Mars Needs Moms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars Needs Moms

Saw the 2d version of Mars Needs Moms at the Ward Theatre this morning.

The movie is about boy named Milo who's mom is targeted by Martians who live underground on Mars and they need her knowledge of raising kids to program their machines to raise the newly hatched Martians, however the process destorys the Mom and its up to Milo and his new found friends on Mars to save his mom.

Re: Mars Needs Moms

Well? What did you think of it?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I didn't even know this movie was coming out, and I have three kids. And when I did hear about it, the news was all about how poorly it did:

'Mars Needs Moms' a megaton bomb
      How badly did Disney's "Mars Needs Moms'' bomb this weekend? Well, the embarrasing $6.8 million estimate is around 300K less than 2008's "Space Chimps,'' which did not have the benefit of bloated 3D and IMAX ticket surcharges, an ultra-wide release, the Disney brand name and a reported $60 million marketing budget.
      Why Disney's 'Mars Needs Moms' bombed
      The motion-capture animated film cost $150 million to produce but earned only $6.9 million in its debut at the domestic box office, the 12th worst opening of all time for a movie released in more than 3,000 theaters and one of the lowest openings for a major 3D release.

Comment

This was an interesting concept, but they did a poor job of marketing it. They should have played up the camp and silliness (if indeed there is any silliness, as its title would suggest). I haven't seen it and I don't plan to, 'though I won't rule out a 2D viewing.

...but man. Am I the only one who thinks the movie poster is a tad too suggestive?
        Attached Files
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The one thing I liked I about this movie was the Martian spaceship which used some sort of portal generator to open a hole in space so that it can travel between Mars and Earth kind of fast.

As far as liking or disliking this movie, I got some mixed feelings about it. I don't regret going, it was on my list of movies to watch especially yesterday's viewing of watching aliens invading Earth theme. Granted it was weak in that theme (they only did a raid not an invasion), speaking of which of the sci-fi was weak in that regread too. It's mostly a family movie with a hint of sci-fi on the side.

If you do watch it stick around while the end credits roll, there are shots of them making this movie.
          Last edited by helen; March 25, 2011, 02:45 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Too bad if they messed this one up; I enjoyed the book (by Berkeley Breathed of "Bloom County"/"Opus"/"Outland" fame).

Comment

I didn't read the book so I have no idea if this movie follows the book or not. It does sort of explains the use of Milo as the kid's name and Gribble's stance on Reagan's view of Communism.

Comment

Working...
              X