Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Somali Pirates: What to do?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    That is already being done by private yachts in that area. But what are 6 private yachts armed with maybe a rifle each going to do with one fast pirate ship with 20 guys armed with Uzis? Like in the the law of the jungle, the pirate ship will pick off the slowest and weakest in the convoy and ignore the others.
    Indeed, the Chinese Navy has been doing that for the last two years now as an example. They run convoys with two military ships to a group of maybe 12 or more merchant ships that transit through known pirate areas.

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    Is there some international law against firearms on ocean vessels? Is it because ships will cross into foreign territorial waters sooner or later?
    Don't believe so but many commercial shipping firms oppose making their crews take arms, liability I presume. And they don't want to pony up the cost to have armed guards riding on each vessel sailing. I can only presume private yachts doing this would be even far costlier.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      The two murdered owners of that yacht, Scott and Jean Adam, were old friends of mine.
      I'm sorry for your loss, LikaNui

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      And if there was, who would enforce it?
      True.

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Don't believe so but many commercial shipping firms oppose making their crews take arms, liability I presume.
      Liability concerns make sense.

Did some poking around with Google and it looks like there's no international law and you're probably OK in international waters, but it seems whenever you enter territorial waters or ports, you're subject to foreign laws. That's probably the hassle the corporations don't want to deal with.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

If it weren't for the 600 or so hostages being held for ransome I'm sure every nation involved would seek some force of action. But because they are being held and their lives are at risk, most will not go to that extent of open season on pirates.

Otherwise, yeah blast them out of the water! Assholes!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          Is there some international law against firearms on ocean vessels? Is it because ships will cross into foreign territorial waters sooner or later?
          Right. High seas/international waters is essentially a free-for-all, with the exception of major crimes. The reason why merchant ships can't arm themselves is because a majority of the ports or territorial seas that they transit to or through do not authorize weapons in their waters. If the country authorizes it, sometimes their port regulations don't.

Apparently the value of shipping far exceeds the risk involved in transiting unarmed through pirate infested waters.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            If it weren't for the 600 or so hostages being held for ransome I'm sure every nation involved would seek some force of action. But because they are being held and their lives are at risk, most will not go to that extent of open season on pirates.

Otherwise, yeah blast them out of the water! Assholes!
            Apparently America is a little delinquent in the use of the navy. Admiral Roughead had an interview saying he's refraining from using naval forces to attack pirates openly because it's more of a "law enforcement tactic" vice a military tactic. But the option is there if they witness pirates "in the act" of piracy.

Of course, Congress's whole purpose for re-instating a navy was because of piracy. Refer to the reference: "US Constitution" in Article I Section 8 Paragraph 10:
            "(Congress shall have the power to...) define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;"

If he, as the CNO of the Navy really and truly was supporting and defending the Constitution per oath, that sentence would have some value when confronting pirates in the Indian Ocean. But unfortunately, too much political crap is involved, which serves to weaken forces capable of dealing with pirates, and thereby allowing piracy to continue virtually unhindered.

Seems interesting the concept of arming people is so well-supported in this forum, yet adamant opposed in the other. *smirk*

Comment

OK, let's see....

BRAND all captured pirates with the letter "P" on their forearms.
              Inform Davey Jones of all transgressions against piratical law, oops, now it's Will whateverhisnameis, Captain of the Flying Dutchman....

Wait one... wrong thread, wrong subdivision... let's try again:
              Those nations who suffer from piratical incursions most should band together and mobilize a task force to decimate all pirate vessels and their crew, by means most efficient. Who would argue?

Recover hostages with promises of payment, pay in either artificial or replaceable scrip (marked numbers, the Fed. Resrv. can replace), then blow them under the waves.

Yes, I know this would threaten future hostages, if any pirates are left. So... this is war.

If you pay in gold, sink them in shallow water.

Tolerate NO pirates, the cost will only increase. If you must pay in lives, do so early.

Addendum:
              Arm ALL vessels in international waters with 40mm cannons, capable of firing solid, explosive or phosphorus rounds. Educate captains of their proper use, and appropriate situations for usage. Provide secure storage when such vessels are in secure ports that disallow such protective measures.

From Kaonohi, who has been there, done that, and won (but not without life-changing injuries).
              Never give up. Never surrender. Alive, your life is at stake! Dead, you are useless.

K=Life
              Last edited by Kaonohi; March 8, 2011, 01:14 PM. Reason: Do you not understand the term, "WAR?"
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Apparently there is a Russian youtube/livejournal video (in Russian, of course) that shows Russian commandos rescuing a crew on a tanker, then storming the pirate mothership. The pirates are all taken captive and handcuffed to their mothership as the commandos discover several dozen AK-47s, pistols and RPGs.

The only audible thing you can understand is the Russian commando yelling at one of the pirates: "You lied! This is NOT a fishing boat!"

Then at about minute 5:00 of the video, it pans out from the Russian warship and focuses on the mothership. Not too long after that, the mothership explodes.

Comment

hopefully with the pirates still handcuffed aboard.

Comment

Had hesitated, but now craigwatanabe has opened the door. I was gonna say: 'Nuke 'em.'

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      hopefully with the pirates still handcuffed aboard.
                      This is the circulating email going around. I found it entertaining, but take it for what it's worth.

RUSSIAN NAVY CAPTURES SOMALIAN PIRATES

http://true-turtle.livejournal.com/85315.html

This videotape shows Russian Navy commandos on a Somalian pirate ship shortly after the pirates had captured a Russian oil tanker. The Euro Union navy that patrols these waters would not interfere because they feared there could be casualties.
                      All explanations are in Russian with a single exception of when a wounded pirate says something in English and the Russian soldier says "This is not a fishing boat." All conversations between the commandos are in Russian. If you don't understand Russian, the pictures speak for themselves.
                      The soldiers freed their compatriots and the tanker. The Russian Navy Commandos moved the pirates back to their own (pirate ) ship, searched the pirate ship for weapons and explosives, and then they left the ship and exploded it with all remaining pirates
                      hand-cuffed to it.
                      The commandos sank the pirate ship along with the pirates and without any court proceedings, lawyers etc.That is, they used the anti-piracy laws of the 18th and 19th centuries where the captain of the rescuing ship has the right to decide what to do with the pirates. Usually, they were hung.

I would think from now on, Russian ships will not be targets for Somalian pirates after they watch this video!!!!

Comment

IT'S ABOUT TIME !!!!!!!

Too bad the the good ol' USA no longer has the sack to attack piracy.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                          Had hesitated, but now craigwatanabe has opened the door. I was gonna say: 'Nuke 'em.'
                          That was last night, but:

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Since two of my friends were killed, it's pretty easy to imagine what I think. At the moment, nuking Somalia off the face of the earth seems reasonable to me.
                          I wrote that in post #9, on March 1.
                          Just pointing that out. But no matter. Nuke 'em!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

yeah lets get out of Afghanistan and start honing our targetting skills on Somali Pirate vessels.

Comment

Working...
                            X