• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Obama donar quits envoy job amidst criticism

Source: http://www.hawaiiantel.net/news/read...2_UNEWS&page=1
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: Big Obama donar quits envoy job amidst criticism

Good riddance. If she was that bad then she needed to go, we need the best. But getting the best people in junk jobs isn't easy and all admins go thru this kind of hell, except those like Bush that staff only the most hard core idealogs of their own kind and excuse/ignore and in fact support all their dangerous faults no matter what.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Good riddance. If she was that bad then she needed to go, we need the best. But getting the best people in junk jobs isn't easy and all admins go thru this kind of hell, except those like Bush that staff only the most hard core idealogs of their own kind and excuse/ignore and in fact support all their dangerous faults no matter what.
      Junk job??? The appointment that Cynthia Stroum received (US ambassador to Luxembourg) was a plum. It's not like she was a placed in some politically unstable, impoverished third-world country.

For all of the wealth that Ms. Stroum has, it appears that she was in over her head when it came to leading an embassy. That she's leaving her post with the only transgressions being a mismanaged budget and not getting along with her staff isn't too bad, relatively speaking. President Obama is fortunate that Stroum's incompetence didn't lead to some embarrassing diplomatic faux pas.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Junk job??? The appointment that Cynthia Stroum received (US ambassador to Luxembourg) was a plum.
        Yes, but one of the few exceptions to the rule, most foreign positions aren't so sweet, and then comes the actual work.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          [...] That she's leaving her post with the only transgressions being a mismanaged budget and not getting along with her staff isn't too bad, relatively speaking. President Obama is fortunate that Stroum's incompetence didn't lead to some embarrassing diplomatic faux pas.
          Indeed he is! "Not getting along with her staff" is putting it mildly:
          The report says her tenure of about one year was fraught with personality conflicts, verbal abuse [...].
          The situation was so bad that the inspector general recommended that the State Department dispatch medical personnel to Luxembourg to test the stress levels of embassy employees. It said at least four staffers quit or sought transfers to Iraq and Afghanistan during her tenure, unusual steps for diplomats assigned to a modern, Western European capital.
          (my emphasis)
          The bulk of the mission's internal problems are linked to her leadership deficiencies, the most damaging of which is an abusive management style
          Those who have questioned or challenged some of the ambassador's actions state that they have paid a heavy price in the form of verbal abuse and been threatened with dismissal
          I can't imagine what it's like to like in the skin of someone who is a raving maniac to the point that employees would rather work in Iraq or Afganistan. Hopefully the medical personnel tested her, too. President Obama is very lucky to be rid of Stroum.

Comment

A very close friend of mine (former Peace Corps in Mali) is a career member of the Foreign Service. Matapule and uaifi flew to DC for his swearing in several years ago. He absolutely hates when a political appointment is made to head a foreign mission - whether it be Rethug or Dumbmo. It is his opinion that career employees make the best diplomats, not someone who can "buy" a vanity position through political contributions.

My friend wanted me to apply for the Foreign Service, but I told him it would be a step down from Matapule! although the pay would be better!

Good riddance to the person in question!
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'd hate to work with her in the private sector, though I wonder if her personality is what it takes for a woman to be treated as an equal among American business men...
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Indeed he is! "Not getting along with her staff" is putting it mildly:
                Yes, my understatement was quite deliberate. If I knew everything written in the report to be a fact, I would agree with the assessment that she was some kind of megalomaniac. But in any kind of an organizational conflict, there's always more than one side of the story. That Cynthia Strom had multiple folks quitting on her is reason enough to question her competency for the position, without jumping to any conclusions.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                X