AntiVira Av

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AntiVira Av

Got another malware virus getting into my computer. This time it's something called AntiVira Av. It got past the Norton Internet Security 2011. Once a virus was in my computer. I keep getting another one.

Re: AntiVira Av

So if your Norton Internet Security couldn't stop this AntiVira Av virus from infecting your computer what clued you in that you are suffering from this AntiVira Av virus?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      So if your Norton Internet Security couldn't stop this AntiVira Av virus from infecting your computer what clued you in that you are suffering from this AntiVira Av virus?
      The site to purchase AntiVira Av keeps popping up If I want to eliminate those fake warnings.

Comment

Three things
        1) Don't purchase anything from the site that says that it can remove AntiVira Av
        2) Check your Norton Internet Security software and find out when is the last time it has updated its knowledge of viruses. Don't take the altitude that "its done automatically" you need to know that process is still working.
        3) If you can, please use another computer to check the Norton web site and find out what it knows about AntiVira Av and what steps you need to do to remove it.

Comment

Also check Avast! Antivirus. It's not only free, it's an awesome AV software!
          Since I have used it, have not had another virus.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

clickpotato just got the boot out of my laptop yesterday, I hope...
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I downloaded a free StopZilla from their website the last time I got a malware. It worked. But, my computer was running slow. So, I removed it. I downloaded Stopzilla again for this malware. The malware bubble of AntiVira Av doesn't keep popping up, but my computer is running slower.

Comment

Friend's computer got hit with Antivira Av as well.

I googled it. Nothing to back this up, but some said it spreads through hacked Groupon website code that trick you into clicking a download, which is interesting because friend said he clicked on Groupon ad on Star Advertiser's website. Others google results said it spreads through downloaded divx codecs or software containing such codecs (media playing software).

Was able to disable Antivira maleware by booting into safe mode and rolling computer back to a past restore point, then clicking Start > Run > %temp% > look for a folder named random letters or numbers created about the time you noticed infection, then look inside that folder for filename "abcxyzSIKA.EXE" where abcxyz is random letters. Delete it.

Then get Malwarebytes and it will eliminate the remaining traces of Antivira from registry.
                Last edited by mapen; February 23, 2011, 12:40 AM.

Comment

if it's replicating in the temp folder, you may need to find it in the Windows/System32/prefetch folder for it's origin. The Prefetch folder will reinstall whatever's in there on boot up. The Temp folder is a simple holding area that get's cleaned out as new information pops in.

One area you can check is the startup file in your System Tray. Start/Run/msconfig/Start Up then scroll down until you see that same kind of .exe file mapen indicated. Uncheck it, reboot and see if it comes back. When you reboot you will get a message telling you that changes were made, click the box that makes that dialog disappear on future boot ups.

One sure fire way to see if it's in the System Tray is to boot up in safe mode (just before you see the Windows Splash Screen, repeatedly hit the delete key until you see a prompt asking you if you want to boot up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, normal mode, etc. Choose Safe Mode and continue booting up to Windows. You will see some funky text scrolling on a black background, don't worry it's part of the safe mode boot up.

Booting up in Safe Mode is also the Geek's Backdoor into your system if your account is password protected, unless you password protect the Administrator Account, which only becomes visible upon Safe Mode bootup.

When booting up this way, you may not load your graphics, audio, network, printer, IM or other drivers. It will be quiet and have somewhat larger, less than stellar graphics on your screen, however you should be able to navigate around your desktop. If the popup doesn't come on, the .exe application is in your System Tray because in safe mode it didn't launch.

If this is the case do the Start/Run/msconfig route as I described and unclick the offending application.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                    Friend's computer got hit with Antivira Av as well.

I googled it. Nothing to back this up, but some said it spreads through hacked Groupon website code that trick you into clicking a download, which is interesting because friend said he clicked on Groupon ad on Star Advertiser's website.
                    There might be something to this and not anecdotal. I downloaded Groupon on the Star Advertiser's website too. I've been getting Groupon ads on my e-mail daily. I haven't use any on them so far.

Comment

I checked out groupon based on the buzz about the lame superbowl ad and saw some more ads on tv. also saw the ad on the SA website. so i clicked thru from there. there was a small article about them in Time magazine so my curiousity got the better of me... found out they have no coupons for the big island only oahu. I too have now been getting daily emails touting oahu coupons...nothing of note there but i am also getting tons of spam. I have never had much spam in the past... i suppose the fine print in the TOS explains that you will now be spammed to death and the spam i get is the shady kind with poor grammar and clones of legitimate websites... i clicked on one early on to unsubscribe and got a frozen screen. and had to reboot. i now ignore them....outlook spam settings catches most of them from coming thru to my real inbox but there are a lot of them.
                      SA should be made aware of the decietful practices of this business model of groupon and i bet if they dont change this they will be history.
                      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Working...
                      X