X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    [...]
    The cameraman was an idiot for being out there.
    Everyone who was out there deserves a Darwin Award. And to take a small child out like that is child neglect. Unbelievable.

Comment

I have another friend who keeps his 50 foot power boat at Ala Wai Marina. He and his wife are liveaboards. He got the first tsunami warning about 8pm. He left his slip at 9pm and headed out to sea, along with a couple of hundred other boats. He spent the night about 4 miles off of Diamond Head, just motoring in idle. He said that when the tsunami hit at 3am, they felt nothing out at sea. The Coast Guard gave the all clear to return at noon on Saturday. Getting all the boats back in was an even greater challenge than leaving, because the tides and currents were messed up. He said that they were experiencing 4 foot tidal changes every 10 mintues that normally occur every 12 hours. They were also experiencing currents of 4 to 6 knots inside the marina. Pretty incredible.

Anyway, they are well and experienced no damage.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        I have another friend who keeps his 50 foot power boat at Ala Wai Marina. (...) Getting all the boats back in was an even greater challenge than leaving, because the tides and currents were messed up. He said that they were experiencing 4 foot tidal changes every 10 mintues that normally occur every 12 hours. They were also experiencing currents of 4 to 6 knots inside the marina.
        I wonder if the surge was a little less powerful in the marina because part of it was going straight up the canal. Anyway, the state replaced most of those docks last year (a couple of decades too late; they used to be as bad as the docks in Keehi), so it appears the new docks were well designed and well installed.
        Glad your friends and their boat are okay.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by KeleiGrrrl View Post
          Here's a link to some photos of the devastation in Japan.
          Dramatic images / presentation. Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Everyone who was out there deserves a Darwin Award. And to take a small child out like that is child neglect. Unbelievable.
          Yup. They all go out so they can see something "once in a lifetime". Hopefully it's not a wall of water.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

the new docks were well designed and well installed.
            One story out at Haleiwa Hbr. was the new tsunami proof pier went bye-bye while the old concrete pier is fine. Ahh, the costs and mindset of modern improvements...
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Several good tsunami followup stories in today's paper.
              One of them is about damage to the harbors, and notes that 67 boats from Keehi Lagoon are still missing. 67 boats... missing!

Comment

Here's a 6-minute video of incredible surges hitting Santa Cruz Harbor in Northern California last Friday.
                About halfway through, watch for the idiot who'd gone down onto the docks and almost got washed away. Darned lucky he's still alive.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X08M...=youtube_gdata

Here is the video I shot of Honokohau and Keauhou Bay. Good stuff.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Great video, Tim. Just saw on the news tonight that Kona Village Resort lost at least 20 hales and is closed indefinitely awaiting surveys.

Comment

I imagine you saw all that damage in Santa Cruz harbor, right? Not sure if you ever had your boat in there, but I did some racing out of there back in the day. Very small harbor with a very narrow entrance that silts up quite often, so the size and shape of that harbor helped yesterday's surges do all that damage.
                      With all the damage to harbors here, I wonder what MenehuneMan and his friend are going to do when they arrive after their crossing from California. Keehi Lagoon, where they're headed, got destroyed pretty bad so I wonder where they'll put the boat. The slip they'd planned on using is toast.
                      We were somewhere's out there when the tsunami must have gone under us, though never felt it and thought people were joking at first when our phones did work again in Hilo!

Luckily for Don... his slip #B7 at Keehi Marine center actually survived the event. He and Brice are staying on the big island for a week to make repairs and enjoy the island. Another friend is flying in from the mainland to complete the sail to Oahu with them. I've been properly and honorably relieved of duty aboard Kolohe till future sails! It's all good.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's a youtube of Keehi Marine Center and that only the A & B docks are left!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4iwiJyp1_M

Again... Don's is #B7.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thanks, MM. That answers my question from this thread and from the other one. Obviously you guys are very lucky that you boat slip survived! You must live right.

Comment

Info from Oceanic Cable that digital channel 678 will be showing constant news of the earthquake/tsunami in Japan through March 31.

Comment

Dramatic before/after pix http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                Those ABC before/after transitions are most dramatic - more so than anything else I have seen. Nothing else, not even on-site videos, brought home the extent of the devastation.
                                I was as surprised by what had been spared in the middle of the destruction as I was what had been wiped off the face of the Earth.
                                I have a new empathy for the Japanese people. Numbers did not do it, dramatic videos didn't do it. This does it.

I remember my HS Chemistry teacher saying that "Water is the Universal solvent." I'm not sure this is what he meant, but it sure hit home.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X