Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Was overhearing this story while shopping this evening. I don't know all of the details at this time.

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    One of the local cable channels is doing a live feed from NHK news in Tokyo, I can pick out a few words here & there having taken Japanese 25 years ago. This situation is incredibly sad, its frightening.

I am concerned for the whole Pacific basin if there is a serious meltdown. I wish some reporters would find out what danger a melt down would pose to the Pacific, the currents, air and sea, I am serious--will it be safe to even go in the ocean? Will fishing be over for the rest of our lifetimes? We need to know. Hawai'i needs to know, for sure.
    While having any amount of radation escaping is bad I suspect that the fallout from exploding nuclear weapons is much worse and we are still around.
    Last edited by helen; March 14, 2011, 08:20 PM.

Re: Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Will it be safe to even go in the ocean? Yes
    Will fishing be over for the rest of our lifetimes? No

Comment

A problem seems to have developed in the spent fuel rods ponds, quite a bit of cooling water seems to have drained off.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        While having any amount of radiation escaping is bad I suspect that the fallout from exploding nuclear weapons is much worse and we are still around.
        RIGHTO! The bright side of this cataclysm is that it just may jumpstart the Japanese economy. I'll soon be sending some of my investment funds to promote that aim.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Last night for a few minutes on the news they were reporting that the crew at the plant was abandoning it. The vision of tons of spent fuel rods burning in the open, coming to critical mass and exploding, sending plumes of radioactive poison high into the jet stream, scared the *&%$ out of me. I started looking for flights to Miami, then to Caracas, then to Rio. Then they reported that the workers had left for only a temporary evacuation. This would be a great job for robots. I mean given that the job ever has to be done in the first place. Robots to hook piping to fuel rod pools and pump water directly from the ocean, robots to bring in pumps and begin cooling the reactors again. And where is it written that the spent fuel rods have to be stored together where they can heat each other up with radiation? How hard would it have been to separate them into smaller groupings and separate them with lead or boron or whatever it takes to neutralize fission? Live and learn. It is very bad news for Japan but it appears that there probably will not be venting high enough into the atmosphere to hit No. America or Hawai'i. I have never been to Rio. It might be nice to vacation there for a couple of weeks. Or months. Maybe longer.

Comment

Robots

It is very bad news for Japan but it appears that there probably will not be venting high enough into the atmosphere to hit No. America or Hawai'i.
            I was hoping they would bust out the robot army for this one...

Supposedly, Hawaii is out of the air current from Japan, but N. America could catch some as it archs over.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

NY Times story about the 50 workers who remain working to control the plant:

Comment

It's doubtful another country could match the resolve and orderly manner in which the Japanese have behaved so far. Mega credit, lets hope it remains as things get worse.

Comment

I realize this is a very general question, but how are people of Japanese ancestry in Hawai'i coping with this tragedy? How is the general population of Hawai'i dealing with it, if you can generalize?

Comment

wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

Live feed in English from NHK World News

Comment

How is the general population of Hawai'i dealing with it, if you can generalize?
                      With that passive mind set of Russian roulette. We won again, no worries...
                      We know our time will come, til then we just cruise and hope for the best, thinking the day after I die would be best for that occurance.

Comment

Re: Fukushima I nuclear Incident(s)

Sorry I didn't point this out in my previous post, but this event was NO accident.
                        Last edited by salmoned; March 17, 2011, 08:48 PM.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Can you expand a little on that, please?

Comment

dodged yet another bullet!

Twist of fate decision that saved '09 Miss Hawaii's life http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ged_Japan.html

Comment

After several days of fairly optimistic reports authorities are now saying that reactor 3 may have a breached containment vessel, meaning there may be a large release of radiation. They cannot be sure, but the very high levels of radiation in water that injured workers at the plant suggests that a breach may have happened. On the optimistic side again, we are assured there will probably be no Chernobyl type explosion. Fukushima has been called the world's largest nuclear power plant. There is a serious error in locating several reactors close to each other, if one contaminates the area it makes it very difficult to control the others. I am not a religious type but if I were I would be praying now.

Comment

Working...
                              X