Could my apartment be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: could my apt be illegal?

At least she and her family can't bother you and you get to keep your cute little apartment (for now anyway). Though I was supposed to be there right now helping you pack and and apartment hunting with you. Hmmph. Boys.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

• Re: Could my apartment be illegal?

don't expect your security deposit back when all this is done. They'll use that same old lame excuse that the place was messy and they had to use the money as noted. This is why taking pictures of the place before you occupy it is necessary and to have them acknowledge the condition of the place before you sign any rental agreement.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Susie-that made me laugh!
        SG-just buy a ticket already! Sure, your husband will be mad, but he'll have 3 weeks to get over it
        Craig-thats some really good advice. Next apt I'll be sure to take pictures and keep better records.

Im starting to wonder if she's selling the place. Theres been a lot of fixing stuff on the front house lately, and yesterday it sounded like lots of heavy furniture was being moved. Hmmm.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          [...]
          Craig-thats some really good advice. Next apt I'll be sure to take pictures and keep better records.

Im starting to wonder if she's selling the place. Theres been a lot of fixing stuff on the front house lately, and yesterday it sounded like lots of heavy furniture was being moved. Hmmm.
          Even if the LL sells she still has to give you proper notice. And, I'll add to what Craig mentioned: Take photos immediately after you move out and have cleaned. I have a friend who separated from her husband. The husband moved out first. Then, she found another place and moved out of the marital home. She cleaned really well; even had the sofa and carpet cleaned (way too nice!) so as not to become the victim of any additional flack when the husband moved back in. I mentioned to her to keep all receipts and take photos, which she did. The divorce was contested and went to court where the hubby accused my friend of trashing the house and talked about the work he had to put into cleaning it up. Dumb move on his part! My friend had put all the "evidence" together in a photo album and took it to court. When the accusation was made, she was prepared. The hubby had no back-up. The judge went thru the album page by page! Be prepared, TG! Better to have it and not need it!

Comment

Aloha all!!
            Today & tomorrow are moving day!! Im looking forward to my new place, its closer to the beach and Kailuatown! Smaller, cheaper, but it has a lovely backyard and a washing machine!
            Ps- I totally kicked my ll's sassafrass in court!

Comment

Aloha all!!
              Hallelujah for JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Great news, on all counts! (And you must be psychic, as I was thinking about you just yesterday.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]
                  Yay! How so? DETAILS!!!

Comment

Details? I won by always telling the truth, never backing down or allowing myself to be bullied, and doing my research. I filed the proper papers for my maaany court appearances, at which i was always well dressed & prepared. After I got fed up with litigation, I offered a settlement deal to her lawyers, & it was agreed upon. Cost me nothing but time & gas.

Comment

Details? I won by always telling the truth, never backing down or allowing myself to be bullied, and doing my research. I filed the proper papers for my maaany court appearances, at which i was always well dressed & prepared. After I got fed up with litigation, I offered a settlement deal to her lawyers, & it was agreed upon. Cost me nothing but time & gas.
                      Congratulations to you! Truth prevails! Good luck in your new place! I'm happy for you! 'Leash

Comment

MY NEW PLACE SUCKS!! OMG, where do I even start!? Im renting a room in a house. The new landlord is SO abusive -yells at me, insults me, calls me names- that I hardly even want to leave my bed, much less my room! There is a big pitbull across the street that they allow over unattended, which jumps on me. Theres the paranoid schizophrenic living upstairs that spends his every other evening screaming obscenities from the porch.

And these are just the tip of the iceberg. WTH!?!

Comment

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I assume your landlord wasn't like this before you gave him first month's rent + deposit? Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you can find a better place soon.

On a side note, is there a place you can check, to see if there are any complaints against a landlord? A Better Business Bureau for landlords?
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Complaints? About a guy & his schizo brother illegally renting rooms and building unpermitted, screw the codes, particle- board- with- drywall- on - the -inside- shacks on the property? Sheesh!! I knew the guy was a curmudgeon when I moved in. No forwarnings for what Im dealing with now!! I probably wouldnt care that much , except ll has serious anger management and communication issues. That he loves to take out on me. I Hate This Place.

Comment

Complaints? About a guy & his schizo brother illegally renting rooms and building unpermitted, screw the codes, particle- board- with- drywall- on - the -inside- shacks on the property? Sheesh!!
                              I'm confused. Why the sarcasm toward MJ for asking a legitimate question that he doesn't know the answer to...that is, "On a side note, is there a place you can check, to see if there are any complaints against a landlord? A Better Business Bureau for landlords?"?
                              I knew the guy was a curmudgeon when I moved in. No forwarnings for what Im dealing with now!! I probably wouldnt care that much , except ll has serious anger management and communication issues. That he loves to take out on me.
                              This sounds a bit like your previous LL and illegal rental. At some point, TG, it'll come time to ask yourself why you're attracting these types of people and situations in your life.
                              I Hate This Place.
                              You're the only one who can change your living situation. I sincerely hope you can find something more amenable.

Comment

Complaints? About a guy & his schizo brother illegally renting rooms and building unpermitted, screw the codes, particle- board- with- drywall- on - the -inside- shacks on the property?
                                After all the problems you had with previous LL, I'm surprised you didn't steer clear of any rental property with building code violations and any other irregularities.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X