Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Your arguments are on paper thin ice and cracking. The recent Gulf oil spill could have been catostrophic for the entire planet had it not been fixed, and the gulf is wasted from just one well. A comparable nuke mess and it's a world-wide sayonara baby! We might be watching the end of Japan as we've known it if they don't get a handle on this unfolding mess. And it's not legit to compare the US NAVY's highest grade nuke competence vs anybody else, they are in way different leagues.
    What? It's not legit to compare to the US Navy on the issue of nuclear? Does nuclear actually differentiate on that level? Weren't you saying a comparable nuke mess and it's a world-wide sayonara?

As you've pointed out, the recent Gulf oil spill had just as much potential to be catastrophic. Which is why nuclear is nether better or worse. People get emotional when it comes to the dangers of nuclear because it can't be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      What? It's not legit to compare to the US Navy on the issue of nuclear? Does nuclear actually differentiate on that level? Weren't you saying a comparable nuke mess and it's a world-wide sayonara?

As you've pointed out, the recent Gulf oil spill had just as much potential to be catastrophic. Which is why nuclear is nether better or worse. People get emotional when it comes to the dangers of nuclear because it can't be seen.
      It's a higher level of control, minimizing risk factors, and the expertise in handling situations, than our privatized for profit gang, big dif.

A catastrophy is a mega serious problem to be dealt with, whereas bye bye means there is no longer a problem, because were all dead.

Actually, one reason nuke has been allowed to continue is because we don't see many of the negative effects til long after. Out of sight, out of mind, until it's too late. The oil was immediate and in your face, gushing on TV non-stop, creeping onto coasts, killing wildlife and jobs with daily public fury, remember? Then they capped it and most of America went back to American Idol, without the annoying distractions. Had that been a comparable nuke release there would be no more contestants or producers or stupid TV shows. Hey..., maybe we should go nuke!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

An oil spill, no matter how large, is peanuts compared to the THOUSANDS OF YEARS damage of a nuclear accident.

Sun, Wind, Water, Thermal, Geo, Hydrogen, Hydrino, Magnetic, list goes on and on.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

glow in the dark pigs knuckles, eat up!

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Sun, Wind, Water, Thermal, Geo, Hydrogen, Hydrino, Magnetic, list goes on and on.
          And none of them do this http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_germany_radioactive_boars

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
            Lesson on the trace amounts of plutonium will be the next lecture
            Thanks, A.L., It's GOOD for us to know where the dangers are, and where they are not.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

An oil spill, no matter how large, is peanuts compared to the THOUSANDS OF YEARS damage of a nuclear accident.

That's great but again, what percentage do these sources constitute the energy portfolio? Until there is meaningful change in portfolio, your evil fossil fuel and nuclear will be providing that power that drives your daily routines.

Comment

Fukushima is fading slowly from the news. Notice that? Cleanup will take years, and cost gazzillions. Cesium, Plutonium, Iodine, Uranium, Strontium, none of those are healthy.

Ol'Bammy just signed legislation last year for MORE nuclear plants in the USA. He said he did this because of the environmental problems associated with fossil fuels. Sierra Club praised the decision. I'm in hysterics over the irony this creates for the folks who voted for Ol' Bammy. I know you guys don't get it. It's okay.

Why is it that the folks who profess to love the environment are the same folks who do the most to damage it?
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I'm in hysterics over the irony this creates for the folks who voted for Ol' Bammy. I know you guys don't get it. It's okay.
                  Whew, relief! I hope that holds true when I help re-elect yo-mammy.

Comment

When our technology began to expand, the worst we could expect (in terms of accidents) was that we would slice ourselves on the sharp edges of our obsidian blades.
                    Now we have advanced to the point where we can poison large sections of our population with radioactive elements.

PROGRESS! Our most important product....

K ~
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

We talked a bit earlier about robots being used at the plant, and that is happening. A robotic helicopter with a camera hovered over the plant, sending pictures of the damage so experts can assess what the damage is, evidently the pics will be made public Monday. Also remote controlled equipment is being used in some repair operations. There is not much news coverage on the story right now, I wonder if that means the situation is stabalizing, I hope so!

Comment

Ol'Bammy just signed legislation last year for MORE nuclear plants in the USA. He said he did this because of the environmental problems associated with fossil fuels. Sierra Club praised the decision. I'm in hysterics over the irony this creates for the folks who voted for Ol' Bammy. I know you guys don't get it. It's okay.
                        Where does that leave us who voted for Obama but are opposed to nucular (sic) power with present safeguards? Nuclear power is fine given proper design and oversight!

BTW, your racial inferences are offensive.

My SIL watched as a concrete pumper truck with a 70 foot boom was loaded on an air transport at LAX on Friday. Two of these behemoths were flown to Fukushima on Friday to attempt to plug the leak(s) with concrete. Interestingly, they were flown on Russian designed aircraft, evidently the only aircraft capable of the task.

Fukushima is fading slowly from the news.
                        No, Fukushima has not faded from my radar.

Why is it that the folks who profess to love the environment are the same folks who do the most to damage it?
                        That general statement is utterly and obviously senseless, illogical, and untrue; contrary to all reason and common sense; laughably foolish and false. It should win some sort of prize for absurdity!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

An opinion piece on nuclear power which I think puts things in perspective.

Comment

I heard some tsunami walls weren't able to hold at their rated wave heights, because the earthquake dropped the land by 3 feet! Nature has a way of messing with our best laid plans and calculations.
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

First of all, let me start this post with a political clarification of the source of some of my opinions......

I'm a RepubiCRAT, who leans right fiscally, left socially, and towards the future technologically. I truly believe that technology will save us from ourselves in the long run, even if we screw up in the short run.

Mata, my Ol'Bammy reference is purely Skynard, and by no means racial. You should know that about me by now.

If your support of the President conflicts with his support of nuclear energy, then simply try to be a voice of reason. Help him get smarter, and change his mind.

As for environmentalists whose policies are damaging to the environment....
                              think about this....

In Hawaii, we have lots of folks who blissfully believe that recycling in Hawaii is a great idea. But have you seen any Aluminum Smelters? And who do you think would protest the very notion of the construction of a Glass Factory? Or a plastics melting facility to make picnic benches?

You see, in the last 35 years, environmentalism has created so many COSTLY impediments to construction, that even the US infrastructure is crumbling right before our eyes because we can no longer afford the EIS, SMA, Conservation Permit, Shoreline Survey, Public Hearings, Civil Lawsuits, etc etc etc. Try build a SCHOOL on a burial site in Hawaii. Not likely.

The matapule doth protest too loudly methinks.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

In Hawaii, we have lots of folks who blissfully believe that recycling in Hawaii is a great idea. But have you seen any Aluminum Smelters? And who do you think would protest the very notion of the construction of a Glass Factory? Or a plastics melting facility to make picnic benches?
                                So what is your solution, do nothing? Don't even try?

You see, in the last 35 years, environmentalism has created so many COSTLY impediments to construction, that even the US infrastructure is crumbling right before our eyes because we can no longer afford the EIS, SMA, Conservation Permit, Shoreline Survey, Public Hearings, Civil Lawsuits, etc etc etc. Try build a SCHOOL on a burial site in Hawaii. Not likely.
                                So what do you attribute cleaner air, cleaner water, and improved industrial safety to, if not environmental activism? I sure do miss all that asbestos from my early school years! Ah, but heck, it costs to much to remove it and build without it, so let's start using it again.

But back on topic, today, the Nuclear Regulatory Agency refused to renew the permit for Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant, (the one that's built on an active fault) until additional studies can be completed. I bet that's going to cost a few bucks, those dayam environmentalists!

The matapule doth protest too loudly methinks.
                                He doesn't protest nearly loud enough to those that are deaf.
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X