Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chernobyl like

Not getting better every day http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110412/...pan_earthquake
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      So what do you attribute cleaner air, cleaner water, and improved industrial safety to, if not environmental activism?
      Certainly environmental activism is an important force in our current world environmental culture, but for Hawai`i, it's also important to remember that we are a bunch of islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, far distant from most sources of pollution.
      THAT is what I most attribute our "cleaner air, cleaner water, and improved industrial safety to."
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Check this out. Its a few years old, but the photos are remarkable. They're taken by a Soviet girl who has access to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster site. Click on 'beginning' and scroll thru the chapters. Enjoy!

From her notes - "Children had to part with their favourite toys. People had to leave everything, from photos of their grandparents to cars. Their clothes, cash and passports has all been changed by state authorities. Incredibly, people had homes, motorcycles, garages, cars, country houses, they had money, friends and relatives. People had their lives. Each had their own niche. And then in a matter of hours , their entire world fell to pieces."
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Mata, thanks for being so cool. Love that part about you.

I am simply against Nuclear Power. I realize fossil fuels are bad also. We are starting to get into the "CRAT" part of my politics here, so trust me, in many ways we are on the same page.

But I say no to nuclear power.....cleanup and decommission what we have now...and do it before the next catastrophe takes place.

PS - Just a little hint of what's to come. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfUhvmsGHws
          Last edited by timkona; April 13, 2011, 11:39 AM.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            the photos are remarkable. They're taken by a Soviet girl who has access to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster site.
            Quite sobering. Thanks, TG!

Another of Elena's quotes that struck me:

"In Ukrainian language ( where we don't like to say "the") Chernobyl is the name of a grass, wormwood (absinth). This word scares the holy bejesus out of people here. Maybe part of the reason for that among religious people is because the Bible mentions Wormwood in the book of the revelatons - which fortells the end of the world....

REV 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
            REV 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter. "

Some estimates hold that perhaps hundreds of thousands of people died because of Chernobyl (directly and indirectly), official sources claim only about 6,000. (Only??)
            How many will die from Fukushima? Poor Japan got the 1-2-3 punch: earthquake, tsunami, nuke.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The situation at the Fukushima reactor is different than the situation at Chernobyl. Even though they're at the same rating, they're not the same. There is simply nothing higher than a 7 on the scale. The term is actually "major accident". Think of that. You're driving down the road and see a "major accident" involving two cars. Then you see another "major accident" involving a full bus. Not the same situation at all, and in the second instance more people die, but they're still both major accidents on a scale of major, minor and non incident. That is what we're looking at here. Fukushima and Chernobyl may both be major incidents, but they're very different situations. Here is a good chart explaining the differences:
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13050228

And before people pounce on this: "Officials say radiation leaks are continuing and could eventually exceed those at Chernobyl."

I could eventually run for president. That doesn't mean it's probable, simply that the possibility exists.
              Last edited by sophielynette; April 13, 2011, 04:04 PM. Reason: html bad
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Robot footage of damage @ Fukushima:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLE2nA-0TBU

Comments?

Comment

So the best they can do is a 9 month plan to cover Fukushima in a concrete sarcophagus like Chernobyl.

Can you say " I give up " ???

But don't worry. Environmentally minded folks like the President absolutely love this outcome. That's why he signed a billion dollar nuke power bill.

Yaaaaayyyyyy!!!

FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

News coverage on Fukushima has been noticeably absent for the past couple of weeks. Why? I don't think Chernobyl got ignored after initial reports, it got some follow up. Something is happening in Japan, I am sure there are ways we can find out about exclusion zones and progress (hopefully) on cooling the reactors, and no doubt the Royal Wedding is extremely exciting and interesting and the Birther nonsense boundlessly entertaining, but Fukushima has some very serious potential long term consequences and our media seems to be ignoring it. Maybe there's really no story there, but it just seems odd that something with such dire potential would be getting (what seems to me, anyway) ignored in our press.

Comment

American Media is sympathetic to Obama.
                      Obama signed 8 Billion dollar Nuke Package last year.
                      Of course they won't report on Fukushima.
                      Except for Fox News. And you know how much they suck.

Please pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

WHY all this interest in radiation when there is a birth certificate to worry about ...... or..... wait ......ummmmm, when there is the validity of college admission and grades to worry about???
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Remember the Gulf oil disaster?
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I just popped onto NHK World to see what the Japanese news is talking about. Top story is the tornados that ripped through the US. Then a brief article about how situations have improved at the plant.

Japan Today has articles about the shinkansen resuming service. After some searching I found on article on how the water injections into the No 1 reactor seem to be progressing as hoped. While I did find one report about a worker in the plant receiving excess radiation, there were no stories on the affect of the radiation leak on the general public.

The american media (which I have no fondness for) may not be paying attention to Fukushima, but it seems the Japanese media isn't that concerned either.
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              WHY all this interest in radiation when there is a birth certificate to worry about ...... or..... wait ......ummmmm, when there is the validity of college admission and grades to worry about???
                              And let's not worry about Bin Laden, either. Oh, wait, guess that diversion of the American focus turned out to be of a real benefit!! Secret attacks were kept secret!
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

The other day I google mapped the northeast coast of Japan where the earthquake and tsunami hit. You could see the devastation clearly, also steps being taken to clear it up. However when I got to the Fukushima plant the photo presented was of the pre-disaster site, it was in perfect condition, all the buildings still had their roofs. That was odd because a previous time I google mapped the same site it did show the damage, so for some reason the picture of the damage has been replaced. Why? No, it has not been repaired, not that quickly.

Second, the news crawl today mentioned two of the reactors may have "holes" in them. It was just on the crawl, it would be good if news from time to time issued more in depth updates. Its still a serious situation. A "hole" could be totally insignificant, or it could mean meltdown, it would be helpful to know exactly what they meant.

Comment

Working...
                                X