Okinawan Sweet Potato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okinawan Sweet Potato

I recently bought some on sale at Foodland. After I cooked them, they were pale, like lavendar colored and not very tasty. I usually see them deep purple colored, sweet and flavorful when cooked.

Did I buy a different variety, or were they not sufficiently ripe? How can I tell the difference in the market? They both look the same.

Thanks!

Re: Okinawan Sweet Potato

There's a much sweeter red skin/white meat tater that is common.

Grilled Hawaiian Sweet Potatoes

12 med. sweet potatoes
    1/4 c brown sugar
    1 T cinnamon
    16 oz pineapple juice

Bake potatoes in oven at 450 degrees until fork tender. Cut into wedges and sprinkle with cinnamon/brown sugar. Place on grill until sugar carmelizes. Brush with pineapple glaze.

Pineapple glaze: Pour pineapple juice into 2 qt pot, bring to boil. reduce heat, simmer until reduced by 50%.

~~~~~~~~~

Sweet potato casserole: faux Hawaiian

2 c mashed sweet potatoes
    1 c sugar
    1 c milk
    1 egg
    1 t salt
    1 c grated coconut
    1 t vanilla

Blend first 5 ingredients until smooth. Add coconut and vanilla. Pour in baking dish, bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and add topping. 1-10 oz jar maraschino cherries with juice, 1 c sugar, 3 T flour, dash salt. Mix in saucepan. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Spread on top of casserole, serve

~~~~~~~~

Sweet potato casserole: faux Hawaiian 2

3 c mashed sweet potatoes
    2 eggs
    1/3 c butter
    1/2 c milk
    1 c sugar
    1/2 t salt
    1 t vanilla
    1 - 8 1/2 oz can crushed pineapple
    1/4 t nutmeg
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1 c brown sugar
    1/3 c flour
    1/2 c butter
    1 c ground pecans

Mash sweet potatoes with mixer. Add eggs, butter, milk, sugar, salt, vanilla, pineapple, spices. Turn into a greased casserole dish. In a pan, place brown sugar, flour, butter, pecans. Heat on low until butter melts, stirring constantly. Spread over sweet potato mixture, top with thin slices of banana. Bake at 350° 30 minutes.
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 3, 2011, 08:53 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Yummie recipes, Ron, altho' too much sugar for my taste. And those have exactly what to do with Sharilyn's question? Just curious!

Comment

OK, I found an answer. The ones with deep purple flesh has a red skin. They still look alike to me, tho... I may need to ask the grocer next time, if I want to be sure. If I'm making a dessert, I'll for sure want the deep purple ones!

A variety of sweet potato that has light colored skin and lavender flesh and is of Japanese and Chinese origin.
        The Okinawan sweet potato is often confused with another sweet potato that has red skin and a deep purple flesh, which is grown on Molokai. The Okinawan is also often mistaken for the Filipino purple yam, ube, which actually has a closer resemblance to the sweet potato grown on Molokai that has deep purple flesh.

Comment

Is there a forum for local Hawaii cooking? I've got another question about something else. I used to see one at the Delphiforums, but can't find it anymore. Thanks!

Comment

I think I found it...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/KauKauKitchen

Comment

Working...
            X