Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just Hikers?

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Science tempts it's followers to exploit nature? If by followers you mean adherents, I humbly, yet strongly, disagree.
    By followers I mean people who advance science and those who benefit from it, which is pretty much everyone in America, myself included.

I painted a broad stroke, so I'm not surprised there is disagreement. What in particular do you disagree with?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Science is a realm of ideas only, one which is mostly a mystery to 'pretty much everyone in America,' as shown in the results of many surveys. The benefit you're referring to, if not the advantage of increased understanding only, is not a product or result of science - it's a whole 'nother beast.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

So if I'm understanding you right, you're making a distinction between Science and say Applied Science?
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

I guess when you use the term 'applied science,' you mean engineering. Yes, engineering is a discipline quite divergent and distinct from science. Many, perhaps most, fields in science have no correlation to engineering. As well, engineering is very often a product of art more than science. If you wish to call engineering 'applied science,' then why not music, painting and sculpture, as well? They qualify to precisely the same degree.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Science is a realm of ideas only, one which is mostly a mystery to 'pretty much everyone in America,' as shown in the results of many surveys. The benefit you're referring to, if not the advantage of increased understanding only, is not a product or result of science - it's a whole 'nother beast.
            I guess when you use the term 'applied science,' you mean engineering. Yes, engineering is a discipline quite divergent and distinct from science. Many, perhaps most, fields in science have no correlation to engineering. As well, engineering is very often a product of art more than science. If you wish to call engineering 'applied science,' then why not music, painting and sculpture, as well? They qualify to precisely the same degree.
            Hallelujah on all counts! FWIW, music, painting and sculpture are considered applied science - at least in my world. Engineering is not.

And just to keep things on topic (don't want to get yelled at) - if someone wants to go hiking in a "dangerous" place, I say let 'em. There is danger everywhere. MM just said in another thread, he is going on a geo-adventure. I'm guessing that is just as dangerous in its own way. (Stay safe, MM)

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
              Hallelujah on all counts! FWIW, music, painting and sculpture are considered applied science
              Haha, I was just waiting for AcousticLady to chime in, at the mention of music and science :_)

If you all are interested in continuing this tangent, I created a new thread.
              "

Comment

Working...
              X