Grammy Awards - major restructuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grammy Awards - major restructuring

I honestly have mixed feelings about this situation as well; I'm really sad to see something that was fought to obtain for so long go away within only a few years since its inception. On the other hand, the lack of participation within Hawaii's music community to keep the category going, despite the controversy of who rightfully won the Hawaiian Grammy category, probably led to its demise.

I had the opportunity to go to Los Angeles for the Grammy Awards as part of the Music and Entertainment Learning Experience (MELE) Program at HCC with four other students, and the music community there is very active, attending the songwriter workshops, artist showcases, and other activities leading up to the event. Compare with the Grammy 101 meeting on July 18, 2011. Though there were people that turned out, it met below expectations. (It can be implied, though, that there are other factors involved with the low turnout, being on the start of the work week with people just coming out of their 9 to 5 and maybe even lack of promotion for the event.)

But we, as a community, need to have an initiative to be more proactive - music should no longer be hobby for most if we want these changes; it has to become a career. I understand the need for a day job to support, but to churn out great music, it has to be a way of life, just as how I saw it is in Los Angeles. And then we could tackle the issue of reinstating the Hawaiian Grammy category.

Comment

For those curious about the changes in this year’s Grammy system – as you know from earlier discussions, Hawaiian music is now incorporated into the Category of “Best Regional Roots Music Album” (as part of the “American Roots” field), alongside Native American, Cajun/Zydeco & Polka releases.

This year’s eligibility list consists of 55 albums, 13 of which are Hawaiian. They are:
      * “No Ku`uipo” – Ahumanu
      * “Kale`a” – Kawika Alfiche
      * “Hula” – Robert Cazimero
      * “Aia I Hi`ialo” – Hi`ikua
      * “Kaunaloa” – Kuana Torres Kahele
      * “Wao Akua – The Forest Of The Gods” – George Kahumoku, Jr.
      * “Play With Me Papa” – John Keawe
      * “Aina” – Mailani
      * “Kawaipono” – Kenneth Makuakane
      * “In My Heart” – Doug & Sandy McMaster
      * “A Tribute To Na Lani `Eha” (various artists)
      * “Na Haku Mele O Hawai`i” (various artists)
      * “Wahine” (various artists)

In addition, voters are no longer restricted to voting in a limited number of specialized fields (which, as we’ve often discussed, leads to bluegrass experts choosing to vote in a field that included Hawaiian, etc.); now, we are allowed to choose up to 20 individual categories (out of nearly 80), in whichever fields we like. This is to encourage voting only in the areas that are our individual strengths, rather than just filling out categories in fields where we were voting for something.

Comment

One Hawaiian album made the cut to be a nominee (announced tonight) --- congratulations to Uncle George!

Best Regional Roots Music Album
        For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new vocal or instrumental regional roots music recordings. NOTE: This category is intended to recognize recordings of regionally based traditional music, including but not limited to Hawaiian, Native American, polka, zydeco and Cajun music.

1. CAN'T SIT DOWN
        C.J. Chenier
        [World Village]

2. WAO AKUA - THE FOREST OF THE GODS
        George Kahumoku, Jr.
        [Daniel Ho Creations]

3. REBIRTH OF NEW ORLEANS
        Rebirth Brass Band
        [Basin Street Records]

4. GRAND ISLE
        Steve Riley & The Mamou Playboys
        [Mamou Playboy Records]

5. NOT JUST ANOTHER POLKA
        Jimmy Sturr & His Orchestra
        [Starr Record]

Comment

Congratulations to George!
          But it's interesting that his record was put out on Daniel Ho's label and that Daniel Ho produced the album and also did the recording, mastering, and graphic design.
          That would be the same Daniel Ho that Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui absolutely blasted last year.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I didn't think it would take long for the focus to shift off Uncle George and onto Daniel Ho, who has become a lightning-rod for many attacks in the Hawaiian music community. George considers Daniel to be among his haumana, and gives him much credit for the success of the weekly slack-key concerts on Maui, due to the public attention given to the multiple (and multiple Grammy-winning) releases of music from those concerts – releases that include performances by luminaries of kī hō`alu (including Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui).

George and Daniel have also released six albums of duets over the years, playing everything from hula classics to Hawaiian hymns (the latter being material that George had promised to his kūpuna for many years, but he says he might never have finished had it not been for Daniel). Other respected folks who have worked with Daniel include Kawaikapuokalani Hewett, Darlene Ahuna, Herb Ohta, Jr., Keoki Kahumoku and scholar/haku mele Dr. Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              I didn't think it would take long for the focus to shift off Uncle George and onto Daniel Ho, who has become a lightning-rod for many attacks in the Hawaiian music community.
              Why? Did the attacks on Daniel already start in that Taro Patch group or elsewhere? I'll have to go look.
              I've never attacked him and in fact have been a strong supporter of Daniel. Just saying. Don't want readers here on HT to think you're accusing me of shifting any focus or of attacking him.

Comment

I didn't think it would take long for the focus to shift off Uncle George and onto Daniel Ho, ---
                Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Why? Did the attacks on Daniel already start in that Taro Patch group or elsewhere? I'll have to go look.
                I've never attacked him and in fact have been a strong supporter of Daniel. Just saying. Don't want readers here on HT to think you're accusing me of shifting any focus or of attacking him.
                Never said you "attacked" him, only that you shifted the focus - which you did, as early as the fourth word in your post:
                Congratulations to George!
                But it's interesting that his record was put out on Daniel Ho's label and that Daniel Ho produced the album and also did the recording, mastering, and graphic design.
                That would be the same Daniel Ho that Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui absolutely blasted last year.
                Unless someone has hijacked your HT account, I have to assume that was your post.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b..._a_Grammy.html

From the S-A: "Slack key songs about the Hawaiian forest could win a Grammy"

Comment

I didn't think it would take long for the focus to shift off Uncle George and onto Daniel Ho, who has become a lightning-rod for many attacks in the Hawaiian music community.
                    Just pointing out here that you were the first one to use the word "attacks," just for the record.

Comment

Good link. Thanks!
                      And here's a quote from that article:

"Daniel Ho, who produced Kahumoku's nominated album, received a Grammy nomination of his own, for best pop instrumental album for "E Kahe Mahie." Ho has four Hawaiian music Grammys as a producer and one as a performer."

How cool is that? Daniel is also in the Best Pop Instrumental album! I've gotta find out who he's up against.

Comment

Way to go, Daniel Ho!!!

"Daniel Ho, who produced Kahumoku's nominated album, received a Grammy nomination of his own, for best pop instrumental album for "E Kahe Mahie." Ho has four Hawaiian music Grammys as a producer and one as a performer."

How cool is that? Daniel is also in the Best Pop Instrumental album! I've gotta find out who he's up against.
                        WOW!!! He's nominated against major superstars like Booker T. Jones and Dave Koz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here's the list:

Best Pop Instrumental Album:

Wish Upon A Star... Jenny Oaks Baker

E Kahe Malie... Daniel Ho

The Road From Memphis... Booker T. Jones

Hello Tomorrow... Dave Koz

Setzer Goes Instru-Mental!... Brian Setzer

Way to go, Daniel!!! Boy, I'll bet certain members of the Hawaiian Grammy class are jealous as hell about this.

Comment

It's a gorgeously-recorded album (he's very meticulous about his sound), featuring him on piano and bass. Of the album's 11 tracks, 7 are standards of the Hawaiian music repertoire - but in his own creative arrangements. The other four are originals, including a number in honor of his father, who passed away earlier this year. (I met his dad before I met Daniel, through his brother - dad raised the brothers as a single parent.) If you are a fan of people putting new clothes on familiar works, you might enjoy the arrangements - that's long been one of Daniel's strongest skills.

But I suspect tutusue will be hoping for a Dave Koz victory in this category!

(and this kind of shifting of focus I can be happy with)

Comment

I suspect tutusue will be hoping for a Dave Koz victory in this category!
                            Garanz!

(and this kind of shifting of focus I can be happy with)
                            Same here.

Comment

Not another ki hoalu album!!
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                Not another ki hoalu album!!
                                Interesting, isn't it, considering that very few of the Hawaiian albums submitted in the new category were slack key this time around? Perhaps it shows the mindset of the (mostly mainland-based) voters, who vote for what they have heard of, since most of those artists don't do mainland touring, aside from the guitarists; a notable exception being Hi`ikua.

Comment

Working...
                                X