Well Hello There!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Hello There!

My name is Christopher and Hawaii is my 10 year goal. Although I believe it to be sooner than that, finances tell all when making such a move. My wife and I love the island life and got married on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. We were initially planning on moving there; but because of such high crime statistics as of late (66 murders last year alone...number 2 per capita in the WORLD!), we decided to stay within the 50 states. We have no kids and plan to live our lives there when we finally get there. We are moving to Florida in August from Upstate NY to escape the cold and begin saving for our dream. The purpose of me joining these forums is to gain as much knowledge as possible before moving; and to get an idea of which island we would like to live on. I will begin reading every single post on this site. If anyone has any suggestions I would be all ears. Thank you for letting me participate and I hope to learn a lot.

Re: Well Hello There!

I got the message to come to Hawai`i in a vision back in 1971. I moved to O`ahu because I knew nothing, Got a job at the B.P. Bishop museum because I am an Anthropologist, became Asst. Curator of Ethnology, but couldn't live on the salary so I took up lecturing at community colleges.

Of all the islands, I love Kaua`i the best. My heart sings there and the tropicbirds circle my space when I meditate.

Big Island is deep, raw, Hawai`i.
    Maui is California Hawai`i (including space cases).
    O`ahu is a mini LA of the Pacific, unless you get out of town: windwards, North Shore or Waianae.
    Molokai is old Hawai`i - REAL old!
    Lanai -- I don't know - plantation town.

Kauai still has the spirit of Hawai`i, and is the best place to be, if you can figure out how to make it there.

Best of luck!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

It's ALL good!
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

LOL! I am sure it is all good...but of course there are preferences. My wife needs to be decently close to a wal mart for bulk cheaper items, I need to be decently close to some golf courses that dont cost my whole wallet to play a round. Beaches are important but not hard to find in Hawaii. Things like that. We are still very open, but for now we are thinking Maui North Shore or Honolulu area. We will be making a two week visit sometime soon to check out as much as we can as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherOlsen1 View Post
          My wife needs to be decently close to a wal mart for bulk cheaper items, I need to be decently close to some golf courses that dont cost my whole wallet to play a round.
          Folks, our new friend clearly wants the real Hawaiian Island life experience, so offer your helpful suggestions accordingly.

Comment

Salt Lake?

Comment

Sarcasm? I love to golf and Hawaii is a great place to do it. And other than toiletries, we will be supporting the local economy as much as possible. So I think you got the wrong idea from my introduction. When I say decently close, I mean within 20 minutes.

Comment

... we will be supporting the local economy as much as possible.
                Shopping at Wal-Mart damages "local economies" anywhere they are located. But I fear I am taking this discussion in the wrong direction; let me instead give you some credit and assume that, once you've done your research and made your move, you will likely make wiser choices.

And there's plenty of great golfing opportunities on O`ahu, though I don't know the other Islands as well.

Comment

Well I am not offended if you arent. What I basically meant was... this is something we are used to, being from upstate NY. I cant get 48 toilet paper rolls from just anywhere. Items like that is all I meant. We are rebeginning our lives when we get there. That means learning about what is available and where to get everyday items from. That is why I joined this site, to learn. I just dont want to be greeted with hostility just because I got my first few items from Wal Mart. Even in upstate NY I use the local shops whenever I can. So please have faith. Thats all. I hope to meet great new people and find out where they shop. Does this make sense?

Comment

So please have faith. Thats all. I hope to meet great new people and find out where they shop. Does this make sense?
                    Indeed it does, and I will have faith. The great people you want to hear from are here on HT, and they will be very helpful - and they will not all start out on the wrong foot, as I have.

Comment

Spend six or twelve months visiting all the possible places before you decide...there's worlds of difference between lifestyles in different places in Hawaii.

Comment

[...]I cant get 48 toilet paper rolls from just anywhere. Items like that is all I meant.[...]
                        Knowing nothing about your finances and how you plan to earn a living in Hawaii, I should probably just leave this alone. However, this caught my attention because the cost of living in Hawaii being what it is (esp. real estate; rent or own), often causes new residents to have to scale way back on square footage. Seriously, that could pose a storage problem for you as it does for so many including myself.

Generally speaking, many single family homes have only carports; some, just single carports. They're not secure. The 'burbs with their planned communities will have garages.

Condo buildings may or may not have storage lockers. Those that do can easily have, as in my case, a 5 year wait list.

On Oahu, unless you live on the North Shore, you should find a Wal-Mart, Costco or Target within 20 minutes driving time. But, don't discount the North Shore because of that. It's a beautiful drive to a big box store!

I hope you'll rethink your parameters and not let driving time to a big box store dictate where you live. Island driving is limited! OTOH, I'd advise the opposite when it comes to a workplace commute!

Comment

Well hello back. Where in upstate NY are you? I'm transplanted to upstate myself. Are you from there originally? One thing I can't get used to is being land-locked. Freaks me out a bit still. But then, as soon as it's warm enough to leave the house (for the rest of you reading this, that's around June), I'm in Hawaii. I live in Kihei (south side of Maui) when I'm there. I go back and forth so much, sometimes I forget where I am

I'd be glad to give you any info you might want as far as Maui goes.

Comment

I envy those of you there that live in the ai'na. But then again my memories are of how is was back then. Born and raised there but left after high school 40+ yrs. ago. I haven't had the opportunities like most to go back and visit. I can count on one hand. The ohana are still there so of course, my ties are there although yes, I can't make it back there even for a vacation. Even now, and for so much of us that have left and established here on the Mainland, the bottom-line is we can not afford to go back home. Really. It is our dream also but it is the reality. Lucky you live Hawaii!!

Comment

If our new friend is a 'prepper', he might like to live near Hilo in the Fern Forest area...a bit more driving, but but more understanding neighbors and more private space...

Comment

Working...
                              X