View Poll Results: What is your position on firearms?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

8 42.11%
  • Some people should be excluded from the 2nd amendment rights.

7 36.84%
  • Some firearm types (e.g., machine guns) should be banned.

8 42.11%
  • Ownership is unrestricted, but carry rights are conditional.

3 15.79%
  • Ownership only by 'law-abiding citizens" is permitted.

3 15.79%
  • Both ownership and carry rights are only for trained and screened people.

4 21.05%
  • Citizens should "prove a need" to own or carry firearms.

0 0%
  • Both ownership and carry rights are only for trained and screened law enforcement and security.

1 5.26%
  • Only Law Enforcement should have firearms.

2 10.53%
  • All firearms that can be found should be banned and destroyed.

1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firearms in the USA

Default Re: Firearms in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I would have accidentally shot myself if I had a gun!
    People shouldn't underestimate their ability to control a gun, with the proper training and mindset. It didn't take me long before my index finger naturally wanted to point straight out, resting on the frame of the gun (a position which keeps it outside of the trigger guard). As long as they're not fighting bad habits, I believe people can quickly learn the proper muscle memory.

There are many more better reasons for not owning a gun than "you'll shoot our eyes out".

Now where I believe most people do accidentally shoot themselves is cleaning their gun when they were "absolutely sure" it was unloaded. Negligent discharges happen when gun owners become complacent. Usually something distracts you from your routine and you fail to realize you skipped a step or did something differently.

I have a better chance of being struck by lightning on the golf course (I don't play golf) than I have a encountering an armed intruder in my neighborhood.
    An intruder doesn't need to be armed to be dangerous; it's about disparity of force. Is he larger, stronger, faster, or more skilled than you? Is he gripping a pry bar or screw driver in his hand? Is he drugged up and feeling no pain? Did he bring an accomplice?

Another case of disparity is females vs. males. My wife struggles with opening jar lids; she won't have the upper body strength to fight off an average male (of course there are some woman who could slap me silly; lucky husbands).

On the subject of odds and probabilities, I will concede the odds are fairly low. According to the Bureau of Justice's NCVS, in 2008, 2.6% of homes were burglarized (+2% for low income homes, -1% for high income homes). In addition, sane burglars commit their crime in the middle of the work day, when the odds of someone being home is low.

My concern is for the burglars willing or wanting to break in when someone IS home. I consider a gun a form of insurance. We buy insurance for events that are unlikely, but are devastating if they do occur (life insurance, home insurance, etc.).
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    I am nowhere near the name-calling, whining nuisances of some people here who insist on living on a high horse while trudging in the muck.
    Ummm....

Oh, forget it.

Thumbs up Re: Firearms in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Ummm....

Oh, forget it.
    Yeah, I vote we try to stay on topic rather than using this thread for reasons that are obviously off-topic.

The poll was an attempt to find out how HT members view firearms and restrictions. No poll is perfect, but I found the results interesting.

I don't know if it's valid or on-topic to answer challenging questions... or to challenge incorrect assumptions. Too often it ends up as a mud-slinging event.

I'm probably too sensitive to posts directed at me personally which seem to be attacks. I'll work on that.
    Last edited by Kaonohi; February 1st, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Wink Re: Firearms in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    I've seen people on BOTH sides of the gun debate:
    (...)
    Instead of worrying about the other person, what we need to realize about ourselves is:
    1) Fear drives our beliefs.
    2) We're ignorant creatures.
    3) We're lazy thinkers.
    Stop trying to change the other person's mind, because odds are you can't.
    What you can do is chip away at the ignorance; yours and theirs.
    I just thought that your reasonable and thoughtful post should not go unacknowledged....
    ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I just thought that your reasonable and thoughtful post should not go unacknowledged....
    Thanks, buddy You distilled it well. Nice job editing.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

I would love to see that list applied to a discussion of society as a whole. We should make a thread.........

What to call it?????? Where to stick it (be nice now......)?

Decisions, decisions

Smile Re: Firearms in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
    I would love to see that list applied to a discussion of society as a whole. We should make a thread.........

Decisions, decisions
    Please, do contribute! Knowledge elevates us as a species. Consensus and/or differences discussed brings us closer together.

Please consider working on just that thing!
    K?
    ~ ~

Looks like among respondents we have a majority for firearm rights for law-abiding citizens in America, excluding 'some people' (assumed lawbreakers, incompetent, etc.), excluding machine guns and similar weapons (of mass destruction?), with a strong desire for training and screening (good call!).

I learned some things about framing a poll as well, and next time I'll include more instructions in the title and frame questions better (I hope).

For those who participated, thank you. The poll is still open till the afternoon of Feb 22, for those who have yet to participate.
    This poll is representative only of those members of HT who chose to participate, and is not intended to represent a majority opinion of Americans or even of all HT members.
    ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post

Where to stick it indeed...

We could go academic and call it, "The Human Condition", or in another vein, "We All Stay Mess in da Head"

Since lists have a genetic desire to grow, I would also add:
    4) EVERY human action is a "selfish" one

On a tangent, my friend was trying to explain Lacanian psychoanalysis to me. Apparently EVERYONE is one of three types: Neurotic, Psychotic, or Pervert

There's no sane person, just people who have adapted enough to be accepted into society (or whose insanity is found useful by society in certain contexts).

The Neurotic gains pleasure through fantasy. The Neurotic guy will brag about how he'd bang the hot girl, but if ever given the actual chance, he'd sabotage himself.

To the Psychotic, there is no difference between fantasy and reality. If he believes water is acid, he'll writhe in pain whenever he sweats.

The Pervert doesn't care about fantasy because he goes out and does what he wants. Perverts are the least understood, because they never bother to come in for therapy; they're too busy banging sheep.
    "

Talking Re: The deterrence does work

Ah, an article from CNN (a news source I don't particularly care for). At least this article is pretty funny.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/08/...911/index.html

Cool Re: The deterrence does work

Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    Ah, an article from CNN (a news source I don't particularly care for). At least this article is pretty funny.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/08/...911/index.html
    Often, just the presence of a firearm is adequate to deter criminal actions, such as: murder, rape, burgulary, trespassing, assault, theft, destruction, etc.

I have personally scared off tresspassers simply by cocking (interesting term!) my revolver so they could hear it.

I don't want to kill people, or even injure them, but I will if I determine it necessary (i.e., if I feel a threat to my person or family.)

Don't threaten me first, and I won't threaten you. QED.
    ~ ~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123