Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Earthquake in Japan has created a tsunami there.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Re: Tsunami Watch - Hawaii @ 3:00am Tonite

Magnitude 8.9 quake in Japan is, according to NOAA experts, one hundred times bigger than the quake in Haiti. One. Hundred. Times.
    News reports show long lines here already at gas stations, stores, etc.
    Tide at 3am will be about halfway between high and low, so that's a small blessing.
    Hourly updates at Pacific Tsunami Warning Center: http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/ .

All of you... prepare, and be safe. Good luck to all of us.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Amazing video of the tsunami in Japan from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...pan.cnn?hpt=T1 .

Comment

Watching the incredible TV coverage from Japan, that awesome tsunami relentlessly sweeping across mile after mile. We thought about Hawai'i, specifically Kalalau on the NW shore of Kaua'i, that would be a prime target for a tsunami, the campers must be alerted somehow, and somehow they must climb from the campgrounds to higher land in the dark. It won't be easy. Red Hill is about 800 ft. high, obviously that will be safe but getting up it in the dark...I don't know how you could. Hilo, on the opposite side of the Big Island from where the waves will be coming, you'd think would be safe, but maybe not, sometimes the converging waves double up. I hope everybody gets thru this OK. Its expected to pull into San Diego about 8 am. The last big Chilean quake's tsunami did a surprising amount of damage in SD Bay, it pulled boats from their moorings, smashed them together, a friend who lives on a boat said the harbor was littered with smashed boats and other rubble, so you just can never tell whats going to happen. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be camping on Kalalau beach tonight.

Comment

Anyone needs shelter, I'm at 47-649 Ahuimanu Road, 250 feet above sea level. We will shelter you! HT, you are home.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting gas (where you gonna go?).

I'd concentrate on making sure you have enough water, in case there's a disruption to the water supply (for example, if you live in an apartment that uses an electric pump to get water to your floor). I'm not gonna fight the crowds at the store. I'm gonna fill some containers, pots, and bath tub with water.

The news says at 11:30pm they'll see how powerful of a tsunami hits Wake Island.

Take care, everyone.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Re: Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

my AT&T cell service is not working right now.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I was in Kaneohe for most of the day today and was riding TheBus around 9:30 pm, when the bus arrived in Downtown Honolulu I heard the civil defense sirens go off at a bus stop.

I called my sister on Kauai and she informed me about this event. I didn't see any attempts of the boats to leave for open water, I suspect that the boat owners/operators haven't gotten to the boats yet.

Ala Moana Shopping Center doesn't seem to be any different than usual, but it was at closing time anyway.
                Last edited by helen; March 10, 2011, 10:09 PM. Reason: adding stuff about Ala Moana

Comment

I'm less than 100' from Kaneohe Bay but my house is 50' to 60' above sea level, so I'm staying. Been going around seeing if any neighbors need help or advice. Heavy rain right now and tradewinds are 20mph+.

Comment

Currently watching Hawaii NewsNow (via KGMB).

Comment

Helen, about the boats -- standard tsunami procedure for Coast Guard and Navy is for all boats to head offshore. Most of Honolulu Harbor ships and tugs will be heading out too. Not so much the yachts in the marinas, though they should. If I hadn't sold my boat I'd already be offshore.
                      Biggest problem will be wild currents in all the harbors and marinas.
                      Tsunami sirens sounding again right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Been going around seeing if any neighbors need help or advice.
                        Good job! Best wishes to you and your neighbors.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

i thinks the auto dial alert system has overloaded the system.
                          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Ewa Beach about 10 ft above sea level - I'd sure like to know what's happening in Guam right now.

\From what I gather - nothing in Guam yet.
                            Last edited by salmoned; March 10, 2011, 11:11 PM.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                              Good job! Best wishes to you and your neighbors.
                              Thanks. Lots of elderly folks in my neighborhood so it's just natural to stay in touch with them in this kind of situation.
                              Fire trucks have been going through all the areas around Kaneohe Bay using the loudspeakers to suggest evacuations in the lower areas.
                              Hey, there was a 4.6 earthquake near the Big Island at 10:58pm, just an hour ago!

Comment

Working...
                              X