Grammy Awards - major restructuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammy Awards - major restructuring

The Recording Academy this morning announced a restructuring of the Awards overall (including the way members are allowed to vote) - press release at http://www.grammy.org/recording-acad.../press-release

You may be curious about the Hawaiian Album category. Here's what is happening with that (quoted directly from the Grammy.com website):

American Roots Music. The traditional and contemporary blues categories and the traditional and contemporary folk categories each were consolidated into one per genre, due to the number of entries and given the challenges in distinguishing between Contemporary Folk and Americana and Contemporary and Traditional Blues. There has been a great deal of concern over the consistently low entries in the Hawaiian, Native American and Cajun/Zydeco Categories. It was believed best to continue to honor such regional music, but to do it all together, recognizing the very cream of this crop, with one category: Regional Roots Music. This has a pattern/precedent in Regional Mexican Music and would incorporate Hawaiian, Cajun/Zydeco, Native American, and Polka music (which has a regional home in the Great Lakes states).

Re: Grammy Awards - major restructuring

I have mixed feelings about this, as I imagine would anyone who loves Hawaiian music but thinks the Grammy categories are (overall) too specific. Heck, I think the Hollywood Foreign Press (whom I dislike) is too specific with its Golden Globes for best pictures in drama and musical/comedy categories. From as objective a standpoint as I can muster, I guess I have to say this is a good move.
    Last edited by scrivener; April 6, 2011, 06:57 AM. Reason: "Don't touch me; I'm a real livewire..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's no real surprise. Many of these categories were barely sustaining themselves anyway. Considering how many people were upset at Hawaiian music competing with itself, I hope they can grasp that it now has to compete with Polka, Cajun/Zydeco & Native American music releases.

Comment

The Star-Advertiser now has the story at this link, under the somewhat misleading headline of "Grammys cut Hawaiian music category in overhaul of awards". Included in the story:

Other changes will require each category to have at least 40 entries instead of 25, and categories that receive between 25 and 39 will have only three nominations instead of four or five.
        If a category gets fewer than 25 entries, it will be removed for that year, and if it happens three years in a row, the category will be discontinued and the material will find a new home in a related genre.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Village Voice blogger's take on it.

Comment

By the way, the Star-Advertiser story that I linked to was written by Associated Press.
            Kind of funny that the very first sentence in that story reads:

Tia Carrere won't be taking home any more Grammys for best Hawaiian music album.

Somewhere Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui must be laughing and clapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Village Voice blogger's take on it.
              I read that and didn't see any "take" on it, other than including the Hawaiian category as one that was shifted. But no opinion or anything in there.
              What was in there though was this link to a story in the New York Times from February, which really does have a lot to say.

Comment

Good reading on the NY Time. I would never have guess, that even (Hawaiian) music was that political.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  this link to a story in the New York Times from February, which really does have a lot to say.
                  Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                  Good reading on the NY Time.
                  Indeed it is; I posted that link to HT back on Feb. 4, in fact. Nate grew up in Hawai`i and is an excellent music writer; I was impressed that he got the Times to run a big piece on a musical genre that's of little concern to most folks not in the Islands.

As for "opinions" in the Village Voice piece - they are clearly there; a lot of "this is probably..." and "perhaps this is..." statements; it's a blog piece and reads as such.

Comment

As not too much grumble, grumble, so they went take away the award cuz poor sport as why?

Comment

Yeah - what he said.

Comment

John Berger has a longer story in today's paper on the third page of section B, and there's also a large banner about it on the top of the very front page of the paper.

Comment

The most telling quote in the story comes from Academy VP Bill Freimuth: β€œOne thing that I found out during these calls was that a lot of these people were qualified to be members of the academy, but chose not to, so it was difficult to talk with people who decided to not be part of the process.”

I believe that's what many of us have been saying for quite some time. It was easier for people to gripe about the results than to step up and be involved - easier to object than to be objective. For some people, if they couldn't be king of the sandbox, then they felt there shouldn't even BE a sandbox.

But I'm glad to see Uncle Dennis returning to a healthier attitude about the value of the awards, following his initial (and understandable) post-Grammy reactions. I think this also increases the value of the Nā Hōkū Hanohano Awards, which are in a better position to represent the range of music coming from Hawai`i and its musicians.

Comment

Until 4pm today you can vote in an online poll. Go to the Star-Advertiser's main page and scroll down; look for the poll on the right-hand side.
                            You can vote yes or no to this question:

Should Hawaiian musicians boycott the Grammy Awards’ telecast partner, CBS, for dropping Hawaiian music as a category in the competition?

Remember, they're asking if we should boycott CBS, who had absolutely nothing to do with the Grammy's category change. DUH. I can't imagine why anyone at all would vote yes on this.

Comment

Boycotting CBS is foolish, especially when the network gives the state huge weekly exposure via the new "Hawaii Five-0" TV show... 10 to 12 million viewers a week.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X