IBEW on Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IBEW on Strike

I can only speak for the sides of the triangle in which I participate, customer and investor. Management and managed are one and the same from my perspective and as a business unit are failing to provide competitive rates and competitive rates of return. Increased cost efficiency is the 'side' for which I'm 'rooting'.
    Last edited by salmoned; March 9, 2011, 11:28 AM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      I can only speak for the sides of the triangle in which I participate, customer and investor. Management and managed are one and the same from my perspective and as a business unit are failing to provide competitive rates and competitive rates of return. Increased cost efficiency is the 'side' for which I'm 'rooting'.
      Why should basic public services be subject to profits for an investor's business monopoly? I don't see the difference with an investor trying to milk as much out of the situation as the union trying to do the same. I condone neither.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Let's hope 3am doesn't bring a wave of karma for HECO (both management and workers).
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Matapule, why indeed? Let the government run all basic utilities, then the only investors required would be tax payers. Of course, we could expect to pay much higher rates and/or much higher taxes.

I can't account for your failure to understand why investors are AS important as employees and customers, nor am I prepared to enlighten you here concerning that matter. As for 'milking the situation,' no increase in dividends for 13 years simply does not qualify. So, if you can't see the difference, you just can't see.
          Last edited by salmoned; March 10, 2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I can't account for your failure to understand why investors are AS important as employees and customers, nor am I prepared to enlighten you here concerning that matter..
            Thanks, that makes it crystal clear.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              the idea of using the Rosenblum's absence ... as a justification to go on strike isn't something that the public is buying.
              If you didn’t live in Ewa, who cared? I certainly didn’t. And from the tone of this thread, most HT’rs didn’t. The most important thing that matters is that logically, it makes sense. The IBEW struck when it mattered most and reaped the benefits of a quickly settled strike instead of long, contract-less waiting that HECO management had subjected essential blue-collar workers to in the previous months. From that perspective, I think the outcome proves the union made the correct decision.

HECO’s unionized workers ratify new contract

Hawaiian Electric Co.’s unionized employees ratified a new contract today, ending a strike that began one week ago.
              Hmmm... that has to be some kind of record.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Now, IBEW Local 1260 is dealing with one beauty of a PR blackeye that no amount of spin will cover over.
              In light of the recent tsunami, I doubt more than a handful will even remember. Considering HECO is a monopoly, though, all of your concerns are completely irrelevant. Whether the public loves or hates electric workers, they will still do their job to the best of their ability and life will go on undeterred. I haven’t met anyone yet who has decided to cancel their electric service in protest. Until that changes, all the blabbermouthing in the world by one Frankie’s Market won’t change a thing.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                Why should basic public services be subject to profits for an investor's business monopoly? I don't see the difference with an investor trying to milk as much out of the situation as the union trying to do the same. I condone neither.
                Public utilities are mandated by the PUC to show a profit. At least that's what they told us when I was working for the Gas Company in Honolulu.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Public utilities are mandated by the PUC to show a profit. At least that's what they told us when I was working for the Gas Company in Honolulu.
                  That's what who told you, the union or management? Were you a member of the union then? Who runs the PUC (who's on the Board)? How much is a reasonable "profit?" Should collective bargaining rights be eliminated for unions so that a public utility can make a profit for their shareholders?

So many questions with so few easy answers.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    If you didn’t live in Ewa, who cared? I certainly didn’t.
                    Yep. You don't care about others. As long as you had your electricity, that is all that matters in this world.

The most important thing that matters is that logically, it makes sense.

The IBEW struck when it mattered most and reaped the benefits of a quickly settled strike instead of long, contract-less waiting that HECO management had subjected essential blue-collar workers to in the previous months. From that perspective, I think the outcome proves the union made the correct decision.
                    Tunnl, the article you cited merely points out that the IBEW rank-and-file voted to ratify a new contract that runs through 2013. No details were announced.

Rosenblum did not give any details on terms of the contract. Lance Miyake, the union’s business manager, did not return calls seeking comment.
                    Under the new contract, what is the minimum retirement age for a worker to get full benefits? Is it 60, or has it been raised? Has the sick leave benefits been reduced? Is there a new two-tier pay/benefits structure now in place?

Without answers to these questions, one can't say whether the one week strike for the IBEW members was worth it or not.

Are you privy to any of the details of the new contract? If not, then you're just bellowing and beating your chest over nothing.

In light of the recent tsunami, I doubt more than a handful will even remember. Considering HECO is a monopoly, though, all of your concerns are completely irrelevant. Whether the public loves or hates electric workers, they will still do their job to the best of their ability and life will go on undeterred. I haven’t met anyone yet who has decided to cancel their electric service in protest.
                    Being that HECO has a monopoly on electrical service on Oahu and that there is no competitor to turn to, leave it to the addled brain of Tunnl to think that cancelling electric service with HECO is a viable way for anyone to protest about the situation.

Until that changes, all the blabbermouthing in the world by one Frankie’s Market won’t change a thing.
                    Tunnl, let me share one story with you.

When the ILWU dock workers in Hawaii went on its 1949 strike to fight for wage parity with their mainland counterparts, they stopped almost all shipments coming to and from the islands. But note the world "almost."

Things like new furniture and applicances could not get through. But these were inconveniences that people could endure for awhile. OTOH, medical equipment and supplies were readily allowed to go through. The ILWU didn't try to put the squeeze on hospitals and sick people in order to achieve their goals. In other words, those workers had a conscience. Something that sadly seems to be missing with the IBEW members who worked off their jobs in the midst of a power outtage, forcing some people with oxygen machines and other electronic medical devices to be hospitalized.

That you don't understand any of this,... well, it's this kind of detachment from the public's pulse which led to you and your fellow Mufi-bots to be slaughtered at the polls last September.

And based on what you're writing here now, I can see that you are a glutton for punishment.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 12, 2011, 10:05 AM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Keep hearing the complaints about HECO being a monopoly, when I lived in Illinois everyone complained about Commonwealth Edison being a monopoly. Thing is pretty much no matter where you go you only have one choice when it comes to the electric service, water, cable tv, etc. So my point is these utility companies are a monopoly EVERYWHERE...not just Hawaii!! What ya gonna do...not have electricity or water...??

Comment

That's what who told you, the union or management? Were you a member of the union then? Who runs the PUC (who's on the Board)? How much is a reasonable "profit?" Should collective bargaining rights be eliminated for unions so that a public utility can make a profit for their shareholders?

So many questions with so few easy answers.
                        The answers are all in the public documents. Read 'em and weep, 'cause I've had enough of your self-righteous ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          Thing is pretty much no matter where you go you only have one choice when it comes to the electric service, water, cable tv, etc. So my point is these utility companies are a monopoly EVERYWHERE...not just Hawaii!! What ya gonna do...not have electricity or water...??
                          That is correct, utilities are private company monopolies because they offer essential public services. So why should they operate as "for profit" businesses. Let's make them "non-profit" businesses. There are other ways to provide public services rather than "well, that's the way we have always done it!"

Comment

Read 'em and weep, 'cause I've had enough of your self-righteous ignorance.
                            Amen! If I were you, I'd put matapule on ignore.

Comment

That is correct, utilities are private company monopolies because they offer essential public services. So why should they operate as "for profit" businesses. Let's make them "non-profit" businesses.
                              You mean make them like the Board of Water Supply?

So they can turn their excess operating funds into the most garish and glitiziest Xmas light displays on the front lawn?

So that workers can get together and conspire to cheat on their utility bills, while the so-called "management" looks the other way? (BOWS management's thinking: So what if those guys are tampering with their own water meters? We're not the ones losing money. Just the city.)

And on top of all that, create another department's worth of public unionized workers who will have their hands out for pensions/benefits that taxpayers will be on the hook for?

I say to all that; NO THANKS!!!
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

To ensure that the public good is ensured, monopoly industries are allow for critical services such as electricity and water. The guaranteed profit comes with the burden of government oversight.

IBEW striking for benefits is going to be a recurring theme over the coming years as benefits become more and more costly.

Yes HECO investors dividends hasn't increased but that is only once component of measuring value delivered to shareholders. The other is increase in equity.

If dividends and stock price has remained stagnant for the last five years, then isn't it appropriate to look at management compensation?

Last example, Mike Oneil isn't the only exec who puts his money where his mouth is, the NFL Roger Goodell is cutting his $5mil/year salary to $1/year while the strike is on.

That is showing his commitment to resolving the strike. Contrast that with HECO management not attending any of the negotiating meetings.

I don't work for HECO nor do any of my family or relatives, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X