Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's a good place to park and watch planes takeoff/land at HNL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's a good place to park and watch planes takeoff/land at HNL?

I'm taking a friend on a date this Saturday night, and we're both airplane fanatics. I'm thinking of picking up our dinner, driving somewhere near the runways, and eating and chatting while planes takeoff and land near (overheard would be awesome) us.

Thanks in advance
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Where's a good place to park and watch planes takeoff/land at HNL?

There is a parking lot at the end of Lagoon Drive which is in between the reef runway and the runways by the terminals. I don't know what the view is like from there but the place does exist. There also signs on Lagoon Drive that say you can not park next to the end of runways where the planes approach.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      There is a parking lot at the end of Lagoon Drive which is in between the reef runway and the runways by the terminals. I don't know what the view is like from there but the place does exist. There also signs on Lagoon Drive that say you can not park next to the end of runways where the planes approach.
      Cool, thanks I have to check it out! It doesn't have to be at the very end of the runway, but close to it.

Just like how Ahukini Pier in Lihue is sorta at the end of the runway, but really like a half mile away from the end of the runway.

flickr

Comment

I remember going out there to the end of Lagoon Drive in the past. There are some good pictures to be had. However you have to shoot over or between the chain link fences. The last time I went which was a few years back, security chased people away who were "plane spotting". Never returned since.

The HNL Rare Birds blog has plenty of plane spotting photos but mostly taken from within the airport restricted zones, I suspect from many people who actually work there and have clearance... and have plenty of time during work to take decent pictures.

Other than the end of Lagoon Drive, there are some parking spaces almost near the end where the seaplane is... the view is not very good because you get the back end of all the general aviation and freight handling terminals/buildings, a distant view of the reef runway, which may do if you are not too crazy about taking good close up photos.

Maybe Keehi Lagoon park near the tennis court or where the rental cars are. You may get good take off shots (though I never tried) but somewhat distant. The last time I shot anything out at the Lagoon park was the USAF Thunderbirds which flew all over the place... but in most cases we're talking about planes that are on a set coming and going path.

My best plane shots came form Kaka'ako Waterfront Park on a Kona Wind day when there is not too much vog. Some of the big jets fly right over the park in their approach to the Diamond Head ends of the runways.

The key to good faraway plane shots is good weather, luck and a long, fast lens.

Below: Plane shots from Kakaako Waterfront Park, Canon 300D, 70 - 300 zoom lens. Feb. 17, 2008.

Qantas Boeing 767-338ER by macprohawaii, on Flickr

Hawaiian Airlines 767-300 ER by macprohawaii, on Flickr

Aloha Airlines 737-200 "Funbird" by macprohawaii, on Flickr
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          Just like how Ahukini Pier in Lihue is sorta at the end of the runway, but really like a half mile away from the end of the runway.
          A sort of a good place to catch planes coming and going to HNL is around the beach at Magic Island but its more of a daylight viewing area and you need to walk to the beach area. Added bonus is the ships and boats that are in the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            A sort of a good place to catch planes coming and going to HNL is around the beach at Magic Island but its more of a daylight viewing area and you need to walk to the beach area. Added bonus is the ships and boats that are in the distance.
            thanks a lot, I'll keep it in mind

flickr

Comment

Working...
            X