Restaurants & Fast Foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Restaurants & Fast Foods

I went to Zippys the other day after been recommended the place as it was an Hawaiian business. We had the Chicken wings and Chilli. I must say I was quite disappointed. I really didn't think you could do Chilli wrong!

I have been a chef before and know that if you use fresh ingredients and don't leave things to sit in a pan all day you will generally be on to a winner.

I don't think I will be going back there again.
    It's all in the Shake'

Comment

Ooooh, did you just insult Zippys Chilli? Careful with that. People love their Zippys.

Truth be told, I've been living here four years, and at first I hated Zippys. And part of the love for the place, I think, is that people here grew up on it. Kids fundraise with Zippys chili. You go to a pot luck, someone always brings Zippys.

It's slowly growing on me.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Spray it with disinfectant, it'll subside.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by HulaShakes View Post
          I went to Zippys the other day after been recommended the place as it was an Hawaiian business. We had the Chicken wings and Chilli. I must say I was quite disappointed. I really didn't think you could do Chilli wrong!

I have been a chef before and know that if you use fresh ingredients and don't leave things to sit in a pan all day you will generally be on to a winner.

I don't think I will be going back there again.
          oh my - you've been on here less that a month, just 4 postings so far and you're already insulting a local well-loved institution! Really bad form as for the chili? they serve at least 3 different kinds - which one did you have?

Zippy's is a family style local restaurant, not gourmet. They specialize in local style, regular food. and of course, pastries. Zippy's is where folks go to eat quick or to eat slow with friends. Many people schedule their meetings there. Its frequented by everyone from former governors to attorneys to regular, every day people.

Did you know there are people on the mainland who actually crave Zippy's chili? thats why there are the Zip Packs and freezer packs.

I pity the fool who doesn't like Zippy's.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Shakes, you ain't the only one that won't be back now that they've priced everything beyond worth. Zippys is like sticky rice, it's good only because most parents couldn't cook rice right and so many grew up thinking it was great, especially the bottom scrape. But, they're open 24 hrs. and lots of dingbats are there in various stages of dress and reality.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Hulashakes, you've stirred up a hornet's nest. And that's a good thing! Maybe we should do a thread on Zippy's chili. Oh, wait! I seem to remember we did, a long time ago, right here--Zippy's Chili has mayo!

My own view of Zippy's chili: I think it's overrated. I used to like it, and in many ways I still do, but there are better chilis out there. I think Rainbow Drive-In chili is better. But I think the best are always home-made.

Comment

I think that HulaShakes gave his honest personal opinion on his take on Zippy's chili. Why would it be an insult and why would anyone be offended by it? Give him a break. I live on the Mainland, I've gone to the store and purchased it frozen to see what it's all about and truthfully, it's nothing to rave about. It's just a chili, no more-no less. I've lived in the MidWest and SouthWest ~ NOW you're talking chili!

Comment

that's right - it's just chili, no more/no less. but, nobody is trying to pass it off as anything spectacular. There are those who like it, those who don't. The ones who don't like it don't eat it. It's really simple. I personally really like a bowl of Zippy's chili (no beans version), rice and a nice piece of the buttered & fried cornbread. But, its a treat - not something I eat every day (or even every week). It's just regular ordinary food.

I prefer the chili that I cook at home.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    a nice piece of the buttered & fried cornbread.
                    Extra browned! That's my fave thing on the menu by far. The chili is generic, so not to offend anybody except those that know good chili.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
                      I've lived in the MidWest and SouthWest ~ NOW you're talking chili!
                      Agreed! Think HT needs to have a chili cook off contest. I'll judge!
                      Actually, I don't eat beef, so I've only had the vegetarian version of Zippy's. Didn't care for it. Need my chili SPICY please!

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-heal...153601753.html

Bring back the Hula Burger!

Comment

Working...
                        X