Government Shutting Down Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Shutting Down Again?

OK, I admit it, I have nothing but the deepest contempt for everybody who voted for this congress. The tea party people actually do want it to shut down, the rest of the Republicans are playing along because they don't want to face primary election challenges from tea party people. Wow, what a superb time for Al Qaeda to score a major terrorist attack, when the spoiled brats in the sand box are shutting down the gvt. Americans are pathetic.

Re: Government Shutting Down Again?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
      score a major terrorist attack, when the spoiled brats in the sand box are shutting down the gvt.
      According to a 5pm news report on KITV, essential services would continue [national security and law enforcement, including military, coast guard, TSA, air traffic controllers, etc.). Also to continue would be Medicare benefits and SS. There are 2 million essential workers who would remain on the job.

Non-essential workers would be affected; there are 800,000 non-essentials that would not be reporting to work.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

... and I think I'll still be reporting for jury duty in Federal court.

Comment

Maybe it's not so bad an idea.

When (we) the American people realize how little we need our over-inflated, top-heavy, bloated government, we may be of a mind to initiate some significant changes.

What? Oh yeah. Just a dream, for sure.

But: fewer restrictive laws for victimless crimes = less expenditures for enforcement and punishment. I really LIKED "the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave," even though I've never been particularly brave.

Let them tumble through the corroded roofs of their corrupt schemes; patriots will be at hand to take over.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Call me oblivious.....but....

I did not notice the last time the government shut down.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I find it hard to be all woohoo, the government sucks, when a lot of friends and family members are going to be losing their jobs. It's easy to be taken in with the notion of the government as this big evil corporation out to such our blood but in reality it's just a bunch of everyday people trying to make a living, put dinner on the table.
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                a lot of friends and family members are going to be losing their jobs.
                Congress will determine whether “non-essential” workers receive pay for the furlough period (they were paid in 1995). Meanwhile, furloughed workers will be eligible for unemployment (after the one-week waiting period, of course). Not the same as a usual paycheck, but at least it is helpful!

Comment

The important part of shutting down the gvt. is that hundreds of thousands of people including not just federal workers but contractors and many others, will not be paid, their demand will drop out of the economy, and that will help to abort the economic recovery that has only now just begun, from an economic disaster that hasn't been rivaled since the Great Depression. Just like shrinking government itself, the goal is to promote another bad recession so that Republicans can blame President Obama and win in 2012. Then of course the goal is to privatize social security and dump out of medicare so the campaign contributors can steal all that money. Killing off unions and collective bargaining, crushing the middle class, elevating the wealthy privileged elite class, that is all in the agenda too. Defunding Planned Parenthood is now the prime sticking point in budget negotiations, forcing the religious views of the fundamentalist churches on everybody else. Did you ever notice abortion isn't even in the bible? I guess God just forgot to include it but these churches know better what was in God's mind than God Himself did, thats why they are qualified to use Big Government to dictate their will on the rest of us and....behold... STILL collect their precious tax exemption for being "non political" institutions. Its nothing short of a return to the Dark Ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                    Meanwhile, furloughed workers will be eligible for unemployment (after the one-week waiting period, of course). Not the same as a usual paycheck, but at least it is helpful!
                    Could you maintain your lifestyle on an unemployment benefits check? Full employment is what would be most helpful.

Sure, government shutdown is a good idea unless it affects you personally, like losing your job for a period of time. This whole budget impasse could have been avoided if the budget eliminated the current tax break for the wealthy, those earning over $250K a year. Next social security and medicare are in the sights of the Rethug/Bagger members of Congress. Hold on, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

"Let them eat cake!" Marie Antoinette
                    Last edited by matapule; April 8, 2011, 06:26 AM.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      Call me oblivious.....but....

I did not notice the last time the government shut down.
                      Obviously, you weren't laid off as a result, were you?
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Could you maintain your lifestyle on an unemployment benefits check? Full employment is what would be most helpful.
                        Hurmph, I did not say that unemployment benefits equates to an employment paycheck.

Comment

Defunding Planned Parenthood is now the prime sticking point in budget negotiations, forcing the religious views of the fundamentalist churches on everybody else.
                          Isn't that such a short sighted place to cut?? Taking something that is legal, then deciding it is "bad" and should not be funded. Perhaps it is evidence of "a bunch of RICH MEN at work" making the decisions, in this case that directly relate to lower income WOMEN and families? (Approx 4 out of 5 in Congress are men.)

Comment

The cons have painted themselves into a day-glo corner with their endless arrogant shenanigans, they either have to admit failure on this whole 'we care about the spending' scheme or blatantly come off as what they always are, petty, evil, partisan white boy idealogs, who don't give a rip about us.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Did you ever notice abortion isn't even in the bible?
                              What part of "Thou shall not kill" did you not understand?

Rather than take this thread totally off track, let me just say it is arrogant hubris for us to arbitrarily determine when a foetus becomes a "life."
                              There are good arguments on both sides of the abortion issue; here is not the place to make them. Cancelling funding for Planned Parenthood, however, is not something to be done without considerable discussion, and it is an irresponsible act to make it a political football.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X