Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think Hawaii will be like 10 years from now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think Hawaii will be like 10 years from now?

Pick any island/subject you wish to talk about.

Re: What do you think Hawaii will be like 10 years from now?

I think there will be restricted flights in, maybe even Martial Law, due to natural and/or civil problematic events in the madland that will make the term 'lucky you live Hawaii' the grandest understatement ever. But we better get highly self-sustaining if we want it to be true.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

O`ahu:
      H-1 will become the world's longest parking lot.
      Subsequently cars will be outlawed except for dwelling purposes.
      The upscale addresses will be curbside green borders (as is currently below Ala Moana Blvd. at Ward - Ilalo St.).
      The State will impose a ban on 'illegal Mainland immigrants.'
      The Hawaii Rail system will be full of live-in tenants, allowing no commuters.

Maui:
      The State Government will move to Maui.

Kauai:
      Offshore barbed wire and revetments will be installed to keep out immigrants.

Big Island:
      Auntie Pele is tapping her foot, waiting...

(Only kidding )
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

More people. More traffic. Lower standard of living.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

unfinished rail project.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            H-1 will become the world's longest parking lot.
            Subsequently cars will be outlawed except for dwelling purposes ...
            The Hawaii Rail system will be full of live-in tenants, allowing no commuters.
            Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
            unfinished rail project.
            Some pretty fair predictions here. I think Kaonohi may be overly optimistic about Honolulu Rail Transit. To hear Mel or Ron Whitfield tell it, it’s a doom-and-gloom boondoggle.

I think escondido100 has it right. Rail will commence construction, and sustain a serious challenge from native Hawaiian activists over ‘iwi. Ultimately, the Tea Party-controlled U.S. Congress will fail to provide the $1.5 billion, Carlisle will fail to be re-elected, and the next mayor will end the project after the first (six-mile) phase.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
              More people. More traffic. Lower standard of living.
              But yet still higher prices.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                But yet still higher prices.
                OHMIGOD! A psychic!
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  OHMIGOD! A psychic!
                  I knew you'd say that

Comment

I visited Hawaii for the first time in the mid-sixties. I "lived" on Mololkai and visited Oahu frequently. I have been back to Hawaii several times since then. Some things have chaged a lot and some things not at all. Even back in the 60's H1 was jammed. It was still that frustrating maze to get from H1 to Waikiki by auto. Ala Moana Mall (where I purchased my tropical suit at JC Penney to make myself presentable to the King of Tonga) has changed little since then. Ala Wai was a "high class" marina. There is more of everything now, for better or worse.

I expect that we will see (well maybe not matapule) similar progress - a mixed bag - in the next 45 years, ojala (great god Maui willing).
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The people of Hawaii will embrace education and encourage their children to excel academically.

Everyone will embrace the motto "Let's do it the RIGHT way, not the way we've always done it".

High density, taller living environments on the outer islands will help to preserve precious ag land and open spaces while reducing the need for autos.

Tourists will stop breaking Steinlager bottles at the beach.

Nobody will drop their ciggy butts on the ground.

Government will reduce overbearing beauracracy and encourage business growth.

Monk seals and Leatherback turtles will hold flippers and sing Kumbayah on all the beaches of Hawaii.

The love of your life will appear thinner, younger, and more beautiful.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

On a positive note:

The increase cost of commodities will lead more people to discover the sheer fun and satisfaction of growing their own food. They'll benefit psychologically and physically while caring for their garden. People will appreciate the agricultural wisdom of the ancient Hawaiians and combine it with the wisdom from cultures around the world.

Financial turmoil will lead more people will recognize credit card debt as the cancer that it is. They will work hard to free themselves from that financial slavery. They will discover how much calmer the financial seas are when they are debt free.

The growing ineffectiveness of government will lead people to become more self-reliant. They will depend less on government and more on their neighbors.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

More and more locals will realized they can't make it in Hawaii.

Honolulu Advertiser did a story call the Brain Drain back in 1997. Over the years, I can see more and more locals living on the mainland.

Good that I have company, but sad that they left (like me). And the next generation, some of them Hawaiian blood kids, have no connection to the aina. Hawaii to them is a place where people go for vacation.

Hawaii will become an island of foreigners and strangers. The rich will stay rich, and the poor and stay poor. Those who are stuck in the middle will have had enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            Carlisle will fail to be re-elected, and the next mayor will end the project after the first (six-mile) phase.
                            NOOOOOOO!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE MAYOR CARLISLE! He's the best guy that ever happened to Hawaii since Ive been here!!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              I think escondido100 has it right. Rail will commence construction, and sustain a serious challenge from native Hawaiian activists over ‘iwi. Ultimately, the Tea Party-controlled U.S. Congress will fail to provide the $1.5 billion, Carlisle will fail to be re-elected, and the next mayor will end the project after the first (six-mile) phase.
                              This pronouncement, folks. From HT's most ardent supporter of Mr. Rail, Mufi Hannemann.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X