Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Homeless Population

I am stimulated to create this thread by Makapule's challenge:

Certain websites estimate we have 20,000 homeless, fewer than many other warm-climate states. I think the estimate is under-represented.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    I challenge you Baggers to go live on the street with the homeless for just one week without a dime in your pocket and you will get a real fast education on the economics of taxation. Shame on you!
    Who TF are "you Baggers?" Certainly I'm not one, but the accusation seems to hang on me! It's like me calling Makapule "You Nazis."
    Not only obvious and deliberate baiting, but close to the "No Make Huhu" rule! Get real and aware! I thought you, Makapule, were against baiting, at least your responses seems to indicate so:

I am a Cultural Anthropologist, and unlike theoretical economists, like Mata claims to be, I'm there, on the ground, with my population, examining the criteria. Shame on you for NOT BEING there! And then challenging we who have been there to go there. Sounds like baiting, and hypocrisy!

First of all;, those with no income pay no taxes, except sales tax.
    Next. Homeless either congregate in groups or seek seclusion, as they choose.
    I spent a few weeks on and off, with the group who camped under the hau trees past Waianae. They managed their encampment quite well, they ejected unpleasant or non-conformative factions quickly and with a sense of unity. They worked together in a way I have rarely seen before. They didn't give a shit about taxation, because most of them were jobless.
    As for those few who had jobs, some paid their taxes (few) and others figured without a permanent address that they would not be tracked down, and if they did would plead ignorance (I sent in my forms!), and would pay when and if they could.
    I also interacted with beach and park dwellers all living alone - or not in a group, at least - and their unanimous comment was that the State was not caring for them, so they had no obligations to help the State! (Such obvious logic!).
    Now that he State is taking more aggressive steps to help homelessness, that will change (hopefully). New homeless facilities and new low-income units are becoming available. At least we hope.
    What do we need?
    1. More jobs.
    2. More affordable housing.
    3. Relaxed habitation criteria.
    4. Approved areas where homeless can easily access and live in the interim.
    That's where I'm at.

1. Homelessness in inexcusable, from the viewpoint of the State of Hawaii.

1.a. It drives away tourist ism, which is our financial life blood.
    1.b. It demonstrates that Hawai`i is financially intractable.
    1.c. It shows tourists that we are a THIRD-WORLD-state!
    1.d. It invites homeless immigrants to come and 'share the wealth.'

2. Homelessness demonstrates a need to NOT live normally, which collapses proposition 1, and allows lawlessness.

We need to determine:
    1. Will we house the homeless, temporarily, then permanently,
    2. Will we provide avenues for the homeless to become productive citizens, either here or there?

3. Will we eliminate the homeless with the Matapule Death Ray (or the Kaonohi death ray), or the Frankie Death Ray?) or the newmayor Death Ray?

#############\

\1. Done that,been there, don't work.
    2. Seems the most reasonable path, yet....
    where are the jobs? where is the housing???
    3. We tried the death ray in VietNam, it only had 50% efficiency. Reports from Iraq and Afghanistan are yet inconclusive.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Our Homeless Population

Ohana, don't post when you have had one too many Mai-Tai's!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Ohana, don't post when you have had one too many Mai-Tai's!
      What's your problem, maka? Didn't we leave enough rum for you? Or did you already have too much on board?

Don't you care about the homeless?
      ~ ~

Comment

Well written Kaonohi.

Makes me stop and think about a few points you rightly make.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

i think what Matapule meant was please don't use that blue type again - it was impossible to read. and i'm sure whatever it was was very well written.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            i think what Matapule meant was please don't use that blue type again - it was impossible to read. and i'm sure whatever it was was very well written.
            OK, I promise.
            Also the writing was not my best; I started it then I got in a hurry cause I was running late, so I didn't proof it.

A HINT! Whenever you have a hard time reading something online because of the color, if you highlight it it will change the color temporarily to make it readable.
            ~ ~

Comment

Another HINT: to my wise friends Matapule and Kaonohi:

Think about the "ignore" function on HT.

You can use it temporarily; it makes for a nice cooling-down function if someone gets your goat (and makes curry stew with it and doesn't share any with you).

Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Another HINT: to my wise friends Matapule and Kaonohi:

Think about the "ignore" function on HT.

You can use it temporarily; it makes for a nice cooling-down function if someone gets your goat (and makes curry stew with it and doesn't share any with you).

Just sayin'.
                Ah! Yet another wise friend!
                ~ ~

Comment

With the recent wave of 'cleanups' comes the usual observation that while there are openings at the shelters most are ignoring the opportunities, because they don't want to follow rules.
                  This is only true to a degree.
                  Some are unstable and cannot follow rules on a steady basis, some not at all.
                  Others simply don't want to be confined to cramped, unsanitary, and noisy conditions that exist at the general public shelters, but this reasonable stand is never addressed.
                  Many cannot or are unwilling to pay (miss one payment day and out you go) for their time at these undesireable places, more reason not to go. And these places always stress transitional housing to their inhabitants, thus the need to get back into the mind-numbing and endlessly frustrating rat race that many have understandably fled from or were struggling with. Many are never going back to that, no matter what.
                  Lots of grumbling about the blight, but no humane/real solutions, and to a large degree there is no complete solution. We've ignored the problem since it was unoticable to unavoidable, and created a monster that can't be contained.
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 16, 2011, 10:25 AM.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                  X