Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Hikers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12375575

If these kids are 'just hiking' they sure picked a terrible place to vacation.

Sounds fishy to me.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Just Hikers?

Almost reminds me of the latest Rambo movie, where Rambo is telling the missionaries not to go up the river because it's dangerous. But the boneheads do it anyway, and sure enough, chaos breaks loose and they're all abducted and held hostage.

So we look at the regions of conflict in the world, and the ones that are always a danger to Americans (whether tourists, missionaries or peacekeepers) are the Middle East, Central Africa, North Africa, Korea, and the 'Stans. And yet people still go...

"Hey, guys! Let's go take a 3 week hiking vacation to IRAQ! We'll go hike along the border; it'll be FUN!"

When this story first broke out, I was not surprised to see a lack of sympathy. Everyone's initial reaction was the obvious one: WTH are you doing there, you idiots?

Comment

I'm curious to know who the hell paid Ms. Shourd's $500,000 bail. Da Kine Bail Bonds? Maybe we'll see a new reality TV series where Dog the Bounty Hunter drags Ms. Shourd back to Iran; to the dismay of the American people; but then in a plot twist Duane aids Delta Force in breaking all three Americans out of the Iran in a daring raid.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

There's basically 2 choices.

1. Misguided, miseducated Berzerkely libnuts who think the world is a wonderful place full of sunshine and butterflies, and that Islam is not a threat to the world so much as America is a threat to the world.

OR

2. CIA
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I disagree. What an amazing hike they must have been having! The things they got to see! I commend them for their bravery and sense of adventure - hiking out where few have been! (Until they got lost/ taken hostage. )
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

'Fraid I fit that profile, except for the misguided, miseducated libnut (sic) part.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

So Salmon.....just to clarify....

You saying that America is a bigger threat to the world stability than Islam??

Wow.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Just count the nukes and the nuts and you'll find how dominant we really are in both categories.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    Just count the nukes and the nuts and you'll find how dominant we really are in both categories.
                    Islam is growing fast, and may even outnumber any other religion as we speak. All Muslims I have met don't fit the 'nut' category though, but I don't get around much, and both the US and the Islamic world have more than their share as far as I can tell.

Thank god no nukes have come out - if they do, it's all over.

Global stability is threatened by conflict, and conflict takes two parties. The current series of crises, probably starting with Iran - or maybe with the crusades - up to 9/11, the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and up to the present 'street invasions' in Paris and New York, are scary! It's evident we are both a threat to global stability - and no one is blinking.

"You got the guns but we got the numbers. Gonna win, we're taking over!" Jim Morrison, the Doors.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Islam is growing fast, and may even outnumber any other religion as we speak.
                      As I posted in another thread nearly a year ago:
                      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      In a compilation from encyclopedic sources, Christianity has around 2.1 billion adherents, while Islam has about 1.5 billion worldwide. (Third ranking group? About 1.1 billion who identify as "Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist.")
                      I think Salmoned's point can't be so easily dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        Misguided, miseducated Berzerkely libnuts who think the world is a wonderful place full of sunshine and butterflies, and that Islam is not a threat to the world so much as America is a threat to the world.
                        I am a relatively well educated graduate of Berkeley who is guided by progressive ideals. I have observed America from the prespective of the inside of a Tongan fale. It is my opinion that America is, at present, the greatest threat to the world from a cultural, economic, gun-loving, self-interested, clueless, educational point of view. Do I hate America? No, just the opposite. I care so much about America that I am working diligently to improve it.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          I disagree. What an amazing hike they must have been having! The things they got to see! I commend them for their bravery and sense of adventure - hiking out where few have been! (Until they got lost/ taken hostage. )
                          yeah it's always the ending that can make or break a vacation.

As for hiking in dangerous places, the Kamehameha Lions club goes to Afghanistan to help distribute recycled glasses to remote villages. And yes it's dangerous. There will be an upcoming documentary on these travels on TV soon. Trips such as these help build relations with Afghan villagers who only know the Taliban and of nothing else.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Instead of comparing Islam with Christianity, when debating which is more dangerous, we should compare Islam with Science.

Islam may (I'm ignorant about Islam) encourage its followers to blow themselves up in the name of Allah, but Science tempts its followers to exploit Nature in the name of "progress" and profit. People are a part of Nature, so inevitably Science gives us the power to exploit people.

There are many ways to "kill" a person. You can do it dramatically with a suicide vest. You can also do it slowly and subtly with an unhealthy food supply, environmental pollution, or greedy monetary policy.

Science has granted humanity too much power too fast. We're like a child who just discovered the marvels of a match. Hopefully we learn our lessons from just burning our fingers, instead of burning the house down.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            It is my opinion that America is, at present, the greatest threat to the world from a cultural, economic, gun-loving, self-interested, clueless, educational point of view.
                            I kinda agree. America is one of the biggest threats, not because its culture or people are evil, but simply because we're one of the most powerful nations in the world. We have a lot of power to do either good or bad. Much like a gun.

/grin

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            the Kamehameha Lions club goes to Afghanistan to help distribute recycled glasses to remote villages.
                            That's great to hear, Craig. I'm sure both sides of the exchange will learn a little more about the world we share.

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                            "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
                            One of my favorite quotes.

/thumbs up
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Science tempts it's followers to exploit nature? If by followers you mean adherents, I humbly, yet strongly, disagree.

Comment

Working...
                              X