantasy because he goes out and does what he wants. Perverts are the least understood, because they never bother to come in for therapy; they're too busy banging sheep.
                              "

Comment

Re: The deterrence does work

Ah, an article from CNN (a news source I don't particularly care for). At least this article is pretty funny.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/08/...911/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                X