Ed Case enters race for U.S. Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ed Case enters race for U.S. Senate

I think she was saying what most people were thinking as far as Hirono's campaign ad stressing her childhood experience from an immigrants point of view...we heard about in the last election, tell us what you are going to do, after all most immigrants have the same story to tell.

Comment

I'm not an immigrant and I want to know the back stories of people I might decide to put my trust in. Case in point...I was looking for a new PCP. After researching several excellent suggestions I decided on a Vietnamese doctor who's back story was so compelling...boat person, one of 100+ refugees crammed onto a 31 foot boat heading for freedom when the boat conked out and drifted for 6 days before being found in the very nick of time. He finally got to Hawaii where, with hard work, he realized the American dream with both pharmacy and MD degrees. And his great reviews also helped my decision! I respectfully disagree, D'Alani!. Not all immigrant stories are alike and they can and do make a difference.

Comment

I agree with you tutusue that all immigrant stories are not alike and that some are very compelling. I guess the point I was trying to get across is Mazie used an almost identical ad when she initially ran for office and she for some reason refer to it everytime she runs for office. I too admire and am in awe of a lot of immgrants and how they made it to the USA and overcame obstacles that most of us would not endure. I was mostly responding to WB's post.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
          I agree with you tutusue that all immigrant stories are not alike and that some are very compelling. I guess the point I was trying to get across is Mazie used an almost identical ad when she initially ran for office and she for some reason refer to it everytime she runs for office.
          If Mazie was a political newcomer, with little to show to voters as far as a record is concerned when it comes to lawmaking and governance, then yes. Dwelling on one's background as an immigrant would be understandable. But Hirono has been in elective office at the state or federal level for 28 out of the last 32 years.

When politicians like Fasi and Mink had reached the stage of where they were politically active for that amount of time, they had commercials/infomercials that mostly focused on a long record of accomplishments while in office. In contrast, Mazie keeps falling back on the same stories about being raised by a single mother and overcoming the challenges that she faced as an immigrant. It's old and pathetic, IMO. But so many voters just keep on eating it up, time and time again.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Mazie keeps falling back on the same stories about being raised by a single mother and overcoming the challenges that she faced as an immigrant. It's old and pathetic, IMO. But so many voters just keep on eating it up, time and time again.
            Or, perhaps enough of us realized what a sleaze Case is, and voted for Mazie by default.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I understand repetition can be an issue. It is for me, too...regardless of the topic! And now we have the non-stop negative ads. Lingle didn't waste one minute...maybe not one second! I have the clicker attached to my hand 'til 11/6 to mute all political ads.

Comment

What would have been a tougher fight in the general? Case versus Lingle, or Hirono versus Lingle? At least one person I know threw in with Hirono because she wants to see Lingle win in November.

Comment

I cannot be overly upset about any of the above mentioned candidates when in the meanwhile we now have a US Congress candidate (R)(Crowley) who has this on his official website:

It's all about the relentless chipping away by Liberal Leftists over the past 40 years of our Personal/Business Rights, and Freedom To Choose. This is about a grotesque Breastfeeding Nannie-I know what's best for you-Big Government. This is about protecting each of us from Nazi style Social Experimentation, Extreme Governmental Regulation and Intrusion. The ultimate intentions of the Beast... that of the total elimination of Personal Responsibility, and the total dissemination of COMPLETE government control over the populace, in order to specifically and ultimately END Citizen Uprising and GUN OWNERSHIP
                  Has anyone else noticed this candidate, who happened to have won his primary race? Maybe it is actually a commentary on how/why the Republican Party picks its candidates??
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    If Mazie was a political newcomer, with little to show to voters as far as a record is concerned when it comes to lawmaking and governance, then yes.
                    I recall that when Mazie Hirono came out unequivocally against the Iraq war she was pretty much alone among prominent Democrats. It's important to be right about the big things. At that time, she got my vote for all future elections.
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      I cannot be overly upset about any of the above mentioned candidates when in the meanwhile we now have a US Congress candidate (R)(Crowley) who has this on his official website:
                      ===============
                      Has anyone else noticed this candidate, who happened to have won his primary race? Maybe it is actually a commentary on how/why the Republican Party picks its candidates??
                      Does Kawika Crowley even have an ice-cube in Hell's chance of beating Gabbard? AlohaKine ought to be one of Crowley's supporters, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Does Kawika Crowley even have an ice-cube in Hell's chance of beating Gabbard? AlohaKine ought to be one of Crowley's supporters, though.
                        Probably NOT. Still makes me wonder, though, why the Republican Party choose him ... or can someone run on any ticket they want, regardless of party leadership's support or not? Any politicians here to share info on "how it's done"?
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                          I recall that when Mazie Hirono came out unequivocally against the Iraq war she was pretty much alone among prominent Democrats.
                          Huh? When exactly did she stand alone against the Iraq war?

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                          It's important to be right about the big things. At that time, she got my vote for all future elections.
                          Blind loyalty is not something that I consider a virtue. Every candidate that hopes to gain my vote has to earn it at every election. Even folks that might have gotten my support for 10 years cannot automatically assume that I will be on their side indefinitely.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            What would have been a tougher fight in the general? Case versus Lingle, or Hirono versus Lingle? At least one person I know threw in with Hirono because she wants to see Lingle win in November.
                            Oooooh. You uncover my deepest secrets.

I am registered as a democrat. Although I respect many democrats,and vote for them religiously, the main reason I registered as democrat was to support D-losers, and allow R-winners to defeat them.

I think that Hawaii is too much a 'one-party' state, and long to see some balance. I vote for D-losers in the primary on occasion, to allow Republicans an honest chance.

It hardly works (except for LLingle), but I like to see a balance.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              Still makes me wonder, though, why the Republican Party choose him ... or can someone run on any ticket they want, regardless of party leadership's support or not?
                              Anyone can register and run a party campaign with a stated preference - it doesn't mean they have the support of said party's officials (in fact, I've seen many campaigns where a party publicly distances themselves from a candidate). In Crowley's case, he was chosen by voters in the primary, having beaten businessman Matthew DiGeronimo.

(DiGeronimo, btw, is not to be confused with the `ukulele player from Iowa, who shares his name - but whose website misspells "`ukulele" as both "ukelele" and "ukalele.")

Comment

Working...
                              X