Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fukushima I nuclear accidents

You can find the story on CNN News, it seems that at least one reactor had 100% melt of fuel, and that the cracks run to about 3-4" in the containment vessels. They think they can stabalize and cold shut down the reactors in early 2012. The thinking is if the fuel had melted thru the containment and hit ground water doing a big explosion spreading radiation they could have lost northern Japan, I guess that would mean northern Honshu and Hokkaido. And I guess it could still happen if things go wrong. It is odd that this story doesn't get more attention. Yes, you can find it, but it isn't put out there for public consumption like something irrelevant like Paris Hilton's latest escapades or the hacking of Rep. Weiner's twitter account.

Comment

It's foolish to try to glean any truth out of the western press. NHK in Japan has been telling the story all along More or less) and it's more grim the the stuff we're getting here. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/

Comment

Last night CNN reported that the radiation release was about twice as bad as originally reported, and that three of the reactors had full "meltdown". I think what they mean is melting of the fuel, not (at least I hope not) as we understand a meltdown to mean the molten fuel melting thru the bottom of the reactor to hit ground water. Evidently that has not happened. As I understand it, the fully melted fuel is still enclosed in the containment vessels. The episode/emergency is by no means over. Tiny radioactive particles have been found in Seattle, these particles can have the worst possible health impact on people who breathe them in. This story remains relevant, of great importance, yet the press goes on and on and on about Weiner's weenie. Maybe, given that there's nothing we can do about the health dangers other than all of us move en masse to South America, its actually better to divert public attention from unavoidable and unpleasant realities.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          Tiny radioactive particles have been found in Seattle, these particles can have the worst possible health impact on people who breathe them in.
          Here are some web references I've run across on the fallout issue, in case any are interested:
          Arnie Gundersen interview
          Marco Kaltofen interview
          Wikipedia article on radiation from Fukushima I.
          Greg

Comment

Remember last year when BHO signed Billions for nuclear energy.

He's such a smart/great president.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              He's such a smart/great president.
              6 more years, baby!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Obama is a bit conservative for my taste. For instance, there is really no need for insurance companies to be involved in health care. They are irrelevant; doctors, nurses, labs, pharmacies are relevant, but not insurance companies. Obama should have wiped out the health insurance companies with Single Payer, but...he didn't, and why remains a mystery. Nobody with any common sense sees a single good reason why multi billion dollar corporations have any business rationing health care, dictating life or death, deciding on medical procedures based on profit and loss. Maybe Obama is on the take. Maybe he is on the take from the nuclear industry. Maybe the reason the media is relatively quiet about Fukushima is that the fix is in, the decision has been made that nuclear is the future and thats all there is to it, and the media, integrated as it often is with the companies that produce reactors and build nuclear plants, has very little inclination to panic (alert, inform) the public. Its hard to see any function to the continuous breathless reporting on Weiner's weenie other than deliberate distraction.

Comment

The weenie story is legitimately ongoing, weenie-man just admitted being lying scum and refuses to resign, that's news. Not big enuf to completely replace REAL news, but when do we ever get real news? All the stuff we need to have portrayed regularly and/or investigative reporting done on is either ignored or quickly replaced by someone's weenie, boobie, or other BS. There are many to blame for this crap, mainly the American public for letting it overtake any/all that benefits us. That's how they set the fixes so easily.

Comment

Maybe the reason the media is relatively quiet about Fukushima is that the fix is in, the decision has been made that nuclear is the future and thats all there is to it, and the media, integrated as it often is with the companies that produce reactors and build nuclear plants, has very little inclination to panic (alert, inform) the public. Its hard to see any function to the continuous breathless reporting on Weiner's weenie other than deliberate distraction.
                    There's really no other explanation for all the press silence on this issue. The nuclear disaster in Japan has completely overshadowed the tsunami in the Japanese press. Hell, they've been through natural disasters before, but serious radiation is nearly forever.We went through this same garbage right after 9-11, when all the nuke talking heads were on every network claiming, as one did, than you could crash a plane into a power plant, and there would be no radiation spill. People actually believe this crap!

Comment

Obama should have wiped out the health insurance companies with Single Payer, but...he didn't, and why remains a mystery.
                      No mystery. An American president is not master of the universe. Only gradual, baby steps are politically feasible, so as not to come up against too many entrenched powers.
                      Greg

Comment

Should the cons ever retake the White House, you can count the seconds before they impose presidential powers to get every single thing they want and more, exactly what Obama should have done from day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          6 more years, baby!
                          2 if I have my way!

History, however, has shown most incumbents win a second term - in spite of obvious idiocy.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

To bring it back to Fukushima. Obama is not perfect. I regret his pro nuclear option, but maybe it will take losing St. Louis or Cleveland to make the point, I think Japan gets it now, right? Obama is not perfect, but so much better than GOP. Like having to chose between pimples and a brain tumor.
                            Last edited by Kalalau; June 9, 2011, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Obama is not perfect, but so much better than GOP. Like having to chose between pimples and a brain tumor.
                              Why do we so often assume we only have two choices?

Well, the power structure has programmed us to think that way.
                              Anything other than Democrat/repressive or Republican/powerstructure is just, well, "Un-American!"

I remind you. Before the current common era there were many more political parties, including Whigs (whatever they were), Federalists, and so many more.

Significant parties were considered as having more than 100,000 members:

Modern 3rd parties:
                              Largest (voter registration over 100,000)Please note that at one time the Democrats and Republicans were aligned in ONE PARTY!!!!!

So we don't REALLY have a two-party system, we have a fractured one-party system.

Hooray for our ignorance!

We are slaves to misinformation.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

3rd parties often have an unforeseen effect. Nader cost Gore the 2000 election and put it close enough that the crooked Republican judges on the sup ct could give the presidency to bush and that was the whole disaster you see now (which I won't bother recounting again). Perot in 1992 split off enough Republican votes from Bush, the adult mature man who even though he made mistakes was at least guided by reasonable human values and a passable intellect, that a little known governor from Arkansas could win the Presidency and give the nation a $500 billion surplus, surplusses as far as the eye could see, with the entire national debt on schedule to have been paid off LAST YEAR. Teddy Roosevelt ran as an independent in 1912 and split off enough Republican votes from his former friend Taft that Democrat Woodrow Wilson could win. So...the place to have your most reliable impact is in selecting the nominee for one of the two big parties. If you believe in social security and medicare, in banking, securities, pollution, food safety regulation, in a woman's right to control her own body with her own medical decisions, you logically should vote Democratic and work to make sure that party nominates people you like. If you want social security and medicare privatized, if you want banks, securities companies, polluting companies, and food producers to be unregulated, if you believe irrelevant third parties have the right to control a woman's body against her own medical decisions, then you should vote Republican and support nominees you like. Otherwise, going for a third party choice, you do have the danger of putting into office the total opposite of what you really want.

Comment

Working...
                                X