Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you 'lurk' on Facebook?

Originally posted by mel View Post
    The one thing about Facebook - is that you can moderate your own space and read or keep track of messages/people that you'd be interested in to the exclusion of everyone else.
    I don't remember who said this on tv. He said that he didn't want a Facebook account is that they will see that he went on their Facebook page. I feel the same way. I don't have a Facebook account. So, Can you lurk on people you know or others Facebook page without your identity being revealed.

Having your identity exposed prevents going on the Facebook page of people you had a crush on from the past. So, I have to just settle for goggle their name.
    Last edited by Walkoff Balk; April 10, 2011, 12:38 AM. Reason: add

Re: What happened here?

To answer your question directly, yes you can lurk on other people's facebook page.

This is why when you do get a FB account, you must realize all comments are public material unless you PM someone, just like here on HT.

The nice thing about FB is you can moderate your page by removing content you or others put on your page.

If lurking is your thing, simply create a FB page with another email address that doesn't identify your name, just like here on HT.

On FB, you are trying to let people know who you are so discussion is a bit more civilized than here on HT where you can hide your true identity. This is why I prefer to discuss things more openly on FB because responders will act a bit more civil instead of being a flaming asshole.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      To answer your question directly, yes you can lurk on other people's facebook page. [...]
      Sometimes yes, sometimes no! It depends on each person's privacy settings. If it's set for "friends only" then no one outside one's list of friends can lurk. Most of my FB account is set to friends only. I think I have a few photo albums set to "friends of friends".

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        I don't remember who said this on tv. He said that he didn't want a Facebook account is that they will see that he went on their Facebook page. I feel the same way. I don't have a Facebook account. So, Can you lurk on people you know or others Facebook page without your identity being revealed.

Having your identity exposed prevents going on the Facebook page of people you had a crush on from the past. So, I have to just settle for goggle their name.
        Ummm...... my response to this is.... ewww......

just a little too creepy for me.

Comment

Re: Can you 'lurk' on Facebook?

Facebook is way too much fun to care about stuff like that.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post

Is this directed at me? If that's the case. Then, someone thinks highly of herself that guys would visit her Facebook page without a photo.
            This kind of competitive banter won't happen on Facebook pages because people just delete the posts on their page that disagree with theirs.
            Who says, "ewww..." after high school?
            Last edited by Walkoff Balk; April 11, 2011, 06:19 PM. Reason: add

Comment

WB- most people use FaceBook to keep in contact with family and friends. There are also some who use it as a "popularity contest", and will accept anyone who makes a request to be a friend. I keep my list short & sweet - and limit all access to friends only.

In other words, if YOU tried to see my stuff on FB - you couldn't. So, you can't really "lurk" like you can on here. FaceBook is really fun as Susie says and I love getting back in contact with family and I've also found a few old friends. I also find that FB is lot more "civil" since you can't really hide behind a fake ID - your name & your picture are right there on your page. So you have to take responsibility for what you say and how you behave. and you can also edit out what you don't like and you can get rid of friends when you want to if necessary. and believe me - there are more than a few who been removed from my list
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I monitor my Facebook privacy settings quite regularly because Facebook is always changing/adding new types of public settings which I often change to private.

Which means for those who are not my friend, they will just see my basic picture icon and my Facebook URL. That's it.

Look here: http://www.facebook.com/macprohawaii

If you like you can friend me, if not, no big deal. I pick and choose anyway. More control than here.

And for those who are on my friends list, they don't have full access to everything I post there. Some things I do not even disclose, and some photo albums are private only for selected friends. You can set that up in Facebook privacy settings.

One thing I hated on Facebook are the games. I don't do them. Recently Facebook started a new setting so that I can ignore all game posts by my friends. Not interested in any of that.

I only have about 3 apps that access my Facebook information. I generally don't let apps access any of my Facebook info/profile. Those external apps and sites that I use, I log in separately from my Facebook user account. Some like YouTube allow me to at least embed videos back to my Facebook profile, which I do a lot.

If you friend me I have a lot of conservative political links/videos, music videos old and new, pictures, my twitter stream, and other stuff.

But I control it. Somebody says something I don't like... or if I say something I regret... delete it I can. Doesn't happen too often, but I like that option.

MEL
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I agree with Mel - I constantly monitor my settings too. and I don't have my personal info on there - no phone #'s, address or email addresses.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Lurk was the wrong word to use. A better description would be to fast forward through webpages of interest.

Comment

before you can do anything on FaceBook - you have to join it.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post

Still no apology. No one apologizes anymore unless they are public figures forced into doing it. When you call them out on a remark. They dig out, hide, and then become lurkers themselves without posting anymore. From what I read, you can't dig out,hide, and lurk on Facebook.

Comment

Is this directed at me? If that's the case. Then, someone thinks highly of herself that guys would visit her Facebook page without a photo.
                          This kind of competitive banter won't happen on Facebook pages because people just delete the posts on their page that disagree with theirs.
                          Who says, "ewww..." after high school?
                          Still no apology. No one apologizes anymore unless they are public figures forced into doing it. When you call them out on a remark. They dig out, hide, and then become lurkers themselves without posting anymore. From what I read, you can't dig out,hide, and lurk on Facebook.
                          Apologize? Competitive banter? no no no..... My reaction to your first post was simply a knee jerk reaction to the practice of people constantly googling anyone they meet - and trying to be a little silly about it....... Though I must say, my reaction to your second post reinforced the first. I did not reply because - as they say - I was taking the high road and letting it slide. How do you know I don't have a picture on facebook? And why on earth would you care? Honest to pete........ you do realize that I am a middle aged, slightly overweight woman who has been married for almost 35 yrs? I assure you, good sir, that I have absolutely no interest in "guys" finding me on facebook or anywhere else. I am more interested in topics such as when will I become a grandmother and how soon will my husband and I be able to retire.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/whos-w...213557740.html

Every move you make.
                            Every breath you take.
                            Someone is watching you.

Comment

Working...
                            X