Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kawena Pukui Arts Festival @ Bishop Museum

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/media/2011/pr11004.html

CELEBRATING SONG, DANCE, AND STORY-Mary Kawena Pukui Arts Festival Celebrates the Stories of the Heart

It’s time again to honor the arts of native cultures through performances and cultural activities. The 11th annual Mary Kawena Pukui Arts Festival at Bishop Museum is THIS Sunday (Feb 13) from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

This event is free for Bishop Museum Members. A $5 special rate will apply for kama‘āina and military (proper identification required); children three and under are free. Regular admission rates apply for all other visitors.

I am singing a collection of my favorite love songs and honoring my Maori and Samoan heritage from 2:50 - 3:30 p.m.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Mary Kawena Pukui Arts Festival @ Bishop Museum

Oh, I am SO overdue to visit BPBM! I don't even know if the Hawaiian Hall renovation preserved my hard work on exhibits. Probably not.

This is a GREAT excuse! See you there.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Sunday 2/13 is my 49th birthday and I'm not scheduled to work.
      But I'll try and make it to hear KiwiDiva sing!!! I'd like to.

And Kaonohi... I think you'll truly love how Hawaiian Hall turned out. Beautiful!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

@Kaonohi Hawaiian Hall is AWESOME! I hope your hard work has been preserved.
        @MM - Marau siganisucu for Sunday! I wouldn't blame you for missing it! I don't even want to go to work on my bday even if I am scheduled to work. Haha!
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Sunday 2/13 is my 49th birthday and I'm not scheduled to work.
          But I'll try and make it to hear KiwiDiva sing!!! I'd like to.

And Kaonohi... I think you'll truly love how Hawaiian Hall turned out. Beautiful!
          Happy birthday, Menehune Man. I was there, Because of family issues I missed ALL the music, (sorry Kiwidiva), but I did get to see the Hawaiian Hall renovation.

Everything I did 30+ years ago is gone! But it was replaced with the most complete explanation of Hawaiian culture I have ever seen! Kudos to all who worked on this! It is awesome, and everybody who lives in Hawaii should see it at least once.

There were feather capes there that we were told "could never be exposed to viewing because they are so fragile," I know, I worked on them! Evidently they found new preservation methods, because there they are!

There's no estimate on how long they can keep them on display, even in low light, so SEE THEM WHILE YOU CAN!

The same goes for many other 200+ year-old artifacts. PLUS, they are not only displayed, they are explained - IN CONTEXT! You simply must see it. As soon as you can, I recomend, because you will be coming back again and again.

I discovered I was born on the moon of Kūkolu, in the month of Hinaia'ele'ele. ho would have known?
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I missed it, but had a great day with my wife and a couple of friends.

Kaonohi is right about some items in Hawaiian Hall that are on display.
            Delicate featherwork and other things will be 'rotated' out sometime soon I believe. Two of my favorites are the King Kamehameha (all yellow) cloak and the Liloa sash (which is the oldest piece of Hawaiian feather work in existence)

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Fa'afetai tele lava! We had a wonderful day @ Bishop Museum. I brought the kids from Le Fetuao Samoan Language School on stage to share a few songs and they thoroughly enjoyed it (the kids AND the crowd). As an added bonus we got to promote our school, I made some new friends and booked another gig in Waianae. Sorry you guys missed it but let's hope I get to do it again some time.

MM Our school is planning a field trip to Bishop Museum next term as there were many parents who hadn't been there for years and would like to go back. Most of the kids have been there with their schools but it was fun for them to take their parents around to look at the exhibits.

Comment

Working...
              X