Could my apartment be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: could my apt be illegal?

If the police are writing reports when they come out, make sure you get the report numbers.
    And hopefully you've been keeping a detailed log of every situation -- dates, times, names, photos when possible, etc.
    Monday, take all that information and go in and get a restraining order. That's not a suggestion, it's mandatory that you do that to protect yourself and your property!
    You should also find someone to stay with you for a while, as it's a huge help for your case if you have a witness or two.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

TG...did you tell the police that LL wants you out and you've not received the 45 day written notice per the landlord/tenant code?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        You should also find someone to stay with you for a while, as it's a huge help for your case if you have a witness or two.
        Or conversely, stay at a friend's place temporarily until you're able to find a permanent living arrangement. If you actually feel threatened by the LL and members of her family, it'll be safer for everyone that way.

Sure, it's a lot to ask of a friend to take you in until you're able to find a place of your own. But asking a friend to play the part of roommate/bodyguard in a hostile situation is probably a greater imposition.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 13, 2011, 05:05 AM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

You make a good point, Frankie. The only problem is that if TG is offsite, the LL and her bad boys may cause things to happen to TG's belongings. If she goes to stay with a friend, anything and everything of value should be removed and put into storage.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            If she goes to stay with a friend, anything and everything of value should be removed and put into storage.
            From there, it's only one small step to "moving out" altogether - which it what it is time for TG to do, sadly. The opportunity to do it on her terms appears to have passed - now it's time to just get out from under that nutbar of a LL.

Comment

you sound young and idealistic.

the smart thing to do here is to move out. why put yourself through the grief? hawaii is also a small place, if you intend to stay, keep that in mind.

yes you may be right by the law but the advice I always give people when dealing with relationships is:

"you rather be right or you rather be happy?"

this might apply to you too.

Comment

TG, if worst comes to worst, and you need a yard to crash in, a tent- you got us.
                We actually have an acre, but only the yards neAar the house are suitable for camping. We can loan a tent, if necessary.
                Bettyer than being on the street, and we have a garage (carport) where you can store your goods.
                Hopefully you will find a new home before that, but id you need a place to crash let me know, and we won't turn you away. OK?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughtful advice and kind recommendations! Here's the update - SHE SERVED ME WITH A TRO!!!

Yep, she's claiming that I yell at her through the walls, and that she's scared of me! Fer chrissakes, now I have to attend a TRO hearing this week against an 84 year old crazy lady!! Unfair - old ladies always get way more sympathy than 30somethings ever could! On the bright side, she has left me alone for a few days, and that's brought me so much peace, it feels so fabulous to know that we have to stay away from each other!! I love it! Only downside, imo, is if she gets crazy cantankerous towards me, she could call the cops to lie, ahem, report 'violations' on the tro, and I'm not sure what remedies are possible for me in that situation.

Regardless, I've got my chin up, a reasonable sense of humor about the situation, an intelligent attorney, and a keen eye on craigslist for a new place.
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    check zoning ordinances. If your area is cleared for ohana zoning then your garage studio is legal, however if your area is zoned as single-family, then it ain't
                    Aha!! I also discovered that it is zoned for single family, not ohana!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      [...]Here's the update - SHE SERVED ME WITH A TRO!!!

Yep, she's claiming that I yell at her through the walls, and that she's scared of me! Fer chrissakes, now I have to attend a TRO hearing this week against an 84 year old crazy lady!![...]
                      Hopefully you've been keeping a journal, or at least notes, with dates and times of incidents. I wonder if printing out this HT thread would help or hurt. I could be wrong but I think what you have in your favor is that you were never sent an eviction notice. And, that LL has been renting illegally...which you just found out. And, yes, LL will continue to lie. Lying is always the most difficult issue to deal with, imnsho. Good luck, TG.

Comment

So, you now are knowingly living in a illegal unit, you have been served with a TRO, but still have not just bit the bullet and moved? Honey, you are playing with fire and don't even know it.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Fire, Amati? Really? Sounds like you haven't had the 'luxury' of being a renter in a looong time. Imo, laws are laws and rules are rules, and if I have to abide by them, well so do others! Why should I cave in to bullying? Bite the bullet?That wont do anybody any good! If you really want to know why I'm so passionate about LL/tenant stuff, feel free to PM me.

The building inspector just left, and LL will be served with notice to convert this apartment back to what the permits pulled say it should be. Fine. Rules. Sure, I'm still getting evicted, but at least she won't be renting this space illegally anymore after Im gone.

I hate liars, her lies are catching up with LL, and it serves her right.

Comment

We all choose our battles, and for whatever reasons, this is one TG has chosen to fight. We all just hope you get out of a bad situation soon and into one that is much better for you - "home" should not be so stressful and dramatic; it should be a sanctuary for you.

Comment

[...]
                              The building inspector just left, and LL will be served with notice to convert this apartment back to what the permits pulled say it should be. Fine. Rules. Sure, I'm still getting evicted, but at least she won't be renting this space illegally anymore after Im gone.
                              My guess is she will as she obviously doesn't play by the rules whether she knows them or not. She already has new "tenants" lined up. Possibly she'll be a bit more careful in the future but I doubt it. She seems to have friends or family advising her and the advice seems to stink! Have you received an eviction notice yet? Your story is just so sad because the LL/tenant relationship started out as such an amicable situation.
                              I hate liars, her lies are catching up with LL, and it serves her right.
                              Karma rocks!

Comment

The building inspector just left, and LL will be served with notice to convert this apartment back to what the permits pulled say it should be.
                                TG, they're going to know for sure that you were the person who called the building inspector on them (whether or not it really was you), so given all the evil behavior they've shown you recently it's safe to bet that evil behavior will increase drastically. Your situation has just gotten much much worse, and you need to get out of there NOW.
                                If they already know the inspector was there, you're in danger right now. If they won't know until they receive the notice, you have a day or two to get out and stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X