Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

  1. #26

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    "How do we solve this? Do what Clinton did, RAISE TAXES! Clinton left office with a budget surplus after fixing the mess left by Reagan. Start by increasing the marginal tax rate to 39% for personal incomes over $100K and 50% for incomes over $250K per year and the corporate marginal tax rate to 75%. Start a Federally funded WPA style program like in the 30's. Start by fixing and improving our infrastructure. Put people back to work and paying taxes! Provide public services for our most needy!"---A BIG Amen!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Cool Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Why did the stockholders/buyers lower their expectations and lose faith under W?
    Pretty simple - I'm surprised you don't get it. We had a POTUS who was throwing billions of dollars overseas in TWO wars. He was extending special privileges and 'get out of jail free' cards to the ultra rich, and was tanking the economy.
    You don't buy stocks when you expect the market to dump - 'buy low, sell high.'

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Your argument has little merit in accepted and verified economic theory, both Liberal and Conservative.
    I don't pretend to be an economist, I'm an observer; like I said, I watch results, not promises, and I've also observed that theories change with the tides.

    The ONLY argument I made, in any case, was that we make the market go up and down. I don't really care what theories say, I know that when people are unwilling (or unable) to buy stocks, the prices will go down. When they are willing (or able) to pay higher prices, the prices will go up. Or did the laws of supply and demand get repealed?

    Without knowing current economic 'theories,' I made a lot of money over the past 10 years - in the stock market.
    Last edited by Kaonohi; March 4th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Pretty simple - I'm surprised you don't get it.
    Because I'm 'tupid? I don't know, I'm clueless.

    I don't pretend to be an economist, I'm an observer;
    More truth than poetry in that!

    like I said, I watch results, not promises, and I've also observed that theories change with the tides.......I don't really care what theories say,
    Bagger economics don't work! Ohana, this is what is called a circular argument.......in action!

    I gave my solutions, what are yours! I notice you didn't disagree with my solutions. Put up ot shut up! Stop trolling!

    Without knowing current economic 'theories,'
    As Kalalau says, "a BIG amen." Then don't debate economic 'theories' if you don't know what you're talking about. If you're going to a dog fight, don't bring a Chihuahua.

    I made a lot of money over the past 10 years - in the stock market.
    Matapule is REALLY impressed! Then use some of it to help the socially challenged homeless! Or why don't you gve about $10K to Auntie Pupule's Slipper Project? Or you can join the Bagger/Libertarian/uber-
    conservative "me, me. me" mindset.

    Nuf said.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Question Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Because I'm 'tupid? I don't know, I'm clueless.
    More truth than poetry in that!

    I gave my solutions, what are yours! I notice you didn't disagree with my solutions. Put up ot shut up! Stop trolling!

    Matapule is REALLY impressed! Then use some of it to help the socially challenged homeless! Or why don't you gve about $10K to Auntie Pupule's Slipper Project? Or you can join the Bagger/Libertarian/uber-
    conservative "me, me. me" mindset.

    Nuf said.
    Perhaps too much, and too much baiting!!! I got the impression you don't like baiting, then why do you keep doing it?
    I never called you stupid - and trolling? Do you understand the term?
    WTF do you keep accusing me of being a "Bagger?" I'm not - that is trolling.

    I didn't disagree with your solutions cause I agreed with them, I think they are right on. I don't have anything better.

    We give a considerable portion of our income to charity annually - mostly health and social causes. Not that it's any of your business - but it sure goes to show you don't know S%!~ about me, in spite of your pretensions.

    I added what I believed. This is an open forum; I don't have to meet YOUR criteria to post my opinions, just the forum rules.

    Maka, it looks to me like you seem to have a personal problem. I know something I did or didn't do upset you and now you attack me at every opportunity. You're not even decent enough to contact me via PM and discuss the truth, you just simmer and attack. It all started when you were 'commanding' me to apologise to Frankie for I know not what - and you won't even discuss it, you just keep throwing stones.

    Reading your above post you seem out of control, either consumed with anger or in an altered state of mind. Once before you apologised for a post where you said you drank too much - then you reply to my homeless post saying don't post when drinking? That too, is trolling.

    I'm tired of these attacks. I have as much right to post here as you do and a right to my opinion, whether wrong or right. You have a right to disagree, or ignore my posts, you have no right to attack me, no matter what kind of Tongan Tahuna or royalty being a 'matapule' may make you.

    From our HT forum rules: (italics mine)
    "Do you have rules?Sure. No make huhu. That is to say, the standard guidelines of online communities apply.

    There are three key considerations. First, no posting obscene, illegal, inflammatory or libelous content. Second, all outside announcements and promotional material (be it for a business, non-profit community group, or private project) should be relevant to Hawaii and limited to the "
    Hale Ku`ai" (Marketplace) section. Finally, no personal attacks: discuss, debate, and dissect ideas, not each other.

    Hint: Just don't post when mad, or just to get someone else mad. Rising blood pressure is a good sign that it's time to step away from the keyboard for a while."


    Your personal attacks draw the community away from the purpose of the thread, and they make you look bad, as well. My suggestion? Get smart; do the right thing. At least follow the rules.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  5. #30

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    I tell you this from the bottom of my heart: the ONLY reason you would want to fire thousands of people during a recovery from a recession would be to make the economy fall into recession again. That is the ONLY reason the Republicans want to slash the federal budget. They had NO problem with 2 unnecessary wars and tax breaks for billionaires and a needlessly costly (to the tune of $500 billion costly) senior drug benefit, and now suddenly they care about deficits. Give me a f------ break! Now is the time to HIRE people and God knows there's a ton of work that needs to be done, every pot hole you hit (how are they in Hawai'i now? Here in Cal the roads are like Mexico 15 years ago) testifies. And then why do they want power? Why to deregulate Wall St. so their campaign contributors can loot it again! It is so sick.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
    They had NO problem with 2 unnecessary wars and ... blah blah blah
    There's that whole blaming Republicans for funding wars during the last 3 sessions of Congressional Democratic supermajority again. But then again, posters have said it enough, that if it's said enough it becomes truth. If one really believes Democrats would have defunded the wars, they would have actually done it when they owned Congress outright... years ago. This portion of the argument has been crushed several times already and is stricken from the list. Ya'll sound like a broken record playing a crappy song.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    We had a POTUS who was throwing billions of dollars overseas in TWO wars...
    We had... and have... a POTUS that is sending military members and their supplies overseas in two wars. Funding for this is voted for in Congress. If Congress doesn't want to fund the effort to put troops and machines overseas, then they couldn't afford to get them there or sustain their operations. As the dead horse continues to die, it was possible to withdraw years ago and reduce the Defense Budget. But, one doesn't just defund a military when the commitment is already there.

    I figure if there's enough people in this forum so willing to turn their backs on American servicemembers so quickly, then my comment that we should slash humanitarian aid to worthless countries who don't appreciate it doesn't come close to the sick and twisted thinking demonstrated in here.

  8. #33

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Sorry, but it is infinitely easier to START a war than to get out of one. Once Saddam was toppled, we HAD to more or less occupy the country so anarchy wouldn't produce a series of civil wars with Al Qaeda finally coming in to pick up the pieces. Afghanistan...as gruesome as the Taliban gvt. there was, if bush had actually read the intelligence report forecasting the 9-11 attacks that he was given over a month before they occurred, and acted to prevent them, we could have saved hundreds of billions of dollars by having no need to attack and occupy Afghanistan, which now like Iraq we need to subdue lest Al Qaeda come in and rearrange the landscape. And look at the mere politics of defunding a war, has it ever been done? "Soft on Communism", "Let the Commies take over China", that kind of rhetoric kept the totally needless and futile Vietnam War going for a whole generation, it accomplished nothing, do you think for a moment Republicans wouldn't have said, "..gave Iraq to the Moslem extremists!!"? And they might have even been right. That accusation still could be, but the blame does go on the idiot boy bush for taking down Saddam Hussein in the first place. This isn't a party thing, I sincerely admire bush's dad, the elected President Bush, for NOT going to Baghdad after kicking Saddam out of Kuwait, it was a totally brilliant move, too bad his idiot son didn't see the genius in leaving the weakened Saddam as the counterbalance to Iran. Now we must do that ourselves, and we must pay for it, and it is extremely costly to do so. An economic noose around our neck, it is a luxury we could never afford. You fight wars if you have to, if you absolutely have to, but not just to gratify the ego if a mental midget with a personality defect.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    There's that whole blaming Republicans for funding wars during the last 3 sessions of Congressional Democratic supermajority again. But then again, posters have said it enough, that if it's said enough it becomes truth. If one really believes Democrats would have defunded the wars, they would have actually done it when they owned Congress outright... years ago. This portion of the argument has been crushed several times already and is stricken from the list. Ya'll sound like a broken record playing a crappy song.
    You read the darndest things on the Internet, much of it misleading or outright "liar, liar, pants on fire" variety.

    Here are the facts about Democrat control of Congress:

    Democrats had a majority in the House from 2007 through 2009. The rest of the time, 1995 through 2007 the Republicans were in control. At no time was it a Democrat "supermajority." The Republicans could effectively filibuster any move through this period (2007 - 2009) to end the funding of the mid-East wars.

    Democrats had a majority in the Senate from 2007 through 2009. In 2001 it was 50/50 but a Republican switched to Independnent midway through his term and theoretically gave the Democrats a one vote control. In the 2009th Senate there was theoretically a bare Democrat supermajority if you count Independents and Blue Dog Democrats as voting with more Progressive Democrats in a block. It never happened without significant Democrat concessions on any matter. The Independent Lieberman was and still is a staunch supporter of the war as well as most Blue Dogs. So the supermajority was in name only and not in fact.

    There was an effort by a majority of Democrats in Congress last year to stop funding of the war but it was never a supermajority in the Senate or House. Obama still apparently favors these expensive ventures in the mid-East and has failed to keep his promise to get us out - NOW! But it is the Republicans, to a (wo)man, who continue to control Congressional approval (as a political party) and funding of the mid-East ventures and have always had control with support from a few colleague conservative Democrats.

    You can easily Google my argument above for it's accuracy. You decide who is being more accurate, matapule or BJD. YOU determine who continues to spread the lies in the name of truth.

    Finally, here is a perspective added by Nobel economist Paul Krugman:

    Bush-era Democrats weren’t nearly as determined to frustrate the majority party, at any cost, as Obama-era Republicans. Certainly, Democrats never did anything like what Republicans did last week: G.O.P. senators held up spending for the Defense Department — which was on the verge of running out of money — in an attempt to delay action on health care.
    More important, however, Mr. Bush was a buy-now-pay-later president. He pushed through big tax cuts, but never tried to pass spending cuts to make up for the revenue loss. He rushed the nation into war, but never asked Congress to pay for it (with Republicans in complete charge for 6 of his 8 year term). He added an expensive drug benefit to Medicare, but left it completely unfunded. Yes, he had legislative victories; but he didn’t show that Congress can make hard choices and act responsibly, because he never asked it to.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    259

    Exclamation Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    You read the darndest things on the Internet, much of it misleading or outright "liar, liar, pants on fire" variety.

    blah blah blah

    You can easily Google my argument above for it's accuracy.
    Now why the hell would I google your argument when it'd just be another one of those 'misleading darndest things on the internet?' Sometimes a few of these threads fall under that category.

    I really thought you were better than this. I even took a week off this site to do something more productive in Hawaii and yet I come back to the same crap. So I realize I'm not the root cause to your problems, and Kaonohi isn't a root cause to your problems... YOU are a root cause to your own problems. Everything seems to have to be a comparison to you to defend whatever noble title you cling onto. Whatever makes you feel better. It's certainly easier to call other people trolls, but apparently you've mastered that art.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •